Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Have you considered designing and building a pair on your own? There are lots of places to buy the components. Try Parts Express for one. There are also tons of websites with ideas on how to design them if you want to look at what others are doing.
    Ports or no ports? Pros and cons to both. You like sealed? Nothing wrong with that. A little tighter with less boom.
    Did you look at the Infinity Beta 50's. Two ten inchers, three way, in a sealed box that don't sound bad at all.
    Another option is to go planner. A very different sound. The Magnepans are very good at the $1000 level.

Sorry if we (I) came off as jerks. Sometimes we are.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ID=29&wt.svl=1

http://www.magnepan.com/_mmgw_c.php
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

$1000 Diy

Quote Originally Posted by voluble

I'm not looking to spend more than about $1000 for the pair. I used to be in the industry and you can buy any components you want and assemble them for a heck of a lot less than that and still have an obscene mark-up. Diamonds aren't marked up as much as these things!

If I were prepared to spend $1000 for a pair of DIY speakers, (and I would if I didn't have other priorities), then this is what I'd consider.

For mid/woofer, Accuton C92-6 7" ceramic driver. With its relatively low Fs and high Qts, it's ideal for a sealed box design. Check it out here ...
    The major issue with this unit is a wicked response spike at around 5kHz. You'll need to get around this with a low crossover point and a 4th order crossover design.

I'd pair this with an Accuton C23-6 1.2" ceramic tweeter which will easily take the load from a 2000Hz crossover point. See the same reference, above.

Otherwise maybe an Aurum Cantus G3si ribbon tweeter. This should work from 2000Hz too, assuming a 4th order xover. See it here ...
    Sealed boxes are less critical to design than ported boxes too; the Accutons will go ideally in a box about .75ft^3. Don't for get to use excellent crossover components including foil inductors and film & foil capacitors. Also, use a baffle shelf compensation circuit for a decent tonal balance.

Forum Regular
    Man, a $1000.00 DIY project could come out SWEET! There is some serious potential there. Quality drivers are surprisingly reasonable. I have to think your DIY crossover would be top-notch as compared to what you might get in a commercial unit.

www.madisound.com is a great resource. Their forums have very experienced people, you could surely find a tested and proven design from which to start. I did a project recently and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Bought the stuff from there.

www.partsexpress.com is great. Their DIY forum is good.

Some of the driver manufacturers will have proven DIY designs as well. www.seas.no

Ask around and the folks will be very helpful.

jocko

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Voluble here is the link for the kit I mentioned as the sight was down http://audionotekits.espyderweb.net/ Drivers are from speicalty designs from SEAS and Foster/Tonnegan and the cabinet is no void Russian Birch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information