Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
    Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

It's no myth

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    No components hooked up to it so the tuner is all there is. In fact, this thing's cheap-O-tuner picks up better than my new more expensive Yammie. What's up with that?
    Tuners in older receivers are BETTER than the ones you get today. I found this out myself when I hooked my old (~20yo) receiver up in place of my "Elite" one.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Tuners in older receivers are BETTER than the ones you get today. I found this out myself when I hooked my old (~20yo) receiver up in place of my "Elite" one.
    My yammie has way too many programable set stations for the number of stations that actually come in. This old Panasonic, that was pocket change when it was new, brings in hundreds of stations. The tuner knob has a fly wheel built into it (not sure why). If you give it a spin it will go all the way down the band. You can hear every station go by and make out what was going on for each of them.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    My yammie has way too many programable set stations for the number of stations that actually come in. This old Panasonic, that was pocket change when it was new, brings in hundreds of stations. The tuner knob has a fly wheel built into it (not sure why). If you give it a spin it will go all the way down the band. You can hear every station go by and make out what was going on for each of them.

I wished I lived in an area where there were more than two stations I wanted to listen to at any length. Hundreds of stations would be nice. Hey at least we know someone who can still make 8 tracks.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I wished I lived in an area where there were more than two stations I wanted to listen to at any length. Hundreds of stations would be nice. Hey at least we know someone who can still make 8 tracks.

Sure, it will still record. It can even record with the levels set automatically or manually. db readouts and everything. Just don't ask me to use the mixing mic to input anything. Blew that input years ago by plugging in my electric guitar to play along with my LP's. I know, not the right way. So I found out.

The younger I was the dumber things I did.

Even with hundreds of stations I cann't find one I like for more than a few minutes.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    omg, some of you guys are ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by dave123456@mail.com
    omg, some of you guys are ridiculous!
    C'mon name names, I hope I am included.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I think he may mean me. Who in their right mind plugs a stienburger guitar into the mixing mic of an old (not so old then) Panasonic receiver 8-track recorder combo to use as an amp? I mean, really? What was I thinking?

Forum Regular
    I bet if RGA and Florian met at like CES or something, then theyd probabaly get into a fist fight over who owns better speakers lol.

Forum Regular
    Well, whoever was in the middle of the big argument about halfway through this thread. I think you were in it, but i dont want to re read the entire thread to find out.

Audiophiles are nuts!

I bet if RGA and Florian met at like CES or something, then theyd probabaly get into a fist fight over who owns better speakers lol.
    My money would be on them getting along better in person. I think they'd spend hours listening to eachother's stuff.

Forum Regular
    My money would be on them getting along better in person. I think they'd spend hours listening to eachother's stuff.
    Yeah, maybe. But the way they both act on these forums, then im sure one would make a negative comment about the others stereo...

Anyways, I think it would be pretty cool to meet other audiophiles and listen to their gear. I know id like to hear some Audio Note, JM Reynaud, Von Scwekiert ( however its spelt) and all those other good speakers people rave about. Im actually planning on attending a get together that one of my local audio clubs is hosting so that I can hear some great gear without having to harass dealers.
    Last edited by dave123456@mail.com; 11-08-2005 at 05:06 PM.

Well RGA and I would properbly get along quite well. The issue is that our system are 100% different, they have absolutly no common ground whatsoever. I had many people at my house, 2 reviewers and owners of 20.1's, Thiels, Apogees, Magnepan 3.6, VMPS Distributor, Biggest B&W dealer in europe and some more. I have no need to defend my system or measure it against some others, these people already confirmed what my ears are telling me. All i want to do is SHARE information and show everyone that not only wooden boxes and cones can make music. Yes RGA and I get into absolutly silly fights, but he does the same in other forums. I actually only get pissed in this forum ;-) I dont know why, but lately it has been quite well. I respect Audio Note and their aproach, i dont think its the right aproach but thats what i hear. He likes a different sound, and thats ok. I much rather fight with him over silly things then kiss everyones ass and make them feelgood about their 50$ boxes and he is the same way. Mention a thread like AudioNote E vs. Paradigm X and watch him jump in and enjoy the fight. And i can understand that because thats one of his fav. speakers. Quite normal!

All is well, and i hope i actually meet him in person someday. I am sure it would be fun because we have one thing in common. We both LOVE our brands and know what they can and cant do and none of us would buy a mainstream product.

Cheers
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    and none of us would buy a mainstream product.

Cheers
    Hey! My stuff is semi-main-stream. You take that back now mister.

Hey! My stuff is semi-main-stream. You take that back now mister.
    Hehehe, well you know how i mean it

Hehehe, well you know how i mean it
    Yeah, I did. But it was fun anyhow.

Well, whoever was in the middle of the big argument about halfway through this thread. I think you were in it, but i dont want to re read the entire thread to find out.

Audiophiles are nuts!
    Audiophiles are nuts! I resemble that remark. I think that's deffinition of character.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I think the term audiophile and equipmentphile is quite good actually. For instance as soon as someone is envious on expensive stuff they label someone a equipmentfile and say that they care about the music. I think that a audiophile and equipmentfile are essentially the same, because you HAVE to try out all kinds of equipment to reach your goal. At least i do.

And yes if you consider spending 10000$ in order to render a violin in a room, then i guess i qualify as nuts

I love checking out as much equipment as possible as often as possible.
    What about my nuts? Are you checking out my equipment?

Na, i leave that to your wife

Are we enough off topic now?

Na, i leave that to your wife

Are we enough off topic now?
    Topic? You mean RGA and Audio Note? Don't remember the last post for that. But what else are we to do? It's not like we could start a new link called, "miscellaneous topics, just join in. warning, smutty."

Oh AudioNote and RGA was the original topic, well nevermind then lets stay off topic. So whats the most stupidest and disgusting thing you have done when you were a boy? I start first! I pissed in my parents fishtank and killed all the fish cause i was too afraid to go downstairs since the stairs were out of wood and acing at night

Oh AudioNote and RGA was the original topic, well nevermind then lets stay off topic. So whats the most stupidest and disgusting thing you have done when you were a boy? I start first! I pissed in my parents fishtank and killed all the fish cause i was too afraid to go downstairs since the stairs were out of wood and acing at night
    That wouldn't have been so bad if you weren't 17 at the time.

That wouldn't have been so bad if you weren't 17 at the time.
    HAHAHHA, well 19 LOL j/k I think i was 9 or so

I guess it would have to be when I was 4. We were on a road trip coming back from Ohio. My dad had the worst temper in the world back then. I had asked once that we stop so I could go and was told to hold it. I was afraid to ask again so I ended up going in the back corner of the VW van were in. Not number 1 mind you. It wasn't long before everyone started noticing an oder.
    Last edited by GMichael; 11-09-2005 at 10:17 AM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread Information