seeking solace in music

Where should I sit?

Opinions requested.

New Speakers coming!

Room, after soundproofing modifications, dimensions are:- 4.5mts wide by 7mts long.

In construction, so the walls will not be perpendicular, to offset bouncing waves.

I notice that a lot of you sit around 2-3metre from the speakers. I want to sit around 5mtres (16ft), from the speakers.

What amplitutude of speakers should I expect to use?

I believe I have enough power in my amps and if you can guage that my intended speakers have a sensitivity of around 90 ---- what distance can I expect to comfortably sit at to get the best sound?

Slipps On
    In the music world Impetuosity is not just a youthful trait; I'll explain if you type slowly.

Howzit Slipps

At 90db sensitivity either at 4ohm or 8 ohm nominal impedence, you will have absolutely no problem filling your 14ft x 21ft listening room. My own listeining room is about 15ft x 23ft which is approximately the same as your room. Your going to be limited as to how far you can turn the volume up (especially if you have neighbours), rather than the other way around... What kind of speakers are you getting?

Hi slips

if you leave something like 60 - 75 cm space between the side wall and the speaker, so the speakers are about 3 metres apart from eachother, then 5 metres is far, not too far, but just far...

I'd rather sit at 4 metres or 3 metres (or something in between).

Alot of brands believe in the golden triangle (as cardas calls it), where the distance from the one speaker to the other is the same as from one speaker to the ear. I'd start from there when placing speakers...
    you can find the cardas guide on their site, if you really want to know

whatever those speakers will be, I bet they're huge, since you want to sit 5 metres away

Keep them spinning...
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

seeking solace in music
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Howzit Slipps

At 90db sensitivity either at 4ohm or 8 ohm nominal impedence, you will have absolutely no problem filling your 14ft x 21ft listening room. My own listeining room is about 15ft x 23ft which is approximately the same as your room. Your going to be limited as to how far you can turn the volume up (especially if you have neighbours), rather than the other way around... What kind of speakers are you getting?

O'Shag, You goddam Irishman, I do believe you've got it right!

The Speakers are "OverkillAudio" Encores. No neighbours...and the best sound I have ever heard. (Came a close second to Avangarde Duos.

Exclamation Mark.

Slippers On.
    In the music world Impetuosity is not just a youthful trait; I'll explain if you type slowly.

I don't want to know how much you paid for those
    But congratulations! I'll be expecting to hear more

Alright Slipps!

Wow, if they are close in performance to the Avantgarde Duos - they must sound darn good! I'll be posting pics of my system some time this week. You'll have to post some pics and also give us a review of the Encores. By the way, it must be great to live in Barcelona. Its a great city.

seeking solace in music
    Hopefully I have included a couple of photos of the Encores on this post.

I won't have them imported and in situ until around September, when I will post some photos of my set-ups but for now if you wish to read about them there is a very good article on 6Moons where Srajan Ebaen reviewed them. Incidently I only realised recently that Srajan's own reference speakers are non-other than the Avantgarde Duos I referred to in my earlier post so the comparison is well worth the read.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/overkill/encore.html

Where should I sit?-resized_small_img_4461.jpg

Name:  Resized_1105650730.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  Resized_2006_0507Image0048.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  13.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers On
    Hopefully I have included a couple of photos of the Encores on this post.

I won't have them imported and in situ until around September, when I will post some photos of my set-ups but for now if you wish to read about them there is a very good article on 6Moons where Srajan Ebaen reviewed them. Incidently I only realised recently that Srajan's own reference speakers are non-other than the Avantgarde Duos I referred to in my earlier post so the comparison is well worth the read.

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/overkill/encore.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_small_IMG_4461.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	3411

Name:  Resized_1105650730.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  Resized_2006_0507Image0048.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  13.7 KB
    Those are some d'm gorgeous speakers there slip! Just beautiful.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    The farther you sit from your speakers, the more room control becomes important. At the distance you plan to sit from your speakers, your room will be contributing more to what you hear than your speakers themselves.

Also consider the fact that amplitude falls with distance. So you are going to have to crank up the volume a bit to get the kind of immersive effect that a good speaker can provide.

And lastly(and this depends your listening habits) high frequencies also fall with distance, alot sooner than bass and midrange frequencies because of air obsorption. You may have to adjust the tweeter response to compensate.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

seeking solace in music
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    The farther you sit from your speakers, the more room control becomes important. At the distance you plan to sit from your speakers, your room will be contributing more to what you hear than your speakers themselves.

Also consider the fact that amplitude falls with distance. So you are going to have to crank up the volume a bit to get the kind of immersive effect that a good speaker can provide.

And lastly(and this depends your listening habits) high frequencies also fall with distance, alot sooner than bass and midrange frequencies because of air obsorption. You may have to adjust the tweeter response to compensate.

Hi Sir T t T,

All good points and I take them onboard. The Encores come with outboard digital crossovers in the form of an Australian DEQX unit. This is a combined Crossover/preamp/ DAC/Room Correction box of tricks.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/deqx/deqx.html

The designer of the speakers, Derek Wilson, will come over to Barcelona and set up the speakers initially, over a 2 day period to match the rooms characteristics using the DEQX and laptop computer. I will then have control using up to 3 programmed formulas using the remote control OR using a laptop myself I can put in my own progammes to suit any room or seating position changes. (I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to change things at this stage). Also, should there be any major room changes Derek will return with his laptop and do the whole thing again. It's all part of the package.

I am concentrating a lot at the moment on sound-proofing the room so as to minimise room signature. This involves building a room within a room to give me silence and also building strategic book/LP shelving to take care of dispersion and absorption. I'm also going to some lengths separating the electricity supply and earthing.

Regards

Slippers On

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Hi Sir T t T,

All good points and I take them onboard. The Encores come with outboard digital crossovers in the form of an Australian DEQX unit. This is a combined Crossover/preamp/ DAC/Room Correction box of tricks.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/deqx/deqx.html

The designer of the speakers, Derek Wilson, will come over to Barcelona and set up the speakers initially, over a 2 day period to match the rooms characteristics using the DEQX and laptop computer. I will then have control using up to 3 programmed formulas using the remote control OR using a laptop myself I can put in my own progammes to suit any room or seating position changes. (I doubt I'll ever be brave enough to change things at this stage). Also, should there be any major room changes Derek will return with his laptop and do the whole thing again. It's all part of the package.

I am concentrating a lot at the moment on sound-proofing the room so as to minimise room signature. This involves building a room within a room to give me silence and also building strategic book/LP shelving to take care of dispersion and absorption. I'm also going to some lengths separating the electricity supply and earthing.

Regards

Slippers On
    Well, you step on Slippers. You have this under control bro bro!!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Well done, SO. The room and the AC are definitely players in the game.

rw

Thread Information