What do you think of MTX home audio speakers?

What are your experiences with mtx home audio speakers? Do you consider them to be decent and are they reliable?

Thanks,

Bjorn

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    Decent? No. Reliable? Depends. Cheap in every way? Yes.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T
    Samsung LN46C630 46" LCD
    Denon DBP-1611 bluray
    -----------------------------
    KEF K120- Jolida JD202a- Cambridge Audio D300 cdp- T500 tuner

Photo gallery

Depends on what you want them for...

Sound quality ain't the best. You don't want to try to sit in front of these and listen to jazz (or anything else for that matter). They'll chew up your eardrums and spit them out!!!

For basement dance parties, they're hard to beat. They are efficient, cheap, and can handle high power levels as well. These speakers will take quite a beating without being damaged. Still need a sub even with the larger models. Loud, but not great in the bass department. I'd say about 80% the sound quality of Cerwin Vegas at a fraction of the cost with even a little better reliability. Fun to have around (large power amp and sub a plus).

I sort of agree with the post directly above this one. I never looked at MTX as a great home audio company. in fact, a lot of their home audio stuff is kinda crappy, but i recently put together a 5.1 system which includes MTX Monitor series speakers and a velodyne cht-12 sub. I absolutely love every bit of it, but i was wondering if i was nuts for having mtx home audio speakers and liking them. The only thing i dont like about them is that they dont have the best highs.

Anyway, I just was trying to make sure i wasn't a lunatic

You could do alot worse...

For dirt-cheap speakers, these have a reasonably flat frequency response across their range. Highs are a little lacking which makes them a little harsh to my ears. Pretty good for home theater. Most speakers in this price range have very poor crossovers, uneven frequency response, and won't come close in durability. The efficiency / high power handling is a plus also.

exactly my thoughts. playing test tones, they are flat from about 35 hz to about 16000 hz.. but they are rated from 25-20k. might be that my ears cant hear those high notes though too They sound pretty good for movies without a sub but the velodyne makes them shine.

Forum Regular
    I own the MTX Monitor 12's , and agree that you can do alot worse. But you could also do alot better. But for the money they are decent. These speakers have a good amount of bass that isnt exagerated at all- it actually integrates well with the rest of the frequencies. The bass dynamics are pretty good too, as the bass seems to be pretty punchy and not one noted.

To be honest i listend to them more than my PSB Stratus Mini's , but to be fair the PSB's greatly outclass the rest of the components i have them paired with. The MTX's are in a system which is all lo-fi. I have a feeling though, that when i upgrade the rest of the PSB system, then they will be much more satisfying to listen to. Also, ive tried both system in two different rooms, and enjoyed the MTX's more in both rooms, for some reason. The psb;s are more detailed, have a flatter response and are more "accurate", but the mtx's ahve me sitting down listening to music more.

Here is what makes up both of my systems:

MTX Monitor 12's
    Onkyo TX-8511
    Kenwood cd 404 5 disc changer

PSB Stratus Mini's
    Cambridge AZUR 540a
    Toshiba sd 3950

yeah i've realized that too! I know they arent the best of the best or anything like that, but i love listening to them. Also, at $200 for a pair (i got them on clearance), i was able to put together a cheap surround system that sounds pretty good

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    yeah i've realized that too! I know they arent the best of the best or anything like that, but i love listening to them. Also, at $200 for a pair (i got them on clearance), i was able to put together a cheap surround system that sounds pretty good
    what models did u get?

I have Monitor 12s for the front left and front right, Monitor 6C for the center, and Monitor 10s for the surrounds also have a Velodyne CHT-12 as a sub and HK AVR130 receiver

Forum Regular
    I have Monitor 12s for the front left and front right, Monitor 6C for the center, and Monitor 10s for the surrounds also have a Velodyne CHT-12 as a sub and HK AVR130 receiver
    They should sound pretty good then. Im listening to Joe Satriani's " Surfing With The Alien " right now and its enjoyable.

what kind of receiver do you have yours set up with? Also, did you mess with any of the equalizer settings?

I have the trebble on my receiver maxed out and the bass set to neutral

Forum Regular
    what kind of receiver do you have yours set up with? Also, did you mess with any of the equalizer settings?

Im using an Onkyo TX-8511 stereo reciever with my MTX's. I have the treble set about three fourths of the way, i feel that if i turn the treble down anymore it makes the sound too bland. When i had the MTX's in my smaller room i turned the bass all the way down, but now that im in a much larger room i have the bass in the middle, sometimes more if im listening to beastie boys or something of that genre.

Suspended
    I am looking to purchase a pair of MTX AAL 200 watt home speakers. Any thoughts? How old are these? Decent quality?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Also, did you mess with any of the equalizer settings???
    waleeed

Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post

Not trying to be snarky or anything but have you had your hearing checked lately? Also, are you sure the tweeters in your speakers are functioning?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Thread Information