Forum Regular

Question 'Running in' new drivers..

Hi all, loving my Mission 770Fs fresh from Mission Service, was advised "no loud volume at first as drivers are new..!"
    I don't go mad with the vol control but how long is a running in period..?

Paul/runt

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by runt
    Hi all, loving my Mission 770Fs fresh from Mission Service, was advised "no loud volume at first as drivers are new..!"
    I don't go mad with the vol control but how long is a running in period..?

Paul/runt
    This is a big source of debate in the audio world. Some people claim hundreds of hours, some claim no time at all.

I've personally measured noticeable differences in the T/S parameters of drivers after only 15-20 minutes, but after an hour or so the differences began to fall within the range of tolerance of my measurement equipment.

I suppose where there's moving parts, at some level the driver is always breaking-in but after a few hours you've probably done the most "run-in" work.

Don't be afraid to turn it up to safe volumes that you could use once the speaker was fully run-in though. Louder volume might help break in the suspension a bit better? It shouldn't cause any damage that if it's within its recommended operating parameters. Remember, if things start to sound funny or bad, just turn it back down.

Forum Regular

Smile

Thank you sir, funnily enough I am already noticing an amazingly clean h/f, the tweeters were found to be fine but they fitted new diaphrams the lack of any harshness compared to my old 737R is stunning, as you advise I will progressively increase vol over the coming days, I have a Cambridge 640C v2 as source, with the NAD 3150 int driving them, hopefully a good signal.

Paul/runt

Thread Information