• 01-30-2009, 07:16 AM
    runt
    'Running in' new drivers..
    Hi all, loving my Mission 770Fs fresh from Mission Service, was advised "no loud volume at first as drivers are new..!"
    I don't go mad with the vol control but how long is a running in period..?

Paul/runt
  • 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by runt
    Hi all, loving my Mission 770Fs fresh from Mission Service, was advised "no loud volume at first as drivers are new..!"
    I don't go mad with the vol control but how long is a running in period..?

Paul/runt

This is a big source of debate in the audio world. Some people claim hundreds of hours, some claim no time at all.

I've personally measured noticeable differences in the T/S parameters of drivers after only 15-20 minutes, but after an hour or so the differences began to fall within the range of tolerance of my measurement equipment.

I suppose where there's moving parts, at some level the driver is always breaking-in but after a few hours you've probably done the most "run-in" work.

Don't be afraid to turn it up to safe volumes that you could use once the speaker was fully run-in though. Louder volume might help break in the suspension a bit better? It shouldn't cause any damage that if it's within its recommended operating parameters. Remember, if things start to sound funny or bad, just turn it back down.
  • 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
    runt
    Thank you sir, funnily enough I am already noticing an amazingly clean h/f, the tweeters were found to be fine but they fitted new diaphrams the lack of any harshness compared to my old 737R is stunning, as you advise I will progressively increase vol over the coming days, I have a Cambridge 640C v2 as source, with the NAD 3150 int driving them, hopefully a good signal.

Paul/runt