Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Upgraded to PSB GB1's

Took the plunge today and upgraded to the PSB GB1's. I was using the PSB B25's but happed to be passing by my dealer and stopped in to sit down and take a listen to the GB1's.

Boy is the this one hell of a speaker. It is definite improvement over the B25's in all areas. The biggest thing I notice was the scale of the image and how open, focused, and detailed voices where. The B25's had a sorta smeared image that lacked focus. The midrange was dead neutral accompanied by a much smoother top end compared to the B25's. Bass is tighter and more defined. But does not seem to have the extension that the B25's had. Seems like they gave some extension for accuracy.

So far I'm EXTREMELY pleased with what I'm hearing. I will report more in a week or two after they have broken in.

Here are some pics to look at in the mean time.

Are you using them for your mains?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

It's a 2 channel only system. The sub you see is used on occasion for movies. But is actually getting sold to help finance the upgrade.

Hey Peruvian Skies...NOW ya gotta hear the G Series ASAP. Been a few converts here lately.

Well...Congrates man. Got my GT-1s a few weeks back and they are truly an amazing speaker line and totally impress me with every different album.

I still need to get the GC-1 for the center channel and will probably get the GBs in the near future. Will be waiting for your promised report.

ENJOY!!!

What are you driving them with? I've always been a fan of PSB, I've got an Alpha setup in place right now for the video rig.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Polk Audio Customer Service

in other PSB related news...

Tonight I decided to try something different...

So I took my old PSB 7PT's and swapped out my Polk Monitor 40 surrounds using the 7PT's as surrounds with the PSB Platinum T6's as my fronts. What a strange thing to have floorstanders as surrounds, which I know some people do and even recommend, but this was my first experience first-hand. I think I'll keep them in this setup for awhile. I will comment later on my findings, but my initial reaction is...strange, but good.

Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Took the plunge today and upgraded to the PSB GB1's. I was using the PSB B25's but happed to be passing by my dealer and stopped in to sit down and take a listen to the GB1's.

Boy is the this one hell of a speaker. It is definite improvement over the B25's in all areas. The biggest thing I notice was the scale of the image and how open, focused, and detailed voices where. The B25's had a sorta smeared image that lacked focus. The midrange was dead neutral accompanied by a much smoother top end compared to the B25's. Bass is tighter and more defined. But does not seem to have the extension that the B25's had. Seems like they gave some extension for accuracy.

So far I'm EXTREMELY pleased with what I'm hearing. I will report more in a week or two after they have broken in.

Here are some pics to look at in the mean time.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN
    What are you driving them with? I've always been a fan of PSB, I've got an Alpha setup in place right now for the video rig.

Cheers,
    Russ
    NAD C352 - Integrated Amp
    NAD C542 - CD Player

[/QUOTE]

Just curious, are those grills gray or is that just the photo? My GT-1s came with black grills and when I get the GB-1's for my rears I think I would want them black to match.

Thanks

I kinda like the gray...

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    Just curious, are those grills gray or is that just the photo? My GT-1s came with black grills and when I get the GB-1's for my rears I think I would want them black to match.

Thanks

[/QUOTE]

When I first got my PSB Platinum's I wasn't so sure about the gray grilles. Then again, there are few grilles that ARE grey, most are black. So they were unique. Now, after several months I really love the sporty, cool look of the gray, actually more silver than anything as they shine in the light.

I usually like to listen sans grills but my better half has talked me into leaving them on. Me thinks that they are a good looking speaker without tho

da grillz...

I usually like to listen sans grills but my better half has talked me into leaving them on. Me thinks that they are a good looking speaker without tho

I usually go back and forth with them on then off then on...can't make up my mind. However, recently I realized that with them ON it usually takes away some of the really penetrating high-end, which I prefer becuase on certain recordings this can be a little ear-piercing at higher volumes. So I am leaving them on...I don't notice much difference in performance with any of the other ranges.

The grills are black. It's just the light causing them to look gray.

The grills are black. It's just the light causing them to look gray.
    I still like the silver/gray. Nothing against black, but I think the silver can be classy. Important thing though is the sweet sound.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I still like the silver/gray. Nothing against black, but I think the silver can be classy. Important thing though is the sweet sound.
    Ya...I wouldn't mind silver but I already have black. Actually i would prefer no grills but I have to live with the little lady too.

I bet that high gloss shows bug's breath it's so shiny. I'd be wiping it every second to keep it glossing like a piano.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I bet that high gloss shows bug's breath it's so shiny. I'd be wiping it every second to keep it glossing like a piano.

These GB1's are definitely showing off the flaws in some recordings. More so than the B25's.
    But the good ones definitely sound better. The focus and resolution they have with voices is downright scary.

These GB1's are definitely showing off the flaws in some recordings. More so than the B25's.
    But the good ones definitely sound better. The focus and resolution they have with voices is downright scary.
    Not to mention the "texture" of every instrument is so easy discern. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I am finding even more appreciation for my Jazz and Classical recordings and am listening more the this genre (or is it gender?), I guess 'cause with this type of music the subtle textures are SO important.

PS; note to mention a great Blues guitar solo sounds so great with these speakers.

Not to mention the "texture" of every instrument is so easy discern. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I am finding even more appreciation for my Jazz and Classical recordings and am listening more the this genre (or is it gender?), I guess 'cause with this type of music the subtle textures are SO important.

PS; note to mention a great Blues guitar solo sounds so great with these speakers.
    Well, if the G-Design series is anything close to the Platinum's ...it's insane. What I love about PSB and have always been attracted to (as I have said many times before) is their neutrality that they have with music. If the recording is good...it'll sound great, if the recording sucks...well, it ain't gonna get better. I have found that going from the Image line to the Platinum line is just leaps and bounds above and beyond what the Image could ever come close to delivering. It's not even close. The Image series is certainly capable of many great things, but they are limited when it comes to a truly 3-D experience with the soundstage, depth, and overall lively feel of the music. Not to say that they are bad, they are truly awesome, but again...have some limitations. Now if the G-Design is as good as they look...wow. I really need to hear these babies. The Stratus line was insane. I remember the first time I heard the Goldi's and was like...whoa! The speakers disappeared! This is another leap that you get when going up from the Image series. You really start to feel like the speaker is gone and the music becomes the room. The Platinum's are off-the-hook in that regard, which is precisely what I wanted. If I can tell where the speaker is...I don't like it...if the music is all around and the speakers disappear because the soundstage as enclosed me...I'm a happy camper.

I'm curious to hear more guys...keep postin' away.

"The speakers disappeared! "

What...I have speakers?????

Actually PS...I can't wait till you hear these and hear your feedback as it compares to your Plats...I have never heard the Plats but I can try to imagine..Time to start a movement to have Paul Barton for our Prime Minister :-) What a genius and what a great price he's selling them for

I have heard the previous Stratus line but don't remember much. The biggest difference my dealer noticed is the scale of the image with the new Stratus models. Especially the height of the image in comparison to the Stratus Mini and the GB1

Another thing to note is PSB is supposed to be coming out with some new speakers that are supposed to exceed the performance of the Platinum line. But the price points will be where the Platinums start. Don't have anymore info it's just what my dealer mentioned to me.

"The speakers disappeared! "

What...I have speakers?????

Actually PS...I can't wait till you hear these and hear your feedback as it compares to your Plats...I have never heard the Plats but I can try to imagine..Time to start a movement to have Paul Barton for our Prime Minister :-) What a genius and what a great price he's selling them for
    It is nice to know that there are still people out there in the world who are willing to offer true craftsmanship and incredible quality at fair prices. I think I said somewhere else on here that if PSB wanted to, they could charge premium prices in order to garner some higher-end attention because sometimes people are only looking at the price tag and they write-off PSB speakers because they don't cost 20K. However, they could go a few rounds with alot of speakers in that bracket for sure. It's great knowing that Paul Barton keeps it real and enables a wide variety of consumers to enjoy a great product. It's sad to see the two dealers within 45 miles of me not carrying PSB anymore. The closest placed carrying PSB is nearly 90 miles away....looks like it might be awhile before I hear the G-Design. My friend who was going to audition them is unable to get the dealer to cooperate now, so who knows what's going on with that. Grrr. They are trying to steer him towards Monitor Audio...maybe has something to do with the dealer making more money from them. I dunno.

I have heard the previous Stratus line but don't remember much. The biggest difference my dealer noticed is the scale of the image with the new Stratus models. Especially the height of the image in comparison to the Stratus Mini and the GB1

Another thing to note is PSB is supposed to be coming out with some new speakers that are supposed to exceed the performance of the Platinum line. But the price points will be where the Platinums start. Don't have anymore info it's just what my dealer mentioned to me.
    Hmmmm. That's intersting...am I gonna have to do a trade-in? Lol. Nah, I am quite content.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information