Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Well, for right now I am in debate over my next step exactly. I just bought a new house and I am probably going to set up a new room for music listening. The gear I am using now is going to be primarily for HT usage. Therefore I am considering several options. I would really like to just make a huge purchase and get it all done...I am really seriously considering something from Gryphon, but I don't know if I am going to make that much of an investment because I don't want to shortchange the other components. I am even considering planars since I will have a room dedicated to just the gear finally, which means space is available. Options options options. Do you think Krell or Classe would be a good option if I am unable to go with the Sphinx?

We should talk about this, send me a PM with your number and i can give you great advice.

Flo
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Infinity
    Sony
    Royal
    CV
    Bose
    Telarc
    KLH
    Koss
    Kenwood
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Soundesign
    Yorx
    Mangavox
    Coby
    Emerson
    GPX
    Panasonic
    RCA
    Magnavox
    Bell & Howell

Oh yea, the best: Bose.

jocko

AR Newbie Registered Member
    There are definitely some top-notch manufacturers listed here, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Polk. Granted, they aren't the best speakers around, but for the money you really do get alot of good sound and quality.

I'm not one of those people that will go for the cheapest thing around, such as Radio Shack speakers. Nor am I blinded by deceitful big names with no quality, like Sony, but rather a logical person. When deciding on my new system, I did the best thing- listen to every speaker I could find. Out of all the speakers, Polk won hands down. This is while taking money into account, mind you.

I'll nominate them for this list. Having decent, solid sound and excellent workmanship at very competitive prices deserves a spot in the top 10. Strangely, I find they sound much better than any Bose speakers I have heard. I think Bose is slipping into the Nike trend- lessening quality and relying on the name instead.

Another manufacturer that definitely deserves a slot here is Mirage. Some of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard have come from Mirage speakers!

hehe you know when they mention 'bose' they are jocking. Everybody hear absolutely despises bose, and I have grown to despise bose as well.

Not a single person has mentioned Dynaudio. I'm dumbfounded.

I picked up the Audience 42's and still have not been able to pick up my jaw from the floor. While these are there entry level bookshelf model the midrange and high's are to die for. I have almost listened to all my cd's again and have not been this excited about a speaker in a very long time.

Are there no Dynaudio fans out there.

Forum Regular

wow

Well, I haven't seen Tannoys listed, hmm, but probably not good enough since they aren't made out of some expensive material and cost 10k...

I have a pair of Dynaudio 3.0's with McIntosh Integrated Amp. I think that the vocals are excellent, jazz sounds incredible and the base seems very balanced and strong. I have not been impressed with classical music on the system. It may me because I have inexpensive speaker cables and connectors. It's a bummer because I really like classical and I am just not wowed like I am when I listed to Jazz or R&B....which is not really my kind of music. DId I buy the wrong system or do I just have cheap cable issues? HHhmmm?
    Either way, I think Dynaudio's can run against the best in vocals/midrange category.

jeff

Forum Regular
    I'm surprised. What about Epos?

No one has mentioned Thiele, haven't heard his newer stuff. The magazines certainly seem to like them and they claim he keeps improving and getting more neutral with each series.

Technically his designs make great sense. Any comments?

Quads?

First Listen, Then Learn misterq4u's Avatar
    Jensen
    Fisher
    RCA
    Audiovox
    Acoustic Kingdom
    White Vans
    Radio Shack
    Realistic
    Bang Olufsen
    Bose

Our ears speak to our brain...

...Me

Whoa!! Hang on there

Quote Originally Posted by misterq4u
    Jensen
    Fisher
    RCA
    Audiovox
    Acoustic Kingdom
    White Vans
    Radio Shack
    Realistic
    Bang Olufsen
    Bose

Acoustic Kingdom?? Never heard of them, otherwise the list's pretty much bang on.

BOSE
    I think that bose can quite likely make it in the list because it has all the attributes that a good speaker manufacturer requires.Like bose speakers have the looks,are reasonably priced,have decent performance and their after sales service is the one of the best in the market.

Post Holy thread revival!

Quote Originally Posted by nish01
    BOSE
    I think that bose can quite likely make it in the list because it has all the attributes that a good speaker manufacturer requires.Like bose speakers have the looks,are reasonably priced,have decent performance and their after sales service is the one of the best in the market.
    oh god, don't get us started...

bose is overpriced and too small. that's all it is. they are not reasonably priced, especially not for what you get. go to a hifi shop, and listen to something real.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Troll !!!

Quote Originally Posted by nish01
    BOSE
    nish01,

Surely you know that BOSE garners nothing but distain from serious audiophiles, therefore one wonders whether you post this with serious intent.

Consider the attributes you mention:
    • Looks: how important is that (unless you're a "wife")? Other than small, there is nothing especially attactive about them, IMO.
    • Resonably prices: there are many reasonably priced speakers and Bose is considered by many to be very poor value for the money given the quality of components that they use.
    • Decent performance: huh?!?
    • After sale service: I expect never to put this to the test.
    Don't take me too seriously, bro. You're entitled to your opinion.

Holy thread revival 2

You can't discuss speakers without a price bracket.

No mentioned Magnapan, long regarded as excelent value for the money.

Then no one mentioned Sonus Faber, Martin Logan, B&W or Vandersteen either. There are more, ho boy are there more. Speakers more than any other component elicit personal taste and value. Go listen, listen a lot, just don't listen at Best Buy or Circuit City.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Where did this artifact come from...

Goodness gracious...this thread is so old it still has my old username on it...superpanavision70mm, which has been out of commission for 8 months. Sheesh.

Magnepan WAS mentioned ...

Quote Originally Posted by hermanv
    You can't discuss speakers without a price bracket.

No mentioned Magnapan, long regarded as excelent value for the money.

Then no one mentioned Sonus Faber, Martin Logan, B&W or Vandersteen either. There are more, ho boy are there more. Speakers more than any other component elicit personal taste and value. Go listen, listen a lot, just don't listen at Best Buy or Circuit City.
    By me. But I was shot down by Topspeed.

and sonus faber was also mentioned and so was B&W...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular

just to add my two cents...

hermanv--if your still looking at this...I'm with your recommendation for Thiel...they sound great, are decently priced relative their market. Costmetics...umm...let's just say that part is subjective. While their wood finishes are great, overall the shape of the speakers is a odd--at least it's down with a fucntional reason, however.

-Sam
    PS. This thread is nearly a year old!

Can we retire this thread?

superdougiefreshness
    Quote Originally Posted by misterq4u
    Jensen
    Fisher
    RCA
    Audiovox
    Acoustic Kingdom
    White Vans
    Radio Shack
    Realistic
    Bang Olufsen
    Bose

White Van huh, LOL
    Go ahead an retire this thread all you want, but I have to tell ya this was very funny to read. I laughed my ars off at the lists of favs here. And yes I have heard the White Vans at my local thrift store, they must be some dudes top drawers if you might think Yorx turntable boom box is high end. Funny thing though my mom still likes her old Fisher credenza boom box over anything she has ever listened to before. Thats why we just had to put her down for major ear wax build up. LOL Oh I also have a buddy from high school who just loves his Chevy Nova (1974) stock factory stereo, but he also has alot of resin in his lungs left over from our glory days that needs to be peeled off. LOL

Yeah thanks Bose, NOT.............a very good old drinkin buddy has partial hearing gone in his left ear from a mastoid infection and he swears by his dam bose system, cause his hearing is bad.......so go figure. It's really subjective at the end of the day.

So go ahead and retire this, but I have to say I had more fun reading this then most of the current stuff on here from the last month. At least it made me laugh......

Thanks

id personally recomend the spendors which arnt back brakingly expensive, the magnepans or the makintosh's <- that spelt right?
    x

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Not a single person has mentioned Dynaudio. I'm dumbfounded.

I picked up the Audience 42's and still have not been able to pick up my jaw from the floor. While these are there entry level bookshelf model the midrange and high's are to die for. I have almost listened to all my cd's again and have not been this excited about a speaker in a very long time.

Are there no Dynaudio fans out there.
    I was just reading thru asking the same thing. I have been using 82s as mains for several years and picked up a set of 42s for rears recently. I did hook them up as mains temporarily and also had a jaw dropping experience from a little speaker driven with an Odyssey Stratos amp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information