• Monitor Audio BR2

1 11.11%
  • KEF iQ1

4 44.44%
  • PSB: IMAGE B15

4 44.44%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Exclamation Thinking on changing the speakers, any advice?

Don't wanna go overly cheap this time so I've narrowed two pair of speakers (front ported!) to mate with the new NAD C-315 (40 Watt):

Monitor Audio BR2 (medium-cost, medium size)
    KEF iQ1 (high-cost, small size)
    PSB: IMAGE B15 (very high-cost, small size)

Which do you like better? And which will go better with a NAD amplifier? Are them easily better than mine actual Energy C-100?

Thanks.

Just buy the speaker that sounds good to you. We can give you suggestions but every one's likes and dislikes are different. Also, look at the recommended power requirements and sensitivity of each speaker since you are using a low power amp.
    The Monitor Audio's have a minimum power requirement of 30wpc so I would say consider the other 2 speakers.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Is the NAD so underpowered? I thought NAD makes amplifier more powerful than the rated wattage, uhm.

Any opinion would be useful since I cannot audit any of these speakers.. I auditioned the Energy and, at home, had problems with room acoustics/speakers placement. In the past I haven't auditioned some Tannoys and found them very good (someone adviced for them against Whafedales and he got right).

nightflier
    The KEFs will be your best option. It's not quite HiFi, but it's getting up there and your amp should be fine driving them. Speaker placement is also easier because the tweeter is perfectly aligned with the midrange and they are, as you said, front-ported. They also have a very stylish look to them and come in very nice gloss finishes.

Monitor Audios tend to be a lot better in the higher models with the bronzes being OK, but not spectacular. The PSBs get good reviews but they don't stand out in my opinion.

You listed the NAD as 40wpc. Thats plenty of power but you have to pair it with the power requirements of the speakers. The KEF's may be a better match for you if you do not have a sub. The KEF's have a lower frequency response then the PSB's
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Before I was more towards the MAs, now I'm more toward the KEFs. These advices are what I was looking for, thanks guys.

Are the KEFs enough for doing a big soundstage? Old Tannoys were really good at this and were the size of the Bronzes (bigger than Kefs). What I will lose with the smallers size, beside bass extension?

You certainly could lose some sound stage and imaging.. What model Tannoy's did you have?
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I have Tannoy Fusion 2 but they don't sound good with NAD.

Imaging and soundstage are very much important for me. Must go to bigger woofers for them? (So Monitor Audio?)

Stick with the KEF's. You dont have enough power to make the Monitor audios sing. They require 30watts minimum power. You'll be ok with the KEF's and you may not lose a thing. Have you looked at Triangle speakers . They are french made and have a brighter sound. They are excellent speakers, even their bookshelf models. You should be able to get them cheaper living in Italy than here. They have one of the best tweeters on the market. My friend has a pair of towers and they have the best treble I have ever heard. Here's a linck to a user review for one of their bookshelf models
    www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41208
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Cannot find Triangle speakers easily.

Look at this comment: 'At this point the test amp is a NAD C320BEE, and with a hint from the shopkeeper, we switched to a Rotel RA-01. What a difference it made! The bass was even stronger and tighter, and the harshness of the treble is gone. This matchup is now sounding fabulous, with the right combination of clarity, detail, soundstage and bass response than what I can achieve with the Epos and NAD. I walked out the store with the KEF and the Rotel, very happy with the sound and the price (450 pounds for the Amp + Speakers)'

Wasn't supposed a brighter speaker to sound better with a warm amplifier like NAD?

Forum Regular

kef and rotel..

I just bought a pair of iQ3 speakers at the beginning of the month. Listening to them on Rotel equipment made me want to drill me eardrums.

They to my ears were extremely bright.

However, on my Pioneer Elite setup, the brightness has given way to rich, smooth, and extended.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by compaqguy
    I just bought a pair of iQ3 speakers at the beginning of the month. Listening to them on Rotel equipment made me want to drill me eardrums.

They to my ears were extremely bright.

However, on my Pioneer Elite setup, the brightness has given way to rich, smooth, and extended.
    The problem is that they are too much deep. I could only go with itse little brother and I fear a narrow soundstage and narrow presence. I am more toward bigger speakers.

There are the Focal too but they weren't good when I audioned them (with a Yamaha amplifier).

Tetsuro,

Save, and buy the KEF QX5 (floorstander) or QX3 (large stand monitor), both of which are discontinued. They are absolutely beautiful looking finished in automotive silver, and sound like a true high-end speaker. I've seen them go for $800 - $1,200 on audiogon (they were over $3k new). Even at their list price they're a helluva lot of speaker for the money. They even have KEF's hyper tweeter, and higher-level Uni-Q technology. You will love them. I would buy them in a second, but I've got so many speakers all ready. Still might though...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by O'Shag; 01-17-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Forum Regular
    I would eventually buy used but cannot since in Italy I cannot find them and I haven't a credit card for buying things on Internet for international countries.

What I noticed with the NAD is that A. It Is too powerful (40W? MAH!) and B. It is very good on some genres like Acoustics (rock and other), House/Trance and similar.
    I want then to ask a few questions:

1. I fear that I cannot exploit the system since I have have to tune down the volume to a very low volume with the PC and with the amplifier, so can I go with low sensitivity speakers?

2. Which speakers could I buy with a budget max of 450 $/€ (that is a lot for me! So lesser is better!) that would go well even with those genres (House, Dance, etc.)? Must be front ported speakers and at least 6 inch. woofers (and max 30.5 cm).

Thanks!

Tetsuro,

I just posted a picture on my previous response. If you were to send a cashier's check/money order, I'm sure some sellers will accomodate this. If their feedback is good they would not pull a fast one. The only problem is if they are in the US, then shipping would cost a few hundred dollars. Given the strength of the Euro/Pound against the Dollar, I'm sure you may be able to negotiate deal for 450 - 600 Euro.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Tetsuro,

I just posted a picture on my previous response. If you were to send a cashier's check/money order, I'm sure some sellers will accomodate this. If their feedback is good they would not pull a fast one. The only problem is if they are in the US, then shipping would cost a few hundred dollars. Given the strength of the Euro/Pound against the Dollar, I'm sure you may be able to negotiate deal for 450 - 600 Euro.
    Ehm, bookshelf speakers.. I have to put them on the desk.

I'll look on ebay anyway.

Forum Regular
    I have found these: https://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-61.aspx

Any Opinion? They are relatively cheap.

Tetsuro,

Go to ebay-US and type in the following description: PAIR MONITOR AUDIO GOLD MA800 MA-800 AUDIOPHILE SPKRS. His buy it now price is 699.00, which is too high. Offer him $250.00, and tell him the condition is not very good. Read his feedback to make sure he's trustworthy. He will accept a money order from the looks of it. These are very good speakers (but don't tell him that) and at $250.00 will be well worth it. The shipping on these couldn't cost more than $100.00, and he will ship overseas. You'll notice also, there not full size, so would feasibly fit on a desk..

The Klipschhorns on a desk, and you sitting at the desk? I think that it would not be a great idea. Klipsch have some good qualities, but as a nearfield monitor, I don't think it would be a good choice.

Forum Regular
    It's a pity, I liked the idea of a big soundstage.

Yup, but the Klipsch will sound harsh as a nearfiled monitor, and you don't want a headache after listening for a short while. I'm not knocking Klipsch, but for this application, well..no. Check out the ebay Monitor Audio link I sent you. These are very good speakers. If you could pick em up for $250, you'd have a cracking good sound with a huge soundstage and lots of refinement. And the ladies will be impressed by the sound. These speakers will be superior to the BR-2. They are not in the best of shape though.. If looks are your thing, then these would not be for you.
    Last edited by O'Shag; 01-17-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Forum Regular
    No, don't want it.

I've seen, really mine wife would never let me to buy something used at that price.

What about Focal JMlab Chorus 706 V: http://www.focal.tm.fr/catalogue-fro...2&idDivision=1

I think that in the end I will go for the MA BR2 if there isn't something really better.

Wives. Ya gotta love 'em.
    The Focal Chorus 706v is a very nice speaker. Defintiely good value for money. As regards their placement on a desk, and listening in the nearfield, they'll do superbly. You'll definitely have a large soundstage, with a good sense of aliveness, organicness, and refinement. Timbre accuracy and overall balance will be very good. Good Choice Tetsuro, I know they are Focal's value line, but aren't they a little on the pricey side? If you can get these, you'll have done very well indeed..

Forum Regular
    Yes they are pricey but I want to buy one pair of good speakers instead of continue to buyu speakers that I don't like and have to sell. If these are better than Monitor Audios I think I can go with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information