• 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
    terrysathome
    Thief I Wa Robbed By As On This Site
    MARCK4TRADING HAS B&W SPEAKERS FOR SALE. long story short he stole mymoney
    there is no other side to the story. i sent wetern union under another name and he produced false ID to collect the next day. I have not heard from him again
  • 12-08-2008, 03:31 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by terrysathome
    MARCK4TRADING HAS B&W SPEAKERS FOR SALE. long story short he stole mymoney
    there is no other side to the story. i sent wetern union under another name and he produced false ID to collect the next day. I have not heard from him again

That is quite an accusation. I was wondering if you could give more info to back this up. AR posts a warning hoping this will not happen.

Buy and Sell Gear here, free! Buyer Beware! Use good judgement before entering into a transaction. AudioReview.com cannot be held responsible for deals gone bad!

If you can give us more information supporting your arguement the ad will be deleted.
  • 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
    RoadRunner6
    Sorry about your bad experience. If you didn't know it before, you now know, never, ever, send anyone cash! PERIOD!

I see he is also listed with speakers for sale on at Asylum Trader. He has zero feedback there also. If I were you I would issue your feedback report and spread the good word about this person, although I suppose he will just re-list under a different name.

RR6
  • 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
    02audionoob
    How much did you pay?
  • 12-08-2008, 09:05 PM
    Worf101
    Couple of simple rules..
    1. Never, EVER use Western Union for ANY transaction. It has more holes than a roll of Swiss and they WILL NOT guarentee your money.

2. I'm not casting disparaging remarks on this site, it's been a comfort to me and I come here 2 or three times a day BUT I'd stick with more "established" selling sites when buying used gear, ebay or audiogon.

3. No PayPal, no purchase unless it's a small amount (under 20 bucks) I can afford to live without.

4. No feedback, no purchase.

These simple rules I buy by, and have only been burnt once.

Da Worfster
  • 12-10-2008, 07:47 PM
    robb01
    Sucks to hear that, thanks for the heads up!
  • 12-11-2008, 12:41 PM
    bobsticks
    I had something similar happen to me at Target. While walking back to my car,I saw 2 really hot girls cleaning my windshield. They asked for a $20 tip and I said no. They asked if I could just drop them off at Walmart and they'd be happy, I said yes. While in the car, they started making out and undressing in the back seat. One of them jumped on me and started kissing me and undressing me while the other stole my wallet.

My wallet was stolen on the 2nd, the 3rd, twice on the 5th,on the 8th, and probably this coming weekend.
  • 12-11-2008, 03:15 PM
    frenchmon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I had something similar happen to me at Target. While walking back to my car,I saw 2 really hot girls cleaning my windshield. They asked for a $20 tip and I said no. They asked if I could just drop them off at Walmart and they'd be happy, I said yes. While in the car, they started making out and undressing in the back seat. One of them jumped on me and started kissing me and undressing me while the other stole my wallet.

My wallet was stolen on the 2nd, the 3rd, twice on the 5th,on the 8th, and probably this coming weekend.

can I be there this coming weekend, so I can get my wallet stolen?:thumbsup:

frenchmon
  • 12-13-2008, 06:47 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks

Hey Guys, Can we all chip in and get Bobsticks a new wallet. It is the neighborly thing to do.
  • 12-13-2008, 07:08 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchmon
    can I be there this coming weekend, so I can get my wallet stolen?:thumbsup:

frenchmon

Hey, find yer own hot, stripper-hussy thieves.
  • 12-13-2008, 07:09 PM
    bobsticks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Hey Guys, Can we all chip in and get Bobsticks a new wallet. It is the neighborly thing to do.

Actually, next time I'm thinking about trying a fannypack...worn to the front.
  • 12-13-2008, 08:17 PM
    markw
    Not to sound callous, but I have several questions and observations.
    I'm not even sure if the OP is for real, but this is for anyone else that might be new and considering buying from anyone here.

Sometimes these public forums attract shady types who are simply out to make a buck. That's why newbies that start out posting spam or otherwise questionable posts are looked upon with a jaundiced eye.

How much of a security check did they put you through when you joined and they let you post? I think the only requirement most sites have to post an item for sale is that they have a few posts, that's it.

Post counts do help in judging towards, at least as far as being around when you wake up in the morning.

I've been a member here since '98 and never heard of this guy and I can't find this guy listed as a member. How many posts did he have?

I see you have only three posts yourself and one is this post. Don't you think you should have checked things out a little before offering your hard earned cash up to a stranger?

This is a public forum where few people have ever met face-to-face. That's fine for shooting the BS back and forth, but sending money is another story. Again, I don't know this guy and can't find listed among the members.

One would think/hope that before sending money in a non-recoverable fashion, one would take a little time to get familiar with the seller, or at least be sure he's a long-standing member, no?

Not everyone is a honest as we would like and this is an open public forum. Sorry that this site led you to a rip-off but sometimes one has to use a little common sense before jumping into the pool. At least make sure there's water down there.

"Psst... hey kid! Wanna meet my pretty sister who thinks you're cute? Come on down this dark, blind alley for a minute..."

Also, use a little common sense. Doesn't buying from a stranger named "MARCK4TRADING" make your spidey sense tingle just a little that he might not be just another regular poster who is here for fun? This ain't ebay where the focus is on selling. This is a community where fun and friendship is the mainstay. I don't think most of the regulars have ever sold or bought anything here and, if they did, it would be form someone they knew, or so I would hope.
  • 12-14-2008, 02:52 PM
    canuckle
    +1 to markw's post.

Someone signs up to the board and then one week later posts something about being robbed by a member that doesn't exist. Hmmm.
  • 12-14-2008, 07:35 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    I'm not even sure if the OP is for real, but this is for anyone else that might be new and considering buying from anyone here.

Sometimes these public forums attract shady types who are simply out to make a buck. That's why newbies that start out posting spam or otherwise questionable posts are looked upon with a jaundiced eye.

How much of a security check did they put you through when you joined and they let you post? I think the only requirement most sites have to post an item for sale is that they have a few posts, that's it.

Post counts do help in judging towards, at least as far as being around when you wake up in the morning.

I've been a member here since '98 and never heard of this guy and I can't find this guy listed as a member. How many posts did he have?

I see you have only three posts yourself and one is this post. Don't you think you should have checked things out a little before offering your hard earned cash up to a stranger?

This is a public forum where few people have ever met face-to-face. That's fine for shooting the BS back and forth, but sending money is another story. Again, I don't know this guy and can't find listed among the members.

One would think/hope that before sending money in a non-recoverable fashion, one would take a little time to get familiar with the seller, or at least be sure he's a long-standing member, no?

Not everyone is a honest as we would like and this is an open public forum. Sorry that this site led you to a rip-off but sometimes one has to use a little common sense before jumping into the pool. At least make sure there's water down there.

"Psst... hey kid! Wanna meet my pretty sister who thinks you're cute? Come on down this dark, blind alley for a minute..."

Also, use a little common sense. Doesn't buying from a stranger named "MARCK4TRADING" make your spidey sense tingle just a little that he might not be just another regular poster who is here for fun? This ain't ebay where the focus is on selling. This is a community where fun and friendship is the mainstay. I don't think most of the regulars have ever sold or bought anything here and, if they did, it would be form someone they knew, or so I would hope.

This post should be a sticky all by itself. :thumbsup: Mark
  • 12-14-2008, 07:39 PM
    02audionoob
    I was able to find references to MARCK4TRADING at asylum trader with a Google search on that name.
  • 12-14-2008, 10:11 PM
    RoadRunner6
    I also saw the post at the Audio Asylum for the same exact speakers he also had listed at this site's classified. It listed him as in Toronto. I sent him an e-mail from his add at our site (which is no longer posted). He responded and we exchanged e-mails. He claims he is selling a pair of B&W Nautilus 802 for $1800, open box, 50 hours use and he pays shipping, insurance and handling (interesting price for an almost brand new pair of speakers supposedly worth much more and shipped from England to the States). I got his e-mail address, name, address, phone number and he claims he is in England (not Toronto) . He said he would set up the shipment with DHL and have them inspect the speakers, verify to me that they were shipped and then I would send him the money. His writing had enough errors that I knew he was not a native English speaking person.

All of this sounded way too fishy for me and I decided to keep my current speakers and told him I was no longer interested (:ciappa:). Also interesting that the guy who posted this thread never came back???
  • 12-15-2008, 05:21 AM
    markw
    FWIW, I apprised Rod M of this situation. I thought he should know.
  • 12-15-2008, 05:39 AM
    Worf101
    Classic scam.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    I also saw the post at the Audio Asylum for the same exact speakers he also had listed at this site's classified. It listed him as in Toronto. I sent him an e-mail from his add at our site (which is no longer posted). He responded and we exchanged e-mails. He claims he is selling a pair of B&W Nautilus 802 for $1800, open box, 50 hours use and he pays shipping, insurance and handling (interesting price for an almost brand new pair of speakers supposedly worth much more and shipped from England to the States). I got his e-mail address, name, address, phone number and he claims he is in England (not Toronto) . He said he would set up the shipment with DHL and have them inspect the speakers, verify to me that they were shipped and then I would send him the money. His writing had enough errors that I knew he was not a native English speaking person.

All of this sounded way too fishy for me and I decided to keep my current speakers and told him I was no longer interested (:ciappa:). Also interesting that the guy who posted this thread never came back???

This is the model used for all ebay/net scams.

1. Price too low for belief.
    2. Seller's inability to communicate in English.
    3. Little or no background.
    4. Seller NOT in the same country as goods.
    5. 3rd party "inspection" of goods prior to payment.

This entire thing is a scam, simple as that.

Da Worfster
  • 12-15-2008, 06:15 AM
    markw
    Sometimes, the old cliches say it best.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Worf101
    This is the model used for all ebay/net scams.

1. Price too low for belief.
    2. Seller's inability to communicate in English.
    3. Little or no background.
    4. Seller NOT in the same country as goods.
    5. 3rd party "inspection" of goods prior to payment.

This entire thing is a scam, simple as that.

Da Worfster

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."
  • 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
    RoadRunner6
    I wasn't seriously interested in the speakers. I just tried to get some info, name, etc from this guy so I could pass it on to the person that started this thread. He never came back and wouldn't accept PM's. I did e-mail JM and got a very nice response. I finally just cut off my e-mails with the seller and left it at that.
  • 12-16-2008, 11:00 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadRunner6

That is interesting. I wonder why he was selling these at the same time asking for speaker suggestions for his little cottage. He should have just used the B&Ws.
  • 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
    markw
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyfi
    That is interesting. I wonder why he was selling these at the same time asking for speaker suggestions for his little cottage. He should have just used the B&Ws.

I believe hat OP and marck4trading re two separate entities.

Terry was inquiring about speakers and got some suggestions, B & W among them.

He then found a pair listed here by a marck4trading, engaged in a business transaction, and here we are. It's amazing the trust that pepple are willing to extend towards strangers they meet on the web...

FWIW, these are no longer listed at the Asylum.
  • 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM
    terrysathome
    Finally a response
    hi
    It was too embarrassing to even want to come back to the "scene of the crime"
    I would have to say that the ingredients to a stupid decision like the one I made to trust this guy are:
    Being newbe enough. I have never even visited ebay.... I only half know the difference between paypal and something unsafe like western union

Wanting something a little more than you should, like getting better speakers than you ever had without paying top dollar

Worst of all is feeling guilty in the first place about spending the money. There where people I would have spoken to about the idea of sending money off to england, but I knew I would be talked out of it and didnt want to be. Watch out for that one friends!

Anyway I am glad he is off this site. I have a lot to say about western union but wont bother unless someone is intersted

Take care all (still need good speakers by the way)

Terry
  • 12-19-2008, 06:48 PM
    markw
    No biggie. Just consider it a learning experience.
    ...albiet a costly one.

It's kinda like stepping on a rake. You're mad and hell but deep down inside you realize we have nobody to blame but ourselves. But. ya just wanna vent.

It's great that you came back, particularly after this thread. It takes a big person to admit they did a foolish thing.

I/we hope that you and others might have learned from your mistake and this thread.

Stick around. There are a lot of good people good fun and good advice here, well, mostly, anyway.

P.S...Ebay scares me, too.
  • 12-19-2008, 09:45 PM
    RoadRunner6
    When I contacted him from his add on this site he gave this info:

Eddie Morss
    74 Oxford Road
    M58 3PT / Manchester
    +44 700 596 4711
    trading.bestprice@yahoo.com

Is this the same info he gave you? At least you might contact the police. He probably is doing this repeatedly. Probably might be a felony offense. People like this belong in Jail. In his add at Audio Asylum he used Toronto as a location.

Don't feel bad. I got ripped off in the 70's for a cassette deck I tried to order mail order for about $200. That was lot of money in the 70's. Of course I sent a money order and never recovered my money. It was a New York electronics wholesale dealer that went out of business and never sent the product.

RR6