AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Subwoofer selection/advice..

Hey Everyone, my first post, so let me make it as informed as possible, first off, I live in a 12x12 dorm room, I run a Pioneer VSX-D412 a/v reciever, and the Fluance SX-HTB 5 piece surround sound system...I'm looking to buy a subwoofer and spend no more than 200 dollars, I watch movies for the most part, or listen to mp3's...I'm looking for the best "boom" for the buck...please don't advise me to save up and by some 400 dollar subwoofer, as it would do me no good in such a small room and small budget I will list some of the subs I have looked at and got good reviews around the net, your opinnions on each, or a new one to check out are welcomed.. Thanks in advance...

www.dualav.com - $165 shipped
    Dual L12SW
    Driver: 12” Polypropylene cone with edge
    inverted poly dust cap
    Crossover: Internal cross over
    Amplifier: Discrete A/B class amplifier - 270
    Watts Peak Power/120 Watts RMS
    Frequency Response: 28 Hz +/-3dB
    Dimensions H/W/D: 17.5"x 14.25" x 16.5"
    Weight: 34.5 lbs.
    Cabinet Design: Active Vented (4” Port)

Acoustic Research S108PS - $115 shipped two of these since they are small?
    Driver: 8" Polypropylene cone
    120-watt amplifier
    frequency response 30-150 Hz (±3dB)
    slot-loaded, tuned-port enclosure

Acoustic Research PR1010 - $200 shipped
    Driver(s): 10" long-throw woofer in a down-firing slot-loaded configuration
    and a front firing 10" passive radiator,
    Frequency Response: 25Hz to 150Hz,
    Amplifaction: Power output: 175 Watts RMS, LFE In/Out,
    Total Harmonic Distoration: 10% @ 175 Watts output, Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >87 dB, Crossover Frequency (-3 dB): 50 Hz @ MIN 150 Hz @ MAX

Pyle PDSUB10 - $134 shipped
    Driver: 10" High Power Active Subwoofer
    Built-In Class A 200 Watt Amplifier
    Adjustable Phase Shift Control 0-180º
    Down Firing Tuned Bass Reflex Port
    High-Level, Speaker Line Inputs
    Low Level RCA Inputs
    Independent Bass Volume Control
    Frequency Response: 30Hz-250kHz

Utmostjamin1

subwoofers

Have you considered any other models or used models ? I found this link for an HSU sub on Ebay might be worth bidding on.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
    the current price when i looked was $160
    also have you considered the velodyne cht series? you might be able to find one cheap on ebay as well. they are known to be quite boomy.
    I happened on getting an HGS-18 sub for only $500 from an elderly couple that didnt know what they had.
    I can really shake the walls with that sucker.

Forum Regular
    Hey Everyone, my first post, so let me make it as informed as possible, first off, I live in a 12x12 dorm room, I run a Pioneer VSX-D412 a/v reciever, and the Fluance SX-HTB 5 piece surround sound system...I'm looking to buy a subwoofer and spend no more than 200 dollars, I watch movies for the most part, or listen to mp3's...I'm looking for the best "boom" for the buck...please don't advise me to save up and by some 400 dollar subwoofer, as it would do me no good in such a small room and small budget I will list some of the subs I have looked at and got good reviews around the net, your opinnions on each, or a new one to check out are welcomed.. Thanks in advance...
    Actually, look around and wait on a good, used sub. Something from Paradigm, Velodyne, HSU, Adire Audio, or SVS may come your way. Quality is not cheap but one of those you should be able to take with you later on and will last you for several years to come. Keep an eye out for subs here, at audiogon.com, hometheaterforum.com, and on Ebay, not to mention your local newspaper. May come accross something you enjoy tremendously.

Red face Listen to these guys....

They're giving you the right skinny. Steering you straight. Don't go cheap for cheap's sake. Spend a little more and 3 times the sub. I'm a happy owner of both the Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 and I've owned other crap subs besides... get any of the subs mentioned above and save yourself time money and earaches.

Da Worfster

Forum Regular
    Hi Josh. I know that the sub I am going to recommend is $100 over your budget, but maybe $100 over budget isn't all that bad. Check out this sub. I own it and it works well for me. http://www.athenaspeakers.com/ASP300.htm

Regarding what Worf said about listening to these guys, I could not agree more.
    Good luck.

Mark

Thread Information