Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126

    Sub Emitting a Loud Snapping Pop

    My Polk 10" powered sub was emitting a very loud snapping pop noise when intensely powerful DTS or DD EX soundtracks on DVDs were turned up to a certain degree on the receiver; this notably happened on "Gladiator" when one of the chariots hit the wall (running in DTS), in "Episode II: Attack of the Clones" when the senator's ship explodes in the beginning (running in Dolby Digital EX) and even in "Daredevil" when Matt hears the I.V. bag in the hospital dropping the formula into the needle in his arm (running in DTS) -- dont even get me started on the awesomely loud depth charge sequences in "U-571" which would rattle my apartment to death, but also snap and crack my sub like crazy.

    Since encountering the problem, I have physically lowered the sub's output volume on the rear of the unit (which was up pretty damn high) as well as lower the sub's caibration level in the receiver's setup. I thought this had managed the problem, as the explosion scene in Star Wars didnt crack or snap the sub any longer at, say, 55 on the receiver's volume display. But a good few weeks back, when having a friend over to watch "Episode II," I had the volume up to about 57 or so on the receiver (which is VERY loud for a DD EX or DTS soundtrack) and during the scene toward the end where the rhino-creature slams into the pole Natalie "Im A Piece Of Ass" Portman is on, the loud, startling pop happened again in the sub---proving if I wanna run these DD EX or DTS soundtracks loud, the sub STILL cant handle the bass unless I turn the sub's volume down even more.

    Short of continuing to lower my sub down to almost inaudible levels (for every other device such as CD) or changing it up for a 12 or 15 inch model, what can I do to correct this? Should I bring the sub's level down even more in the calibration setup? Right now, it's on "+6" which is where the left and right mains and surrounds are set. Is this happening because my sub simply cant produce the amount of bass my receiver and listening room are demanding? I thought a 10" model would be plenty for a studio apartment.
    Onkyo TX-SR600 6.1 Surround Receiver
    Polk Mains, Center & Surrounds
    Polk 10" Powered Sub
    Marantz CC67 5 Disc Changer
    Marantz DR700 CD Recorder
    Technics Turntable
    Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio Player
    Sony Hi-Fi VCR
    Sony Trinitron 27" Monitor
    Numark "CD MIX 1" Dual CD Player/DJ Mixer

  2. #2
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929

    Lightbulb This is getting confusing TLADINY!

    TLADINY, LEXMARK3200 and now John Beresford!

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    TLADINY, LEXMARK3200 and now John Beresford!
    What's getting confusing to me is why you cannot answer a post in here without some kind of offbeat remark like the innoncocted last one; what are you referring to?
    Onkyo TX-SR600 6.1 Surround Receiver
    Polk Mains, Center & Surrounds
    Polk 10" Powered Sub
    Marantz CC67 5 Disc Changer
    Marantz DR700 CD Recorder
    Technics Turntable
    Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio Player
    Sony Hi-Fi VCR
    Sony Trinitron 27" Monitor
    Numark "CD MIX 1" Dual CD Player/DJ Mixer

  4. #4
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929

    Oooops, My bad!

    It sounds like your system is not properly calibrated. Before taking any drastic measures, I would get an (squints, turns head) SPL meter. This will help you set your sub at the proper level. If you still have the same problem, maybe it's blown and your only choice will be to get new one. Regardless, an SPL Meter is a invaluable tool that will let you realize your system's full potential. You might search the forum archives, there seems to have been a person a few weeks back with a similiar question. I think he even had the same sub as you? Worth a look.

    JaaaaaaaSeeeeeeeeeeE

  5. #5
    all around good guy Jim Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In a dead sea of fluid mercury
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by John Beresford
    What's getting confusing to me is why you cannot answer a post in here without some kind of offbeat remark like the innoncocted last one; what are you referring to?
    innoncocted??? is that really a word or are you just making it up? I think you're making it up.

    Maybe the 10'th time is a charm for this same old post that's already been answered, replied to, and responded to again and again. Good luck.

    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

  6. #6
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929

    Thumbs up Jim, Webster's say no!

    The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

    Suggestions for innoncocted:
    1. unconnected
    2. unaccounted
    3. uncounted
    4. inoculated
    5. inculcated
    6. uninucleate
    7. unkinked
    8. uninoculated
    9. incorrupted
    10. uncollected

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    It sounds like your system is not properly calibrated. Before taking any drastic measures, I would get an (squints, turns head) SPL meter. This will help you set your sub at the proper level. If you still have the same problem, maybe it's blown and your only choice will be to get new one. Regardless, an SPL Meter is a invaluable tool that will let you realize your system's full potential. You might search the forum archives, there seems to have been a person a few weeks back with a similiar question. I think he even had the same sub as you? Worth a look.

    JaaaaaaaSeeeeeeeeeeE
    Well, it may very well be what you say, Mr. JSE; Polk speaker systems, and the corporation in general, have become extremely popular with the home hi-fi set, have they not? Seems to me, many humans on a philosophical pilgremege into the more appropriate methods of analyzing increasingly enriched sound material will indeed inform the average Harvey's Electronics store manager that, in some such rhetoric, "Hey! I want Polk!"

    At this point, would metering my sub be effective whatsoever? The volume gain is a tick---just a **** hair---past halfway; is this meaningless prior to SPL meter checking; what I am asking is, would a meter perhaps reveal the sub would need to be lowered VOLUME wise do you think, or via the calibration dB system?
    Onkyo TX-SR600 6.1 Surround Receiver
    Polk Mains, Center & Surrounds
    Polk 10" Powered Sub
    Marantz CC67 5 Disc Changer
    Marantz DR700 CD Recorder
    Technics Turntable
    Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio Player
    Sony Hi-Fi VCR
    Sony Trinitron 27" Monitor
    Numark "CD MIX 1" Dual CD Player/DJ Mixer

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    innoncocted??? is that really a word or are you just making it up? I think you're making it up.

    Maybe the 10'th time is a charm for this same old post that's already been answered, replied to, and responded to again and again. Good luck.

    jc
    Thank You Jim,

    I am new to this board and didn't realize this has been answered; the forum was referred to as being "freshly re-organized" and worthy of investigation for such inquiries.

    Also, this word I have chosen to use is in the NAMM (National Association of Music Merchandisers) Editor's Handbook as an alternative parallel to "nonsense" or "senseless, meaningless rambling." Thank you for your observations and inputs, however.
    Onkyo TX-SR600 6.1 Surround Receiver
    Polk Mains, Center & Surrounds
    Polk 10" Powered Sub
    Marantz CC67 5 Disc Changer
    Marantz DR700 CD Recorder
    Technics Turntable
    Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio Player
    Sony Hi-Fi VCR
    Sony Trinitron 27" Monitor
    Numark "CD MIX 1" Dual CD Player/DJ Mixer

  9. #9
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929

    Funny,

    This other poster that goes by Lexmark3200 and TLADINY used to always mention NAMM as a source. It looks like you guys might be in the same industry. Maybe you know him? I am guessing he would be a frail little guy who drives around in his Honda booming his bass at little high school girls. Anyway, he could probably give you some advise on your system. He seems to have the EXACT same system as you and has the exact same problem as you. He even seems to ask alot of the same questions you are now asking these forums. Maybe you two could bounce ideas off each other. One thing, TLADINY/Lexmark seems to have this stubborn refusal to do what it takes to solve his problems. Some of the regulars on this forum who are extremely knowledgeable with audio have give him the answers to his problems over and over and over, yet he refuses to listen. I can't understand it. I think myself and others have basically come to the conlcusion that he is a TROLL and nothing more so take what he says with a grain of salt.

    As far as your question goes, yes you need to get an SPL meter. It may not solve all of your problems but it will give you an idea what they truly are. Have you considered the thought that your sub may be damaged. LEXMARK/TLADINY who had the exact same problem with the excat same sub and receiver, DVD player, speaker, etc. was told this in his prior post. After going through all of the symptoms with him, everone pretty much came to this conclusion. Oh, and to get an SPL meter.

    Good luck!

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    This other poster that goes by Lexmark3200 and TLADINY used to always mention NAMM as a source. It looks like you guys might be in the same industry. Maybe you know him? I am guessing he would be a frail little guy who drives around in his Honda booming his bass at little high school girls. Anyway, he could probably give you some advise on your system. He seems to have the EXACT same system as you and has the exact same problem as you. He even seems to ask alot of the same questions you are now asking these forums. Maybe you two could bounce ideas off each other. One thing, TLADINY/Lexmark seems to have this stubborn refusal to do what it takes to solve his problems. Some of the regulars on this forum who are extremely knowledgeable with audio have give him the answers to his problems over and over and over, yet he refuses to listen. I can't understand it. I think myself and others have basically come to the conlcusion that he is a TROLL and nothing more so take what he says with a grain of salt.

    As far as your question goes, yes you need to get an SPL meter. It may not solve all of your problems but it will give you an idea what they truly are. Have you considered the thought that your sub may be damaged. LEXMARK/TLADINY who had the exact same problem with the excat same sub and receiver, DVD player, speaker, etc. was told this in his prior post. After going through all of the symptoms with him, everone pretty much came to this conclusion. Oh, and to get an SPL meter.

    Good luck!
    VERY funny thing Mr JSE is that you have developed a VERY serious interest in this person and that is quite disturbing----from what I understand, REPLYING to all his posts, flaming and taking time out of YOUR day to speak to him and MAKE ACCUSATIONS about someone you do not really know; wow, JSE, that takes a LOT of nerve and wherewithal; and YOU are having issues with HIM driving around as as "oh how do you put it" a "frail little" so and so? And what if he were NOT anything how you described this fellow? But my God, JSE....you seem obsessed with this person....really really obsessed....you are taking time from YOUR day to reply to him, lets not forget that----YOU are. Seems you are more obsessed with this guy that you lead us to believe...is there something else you are hiding JSE? Perhaps some "tendencies" you havent quite told that social worker about yet?
    Onkyo TX-SR600 6.1 Surround Receiver
    Polk Mains, Center & Surrounds
    Polk 10" Powered Sub
    Marantz CC67 5 Disc Changer
    Marantz DR700 CD Recorder
    Technics Turntable
    Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio Player
    Sony Hi-Fi VCR
    Sony Trinitron 27" Monitor
    Numark "CD MIX 1" Dual CD Player/DJ Mixer

  11. #11
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929

    Easy there!

    Why are you getting bent out of shape with me for telling you about someone else (LEXMARK3200/TLADINY)? I have been very courteous to you and have tried to answer your questions. What does my past history with this other person have to do with you and why are you irritated with me? And how do you know I am obsessed with this person? You are new to this forum and have no idea about this person or how I have responded to him in the past. Frankly, it's just fun messing with him. He always gets bent out of shape and sometimes becomes very hostile. Kind of like "Little Mans Syndrome", you know what I mean? He's a hoot to mess with, simple as that.

    Anyway, back to your question. From your initial post, it sounds like you are asking a lot of your sub. Maybe an upgrade is in order. The sub may not be able to handle what you are asking of it. Calibrating your system with an SPL meter will confirm if this is true. Get one! It will be money well spent. It about the same cost as 2 DVDs. A bargain. It did wonders for my system.

    JSE

  12. #12
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Why are you getting bent out of shape with me for telling you about someone else (LEXMARK3200/TLADINY)? I have been very courteous to you and have tried to answer your questions. What does my past history with this other person have to do with you and why are you irritated with me? And how do you know I am obsessed with this person? You are new to this forum and have no idea about this person or how I have responded to him in the past. Frankly, it's just fun messing with him. He always gets bent out of shape and sometimes becomes very hostile. Kind of like "Little Mans Syndrome", you know what I mean? He's a hoot to mess with, simple as that.

    Anyway, back to your question. From your initial post, it sounds like you are asking a lot of your sub. Maybe an upgrade is in order. The sub may not be able to handle what you are asking of it. Calibrating your system with an SPL meter will confirm if this is true. Get one! It will be money well spent. It about the same cost as 2 DVDs. A bargain. It did wonders for my system.

    JSE
    Ah---haaa! Well, JSE, let me tell you from experience my friend, DONT judge a book by a cover and don't be so obviously intent toward claiming someone IS something they may very well not be; it is often times people like this have their ass literally handed to them once meeting this real person after accusations had been made about what they were, or how they acted, etc etc; I had actually once seen a college roomate be beaten almost to death because he made threats towards someone's family memebers via the school's computer lab to someone he was having an e-mail bashing contest with; he claimed the guy was probably some wimp who wouldnt back his words up and said he would have a great time listeing intently as a horde of frat brothers would make his sister moan "like a whore" as they took turns with her...the guy ended up in the hospital because the dear lad was quite a big guy!

    If you like messing with people from behind a computer terminal, and call this activity "fun" it is rather beyond the limits of what they call "inevitable me", but be careful, dear JSE. You said it yourself, sir! "It's fun messing with him...." Boy, if I didnt know any better, I would sum all this behavior up (that is, making idle comments which can lead to threating scenarios from behind a computer no less) as pretty pathetic. My hats off to you, dear sir.

    On to topic! Thank you for your continued "help"...once I get the SPL disc for calibration, what is the best process for setting up the sub level? Will the disc walk me through the process, or do you have a specific shortcut most don't know about for getting the sub "right"....like I said, lowering the volume output I thought was the answer, but intense soundtracks still bring out the popping at higher volumes. These soundtracks include DD Surround EX and DTS/DTS-ES.
    Onkyo TX-SR600 6.1 Surround Receiver
    Polk Mains, Center & Surrounds
    Polk 10" Powered Sub
    Marantz CC67 5 Disc Changer
    Marantz DR700 CD Recorder
    Technics Turntable
    Panasonic DVD/DVD-Audio Player
    Sony Hi-Fi VCR
    Sony Trinitron 27" Monitor
    Numark "CD MIX 1" Dual CD Player/DJ Mixer

  13. #13
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Why are you getting bent out of shape with me for telling you about someone else (LEXMARK3200/TLADINY)? I have been very courteous to you and have tried to answer your questions. What does my past history with this other person have to do with you and why are you irritated with me? And how do you know I am obsessed with this person? You are new to this forum and have no idea about this person or how I have responded to him in the past. Frankly, it's just fun messing with him. He always gets bent out of shape and sometimes becomes very hostile. Kind of like "Little Mans Syndrome", you know what I mean? He's a hoot to mess with, simple as that.

    Anyway, back to your question. From your initial post, it sounds like you are asking a lot of your sub. Maybe an upgrade is in order. The sub may not be able to handle what you are asking of it. Calibrating your system with an SPL meter will confirm if this is true. Get one! It will be money well spent. It about the same cost as 2 DVDs. A bargain. It did wonders for my system.

    JSE

    Oh, also, JSE, you say "an upgrade may be in order"....I really thought that a 10" powered unit would have been fine for my listening space, but with regard to your suggestion, do you think a 10" sub is being asked to do too much for a room my size? I need to get the exact room measurements, but in theory, how can you tell if you're asking a sub to do "too much"? Would the described bottoming-out that Im experiencing with this snapping noise be the jury on that? Would you recommend going up to a 12 or 15" model, and which brand could work seamlessly with the Polks? Should I stick with Polk, or does it matter less (timbre matching) with bass and subs?

  14. #14
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929

    Red face I give up!

    "Oh, also, JSE, you say "an upgrade may be in order"....I really thought that a 10" powered unit would have been fine for my listening space, but with regard to your suggestion, do you think a 10" sub is being asked to do too much for a room my size? I need to get the exact room measurements, but in theory, how can you tell if you're asking a sub to do "too much"? Would the described bottoming-out that Im experiencing with this snapping noise be the jury on that?"

    Room size would help! But yes, it sounds like your sub is being asked to do too much given your room, equipment, accoutics, whatever. If it is bottoming out in extreme scenes, then it may not be capable of keeping up. What model sub is it. If it's the one than came with the speaker package or the one that was offerred at a discount with the package, then it's not what would be considered a really sub. Meaning, it has it's limits. I goign off memory when I bought my Polks a couple of years ago but the sub that I am thinking of was not that impressive. I never bought it. So again, may an upgrade is in order. Maybe not. Or, maybe it's damaged.

  15. #15
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    126

    Shhh..Temper, Temper! Don't Give Up!

    "Room size would help! But yes, it sounds like your sub is being asked to do too much given your room, equipment, accoutics, whatever. If it is bottoming out in extreme scenes, then it may not be capable of keeping up. What model sub is it. If it's the one than came with the speaker package or the one that was offerred at a discount with the package, then it's not what would be considered a really sub. Meaning, it has it's limits. I goign off memory when I bought my Polks a couple of years ago but the sub that I am thinking of was not that impressive. I never bought it. So again, may an upgrade is in order. Maybe not. Or, maybe it's damaged."




    No, this Polk sub (I need to get the model number for you; I dont have it offhand -- I bought all this stuff together, but separate, if you know what I mean) was purchased, as aforementioned, SEPARATELY from the Polk satellites I bought. I think the sub may be almost part of the speakers' SERIES, but it was not part of any kind of "package" you mention. That is for sure. It was separately purchased and selected at the store I bought my components for the whole theater system.

    Yes, the sub is snapping wildly during intense scenes in powerful DVD soundtracks, as I pointed out in "Episode II" and "Gladiator"; it even snapped and popped during the scene in Daredevil where young Matt Murdock can hear the dripping of his I.V. bag, and each drop of I.V. solution translates into a booming thud of bass---until I lowered the volume on the sub, this scene would cause the sub to snap loudly if the receiver volume was up too high. This was on Daredevil's DTS soundtrack.

  16. #16
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    538

    Mr JSE, why don't you

    simply report your correspondent's implied threats to the authorities. These days of terrorist threats and bombings have reduced the tolerance threshold for such antics to a very low level. This is what I do and the problem quickly goes away.

    Your correspondent does not seem to grasp that "looking someone up to beat them up" is attemped murder. The "looking-up" part proves premeditation which draws a murder or attempted murder charge. This is very serious stupidity at work by stupid amateurs who wind up in jail with no future. If you are going to persist in teasing people, JSE, I suggest you acquire backup protection.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •