Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I had a good friend who used an SE-40 successfully with Acoustat Spectra 22's and knew of another who used Martin Logan Aerius with no problems. The Acoustats midrange sounded amazing with it using a Linn turntable and the volume was loud enough for us. He never pushed it though but I never heard it sound strained either. I wouldn't recommended this combo for parties.
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Maggies go great with tube amps. Check out all the happy Maggie owners on the avahifi.com forum that own Van Alstine tube gear.
    Thanks BR, wasn't sure really...

Well, maybe once the amp is ready I will take it down to Target, my local shop. They have a pair of used Apogee's there. What do you guys make of the Frugal's?

PC:
    I use 60 Watt mono blocks to drive my Spectra 22's. Sure they run out of steam when pushed hard enough but they play loud enough for me. I should mention that my system is bi-amplified with an 85Hz crossover between the panels and subs. SS on the subs of course.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    PC:
    I use 60 Watt mono blocks to drive my Spectra 22's. Sure they run out of steam when pushed hard enough but they play loud enough for me. I should mention that my system is bi-amplified with an 85Hz crossover between the panels and subs. SS on the subs of course.

Yikes Joe! Although I really don't require alot of volume, what you are describing is far more involved than what I could offer a pair of Mag's. IYO, do you think a GT SE-40 could do it?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Yikes Joe! Although I really don't require alot of volume, what you are describing is far more involved than what I could offer a pair of Mag's. IYO, do you think a GT SE-40 could do it?
    I think you missed my point. A 40 WPC tube amp can "seem" to have more power. I believe it's because of the way tubes overload. Gently with slowly increasing levels of even order distortion. Even order is "euphonic" to the ears. When SS amps are driven to an overload state they clip almost immediately accompanied with odd order distortion products. Odd order is not euphonic.

I drove my first pair of panels (Maggy MG-1's) with 60 WPC of tube power I never felt that I needed more power, YMMV of course. Head banging volumes have never been my thing. If that's what you want the smaller Maggy's just ain't gonna' do it.

I would say a powered sub or two with any of the smaller Maggy's is almost a requirement. The "little" one's don't have much low bass and taking that task away from them makes them much better macrodynamically (Transition from low to loud). If it turns out you like Maggy's you'll probably like most any panel type speaker. There is a uniformity to the way they produce sound. The various types have their own character but they all have the "panel" sound.

Sorry for getting long winded. Yes, IMO the Golden SE-40 would sound marvelous driving MMG's or MG-1's. I've had nothing but tube driven panels since 1976. "Monkey" coffins haven't interested me since.

OTOH: Unless the Apogees are one of the hybrids (ribbon tweeter, cone bass) the SE-40 is probably not enough. Besides having a load that may go down to 2 Ohms the all ribbon Apogee's are quite inefficient.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

I wouldn't risk your amp on the Apogees. Some of then have crazy low loads (1 ohm) that could destroy the amp.

Gotcha, thanks guys....

Another idea I will toss in here is that Parts Express is selling a Tand Band 8" full range driver that I think would be ideal for a tube amp. I believe they are around 130 to 140 bucks a piece so they are not cheap but you don't need crossovers so the only thing you will need is good cabinets for them. they make two versions of this driver, one for smaller enclosures and one for open baffle type of setups so your otions are wide for this driver on what type and how big the enclosure will be and what type of sound you are looking for. I would take a look at them as they look like a good driver for a full range type driver.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Another idea I will toss in here is that Parts Express is selling a Tand Band 8" full range driver that I think would be ideal for a tube amp. I believe they are around 130 to 140 bucks a piece so they are not cheap but you don't need crossovers so the only thing you will need is good cabinets for them. they make two versions of this driver, one for smaller enclosures and one for open baffle type of setups so your otions are wide for this driver on what type and how big the enclosure will be and what type of sound you are looking for. I would take a look at them as they look like a good driver for a full range type driver.

Man, please, someone look at the Frugal horns!! Harley, look at the Frugals and give me your opinion.

PC, I shouldhave added, Apogee full ribbons sound fantastic! They have special amplifier requirments. Meet those requirements and they sing.

Ya cool Joe, I'll find out the model number of the Apogees, but I doubt I'll get them. I live in the same city as Feanor. I imagine once the amp is ready, I'll go to his place to run it through his Mag's.

Can you please give me an opinion on the Frugal horns? What do you know about them? I think they look amazing and I have a line on a great, practically new pair.

I cna't help you there PC. I don't like horn speakers and have no real knowledge or experience with them. Give the Apogees a listen. You might like "planar" sound.

I'm about to close the deal on a pair of mint Sound Dynamics SMT 1200. I mean mint! $100 CDN is what I'm attempting to work him down to although he's already at $125. Perhaps not the most ideal but super easy to drive and have a nice detailed sound. A good start at a decent price.

This is an actual pic...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/image...2179&is_user=0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information