Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

Small system for kitchen.

I'm looking for a small, nice sounding system that will fit on my kitchen counter. I went into an audio shop yesterday to look at the Tivoli Music System. I love, love, love the look of this system, and I can get a black unit on sale for $599 right now. But for the price the sound was pretty disappointing. Plus, I'd have to buy a separate iPod dock, as the Tivoli doesn't include one. http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.p...cat=267&page=1

The sales guy showed me two other systems that were pretty nice. The first was the Denon DM38. Nice little system with separate speakers that I could move around for better sound. And was under $400. http://ca.denon.com/ca/Product/Pages...1-a448a951b1f3. This one also has a great feature that allows you full iPod control though the remote.

The other system he showed me that I liked was the Geneva medium. I actually loved this one. Great sound! Lots of bass for such a small unit. It's ugly as all get-out, but sound-wise just killed both the Tivoli and the Denon...for about $749. http://www.genevalab.com/shop/genevasound-m

Can anyone recommend a nice sounding system for a kitchen? It has to be small enough to fit on the counter.

The sales guy offered to show me the Bose Wave, but by the way he asked it I think that he knew before he even asked that I wouldn't be interested.

Mutant from table 9
    That Denon looks nicer than most peoples main systems.

Here is a suggestion in another (cheaper) direction.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/superpipe-black.html

This might be a little more down market than you want, and it lacks a CD player, and you might not like its looks. But after years of struggling to find something that worked in our small kitchen, this really fit the bill. Ease of use, portability, and durability were deciding factors over sound, but sound is acceptable at lower to medium volume. It is not going to sound as nice as the ones you linked to.
    I got it for $100US and it was worth it. And at that price I don't have to worry about it getting knocked around, or knocked off the counter or getting all greased up. I liked it enough that I actually got two more for other rooms.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Suspended
    If your not stuck on all in ones, TEAC makes a very nice unit like the Denon.

http://www.teac.com/consumer_electro...ries/cr-h238i/
    The TEAC can be had for about $300 USD and then you could get speakers of your choice and fit.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    That Denon looks nicer than most peoples main systems.

Here is a suggestion in another (cheaper) direction.

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/superpipe-black.html
    Thanks but the link doesn't work. I'd prefer something with both a CD player and an iPod dock (the dock can be USB connected). But I guess if I have the iPod dock I could forego the CD player if I had to.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Thanks but the link doesn't work. I'd prefer something with both a CD player and an iPod dock (the dock can be USB connected). But I guess if I have the iPod dock I could forego the CD player if I had to.

Ah, you need this one but it's $400
    http://www.questforsound.com/amps/amps_teacCRH277iB.htm

Forum Regular
    For a kitchen I would go small and unobtrusive. If it were me I'd build a small system around a T-amp with nice inputs and binding posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    I'd build a small system around a T-amp with nice inputs and binding posts.
    I don't even know what that means.

But small and unobtrusive sounds good.

Mutant from table 9
    He means one of these. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-650

(Hopefully the link worked this time)

IMHO, that would be way too many wires (for a kitchen system) by the time you added a CD player and and Ipod dock.

Thanks for that link. I have seen and heard about those speakers here on AR. I had thought about buying them but had no real need for them. The suggestion of them and the T-Amp being perfect for a computer system is dead on. They will be under my tree for Christmas. That little system will be perfect for the computer in my library/spare bedroom. Merry Christmas to me!!
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Mutant from table 9
    Let us know how it sounds after Christmas. Not to sound like a shill, but I've only had good experiences with Parts Express and have loved every Dayton branded product I've bought. Dayton is always a step or two higher in quality and fit and finish than I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    He means one of these. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-650

(Hopefully the link worked this time)

IMHO, that would be way too many wires (for a kitchen system) by the time you added a CD player and and Ipod dock.
    That's actually a very interesting idea. I could plug in the iPod or CD player one at a time and keep the unused component in a drawer to reduce the counter clutter. But I'd also like a radio, so I'm not sure what I'd do about that. And no remote. That could be a problem.

Forum Regular

Hi FA

I'm looking for a small, nice sounding system that will fit on my kitchen counter. I went into an audio shop yesterday to look at the Tivoli Music System. I love, love, love the look of this system, and I can get a black unit on sale for $599 right now. But for the price the sound was pretty disappointing. Plus, I'd have to buy a separate iPod dock, as the Tivoli doesn't include one. http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.p...cat=267&page=1

The sales guy showed me two other systems that were pretty nice. The first was the Denon DM38. Nice little system with separate speakers that I could move around for better sound. And was under $400. http://ca.denon.com/ca/Product/Pages...1-a448a951b1f3. This one also has a great feature that allows you full iPod control though the remote.

The other system he showed me that I liked was the Geneva medium. I actually loved this one. Great sound! Lots of bass for such a small unit. It's ugly as all get-out, but sound-wise just killed both the Tivoli and the Denon...for about $749. http://www.genevalab.com/shop/genevasound-m

Can anyone recommend a nice sounding system for a kitchen? It has to be small enough to fit on the counter.

The sales guy offered to show me the Bose Wave, but by the way he asked it I think that he knew before he even asked that I wouldn't be interested.
    Here is what I found on AA that might be of interest to you. As far as a radio goes, you may want to check out Sony's FM/AM Digital Tuner XDR-F1HD. I paid $100.00 USD for my Sony radio about a year ago. The my only 2 complaints about the radio is it gets very hot so ventilation is critical and the other complaint is if you lose power or unplug it then you loose all of your saved settings and have to re-do them all over again

Anyway, here is the AA link:
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AUN22

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I have heard this thing and it rocks. I think without the CDP it comes in under $600. IMO and Ipod dock is the way to go in a ktchen, no messin with CDs.

Forum Regular

Smile Onkyo

Bought the Onkyo receiver(audionoob's) for a relative for about $100, without the speakers,on ebay. This was highly rated on Amazon, very small, and sounds super with some Harman Kardon Ten speakers I found at a thrift store. The Harman Kardon Tens are too big for a kitchen ,but are amazingly good speakers,made in 1993.My mistake. I got the Onkyo CS 325,which is now on ebay(receiver only) for $105,and free shipping.
    Last edited by Bill K Davis; 11-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.

This looks like a nice system but I can't actually find it on any of the dealer websites from the Onkyo site to get a price.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I have heard this thing and it rocks. I think without the CDP it comes in under $600. IMO and Ipod dock is the way to go in a ktchen, no messin with CDs.
    This looks pretty nice. It might get expensive if I have to purchase speakers separately, but it's worth looking at.

I'm torn between something like the Denon, inexpensive and all-in-one, or getting something a little more high end that can double as a receiver anywhere in the house...giving us the option of moving components around in the future as we continue to decorate the house.

What's becoming clear to me is that there are some good, more flexible and less expensive options than the Geneva out there.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

If I dare to mention BOSE then here is what I have in my kitchen. I have the BOSE I-pod sound station. It has great sound for the price and it does not take up any space, at least in my application. I have it on top of my refridgerator. It fills the room with my tunes, especially when the Wife and I have game night. I suggest giving it a try, you may be pleasently pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by dwayne.aycock
    If I dare to mention BOSE then here is what I have in my kitchen. I have the BOSE I-pod sound station. It has great sound for the price and it does not take up any space, at least in my application. I have it on top of my refridgerator. It fills the room with my tunes, especially when the Wife and I have game night. I suggest giving it a try, you may be pleasently pleased.
    Hmmmmmm. I do have a set of Bose computer speakers with a subwoofer in my home office and, for a small space, they do sound pretty nice. I like the look of the Bose iPod dock for the kitchen. It would take up a lot less counter-space than any of the other options that I've been looking at.

It's just that...well...it's Bose!

What's the bass response like on that sound station of yours?

Maybe I should be more open minded.

EDIT: I just looked up the price of that Boss system. The Denon DM38 was less expensive and has way more features.

Suspended
    Hmmmmmm. I do have a set of Bose computer speakers with a subwoofer in my home office and, for a small space, they do sound pretty nice. I like the look of the Bose iPod dock for the kitchen. It would take up a lot less counter-space than any of the other options that I've been looking at.

It's just that...well...it's Bose!

What's the bass response like on that sound station of yours?

Maybe I should be more open minded.
    Are you looking for iPod playback alone or Tuner and CD capability?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Are you looking for iPod playback alone or Tuner and CD capability?
    Tuner capability is a must (I guess that rules out the Bose, actually). With CD would be preferable, not everything we own is on (or could fit on) our iPods...but I could live without CD in the kitchen if I had to. So far, I'm thinking that the Denon and the Onkyo are looking pretty attractive. The Cambridge Audio system that Poppa showed me looks pretty nice, but if I have to buy speakers on top of the amp, it might start to get a bit pricey.

Going in a slightly different direction, this Boston Accoustics model looks pretty interesting too. There's an optional iPod dock available for it. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Trio-...dio--P368.aspx

With t he i-pod, you can set the EQ for the sonic characteristics you like. The BOSE reproduces them very well. It does NOT have the option of a tuner, but I-pods now have tuners already built in. There is a Jass station here in Atlanta (WCLK) that has awesome jazz, and with the i-pod and the Bose system, I am pretty pleased. Keep in mind that I am NOT trying to capture the sound and dynamics I have in my dedicated music / HT room. It's the kitchen for goodness sakes!! If you can demo one with the i-pod, I think you will be pleased.
    Dwayne

Does your main system have multi-zone?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Does your main system have multi-zone?
    No. Unfortunately not. Although, I suppose that I could look at putting the money into an upgrade on the main system instead of a separate unit for the kitchen. There are just so many options!

Suspended
    No. Unfortunately not. Although, I suppose that I could look at putting the money into an upgrade on the main system instead of a separate unit for the kitchen. There are just so many options!
    Niles speaker selector. Run the main outs to Niles box and 4-6 sets of speakers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information