Forum Regular

Question Shure bookshelf speakers

Hi: Does anyone know anything about Shure speaker quality?What kind of price would be right? There is a picture on Craigslist Sacramento(electronics,Shure). Thanks.
    Last edited by Bill K Davis; 05-03-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Forum Regular

Shure Brothers made their name in phono cartridges.....

Shure is well represented at Music123 and Musician's Friend. Shure offers XLR cables, wireless mics and wireless instrument pickups, and so forth. I never heard about Shure having the people required to produce a line of loudspeakers nor have I noticed any Shure loudspeakers at Music123 and Musician's Friend.

You can try a Google search for Shure loudspeakers. If that yields nothing, then I would skip it because you may be looking at "White Van" speakers with phony Shure labels.

I have read enough accounts that suggest that Craigslist can be an iffy venue.

You do not mention price, budget, or objectives.

If you want excellent sound, go to Music123 or Musician's Friend and check out the active powered Mackie HR824Mk2 studio monitors at $600 each, delivered. Add an ART Studio MP Tube preamp at $30 for each Mackie if you can, and you are good to go by merely adding a DVD/CD player. The Mackies feature feedback control ["active powered"] to eliminate distortion, so they are very lucid yet powerful. They are (truely) flat down to 40 Hz and they start to run out of steam at 37Hz. This kind of rig should keep you happy for many years.

Forum Regular
    No question craigslist is buyer beware,but prices are lower than ebay,and no shipping. It's kind of fun to deal in the underground economy. I worry most about stuff being hot.I also like the second, third ,fourth hand deal,because it is a crapshoot. Buying older electronics, you might be missing something and never know it. Thanks for the advice, although I'm a vinyl guy.I agree tubes are the way to go.

Thread Information