Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Question Sell or not sell JBL speakers

I currently own the JBL N26 speakers for my music system but I was wondering if I should sell it and get the Sony SS-F5000 since on Amazon.com they are selling them for $112 pair and that's a great deal. I need help on deciding if I should sell the JBL's and get the Sony's or should I keep the JBL N26.

Thanks
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Also right now I' am using a basic stereo receiver I got a month agao. I have a Sherwood RX-4109 receiver that is 200 watts total power. It really sounds nice with this receiver.
    Dallas's Forums

Suspended
    ...and here we go again...

I really am having a hard time deciding on this and need help. I thought for the money I get alot if I got the Sony SS-F5000 floorstanding speakers. But I would like feedback on if I should sell the JBLs and get the Sonys instead or keep the JBLs.
    Dallas's Forums

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Dallas, Good to see you posting. I hope life and love are treating you well. Oh and stick with the JBL's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Dallas, Good to see you posting. I hope life and love are treating you well. Oh and stick with the JBL's.
    Oh and about the love part Adam and I broke up two months agao since I found out he was lieing to me for 3 years about something he said he would keep a promise. Right now I' am looking for a boyfriend again and hopfully I will find one that is loving, caring and that will keep promises unlike Adam. So I was with Adam for 5 years basicaly.

About the speakers now why do you say the JBL N26 is better? I thought that the Sonys will give more fuller sound since it's bigger and its a floorstanding speaker but maybe I was wrong.
    Dallas's Forums

I would as well think that the JBL's would be better overall in sound quality. I have a friend that has the Sony's you are speaking of and they sound OK but I know the JBL's pretty well and I believe they are overall a better built speakers with better crossovers and driver components and while they might not be as bassy as the Sony's but the overall sound character will be better with the JBL's. Just my opinion.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I was wondering if he'd come back

The Sony speakers would be a waste of money, but at least they don't break promises.

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    The Sony speakers would be a waste of money, but at least they don't break promises.

Hehehe....unless of course you're talking about the promise of any kind of decent performance.

Somereason alot of people say that the Sonys aren't the best they didn't say they are bad or anything but I mean look at the price of them they are very cheap so you guys can't expect that they sound like a $1000 each speakers you know. But do you guys think for the price they sound great. Also Sony says that are from 45hz to 50kHz which is pretty impressive I think.
    Dallas's Forums

I did see alot of good reviews on amazon.com for these Sony speakers. I think you guys are compairing these budget speakers to something that costs 4 or 5 times more the price now of cource you compair them with the Sonys ya the Sonys aren't close at all to those expensive speakers but for $112 they got to be amazing for the price. Do you guys agree.
    Dallas's Forums

I wouldn't want those Sony speakers for free and I certainly wouldn't replace JBL N26 speakers with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    I did see alot of good reviews on amazon.com for these Sony speakers. I think you guys are compairing these budget speakers to something that costs 4 or 5 times more the price now of cource you compair them with the Sonys ya the Sonys aren't close at all to those expensive speakers but for $112 they got to be amazing for the price. Do you guys agree.
    I am saying vs. your JBL's they suck. I am a JBL fan and have in my listening room a pair of mint L-110's. I am presently seeking out a pair of Genesis. Why don't you see if you could find a nice pair of highly regarded used speakers? Maybe double the quality of the Sony's for the same price point...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Somereason alot of people say that the Sonys aren't the best they didn't say they are bad or anything but I mean look at the price of them they are very cheap so you guys can't expect that they sound like a $1000 each speakers you know. But do you guys think for the price they sound great. Also Sony says that are from 45hz to 50kHz which is pretty impressive I think.

Dallas a speaker can boast a wide frequency response but does it deliver all of those frequencies at the same level. If it is producing 45hz is it any where near the level of the midrange? Is the midrange smooth or are there peaks and valleys in frequencies that will emphasize some instruments and voices. Another problem with an inexpensive floorstanding speaker is the colorations the cabinet will add to the sound. It is easier and cheaper to make a bookshel enclosure that is inert than a larger cabinet with larger panels. The more cabinet the more to resonate. A lot of money is needed to make an enclosure for a floorstanding speaker that is solid and does not muddy the sound. That is why I think you should keep the JBL's. If you are looking for more bass consider an inexpensive powered subwoofer for more low end.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Well what if I got a pair of JBL N28 instead would that make any real difference on sound compairing the N26 I have to the N28? The frequency response is about the same on the two models I noticed. I could sell the N26 and get the N28 since someone is selling them on ebay now. Or do you think I should keep the N26?
    Dallas's Forums

Also if the Sony speakers are that bad then why on amazon.com people review says they are like 5 star? Are you sure that the SS-F5000 is not good at all?
    Dallas's Forums

Dallas, who are ya gonna believe: the guys on Amazon who press anything to get a product out or your family who tells you the truth, no matter how bitter? If not that, do you wanna buy a speaker from a manufacturer who dabbles in just about every conceivable appliance known to man or the fella whose fame came from dabbling in just one thing and did it quite well? Now, simmer down and enjoy the music, boy. You're upsettin' the dawg!
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Ask yourself this, what would a Brontosauras do? Do you want the pre-10 billion BC Raptor fossil or the 5 million year old Wooly Mammal? The choice seems pretty simple.

Forget the Sonys, I owned the bookshelf version and they sucked big time

Listen to Poppa, Junior. WWBD? What Would Bronto Do? Let it be a mantra....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Maybe it ends up that I have to try the Sonys myself and see how they sound. It just very hard to believe that Sony makes that bad products. You guys are making it sound like Sony is the worst speakers you can get and if that's true then why are they selling those Sonys alot? Also you guys might be expecting too much out of speakers that cost $200 or under for floorstanding speakers. I know you guys are use to really high end stuff but I don't have the money and I want the best out of the money and I thought the Sonys is the biggest and best I can afford.

By the way I have owned many Sony products in the past and I always trusted them since they last long time and they are built well etc. You guys just seem to make Sony a shame or Sony is bad no good. I don't agree with that.
    Dallas's Forums

Maybe it ends up that I have to try the Sonys myself and see how they sound. It just very hard to believe that Sony makes that bad products. You guys are making it sound like Sony is the worst speakers you can get and if that's true then why are they selling those Sonys alot? Also you guys might be expecting too much out of speakers that cost $200 or under for floorstanding speakers. I know you guys are use to really high end stuff but I don't have the money and I want the best out of the money and I thought the Sonys is the biggest and best I can afford.

By the way I have owned many Sony products in the past and I always trusted them since they last long time and they are built well etc. You guys just seem to make Sony a shame or Sony is bad no good. I don't agree with that.
    Look at my signature!! No bias here, but you asked and now you're in disbelief that the answer isn't what you had hoped. Don't turn it around on us! You are the one who is in denial here. We aren't saying Sony is bad, just that particular pair of speakers is.

If you want more value for your budget, GO USED!!!!!!

Otherwise, quit trying to convince yourself that we are using voodoo to brainwash you against the world's leading speaker manufacturer, Sony. Pull the trigger, DO IT!!!

LOL....all in good fun Ice Ice Baby.

Not trying to discredit Sony here, D, but urging you to consider that when buying gear a good thing to remember is to consider a company's strengths when doing so. JBL is (as far as I know) a firm that focused nearly all of its energy on speakers, a mission that has served it quite well. On the other hand, Sony, has touched upon everything. While many of their products are (rightfully) well regarded, speaker design does not seem to be one of their priorities. Nevertheless, by all means, check 'em out. If you like 'em, buy 'em and the hell with what I or anybody else says.

BTW, yes, many of the folks here have high-end gear, but I have seldom, if ever, encountered a member who had the gall to use what he spent (or anybody else spent) as a guide to his perceptions of quality. We're trying to help, and we're not being snobbish about it. Don't play that; you know better.

So just the Sony speakers aren't good at all but everything else is good? Now why would a company do that? Are you sure that the SS-F5000 is that bad and if I got them I would not like them at all? Since if I won't like them then probley I should not get them. But of cource I might think they sound great. I don't know.
    Dallas's Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information