Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Dustin is a hot white boy Dustin_Broke's Avatar

Philips powered speakers

I was wondering about this but I noticed that my Philips MMS321/17 PC speakers says they are 80 watts but I kinda wonder if that's true. This is what I see. Also on the front of the box it says 80 watts.

I saw this on a website about the speakers.

System Power

•20W RMS per Speaker
    •40W RMS Total Continuous Power
    •80W RMS Total Peak Power

This is also strange but I also noticed this is saying 80 watts music power from Philips website.

Sound
    •Frequency response: 50 - 20.000 Hz
    •Music Power: 80 W
    •Volume Control: Analogue Volume Control
    •Wires: Fixed Wires
    •Sound Enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost, Treble Boost
    •Bass optimalization
    •Bass enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost
    •Loudspeaker Enhancement: Magnetic Shielded LSB
    •Output power (RMS): 2 x 20W

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke
    I was wondering about this but I noticed that my Philips MMS321/17 PC speakers says they are 80 watts but I kinda wonder if that's true. This is what I see. Also on the front of the box it says 80 watts.

I saw this on a website about the speakers.

System Power

•20W RMS per Speaker

This is also strange but I also noticed this is saying 80 watts music power from Philips website.

Sound
    •Frequency response: 50 - 20.000 Hz
    •Music Power: 80 W
    •Volume Control: Analogue Volume Control
    •Wires: Fixed Wires
    •Sound Enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost, Treble Boost
    •Bass optimalization
    •Bass enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost
    •Loudspeaker Enhancement: Magnetic Shielded LSB
    •Output power (RMS): 2 x 20W
    80 watts is the combined continuous maximum power from the two channels. What you are seeing here is the Philips marketing department in its full glory. List the highest number, and it will sell computer speakers. The reality is not all that marketable. Since when does anyone run their computer speakers at maximum power for long periods of time? Try never because it sounds like crap being driven that hard.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

So basicly it is really 80 watts I guess they can go really loud for compact speakers that don't have a subwoofer. But are you saying that it will sound good at 80 watts or will it sound bad? Since on Philips website it says they are 80 watts music power but on a different website it says 80 watts peak power so I kinda got confused. I thought music power means it actualy will be more than 80 watts for peak power. Like 160 watts peak power. Also iit did say RMS so I always that meant like 160 watts if 80 watts is music power.

Since on Philips website it says they are 80 watts music power but on a different website it says 80 watts peak power so I kinda got confused. I thought music power means it actualy will be more than 80 watts for peak power. Like 160 watts peak power. Also iit did say RMS so I always that meant like 160 watts if 80 watts is music power.
    As Sir TT mentioned, do not pay attention to Philips marketing

Lets look at Philips power ratings:

System Power

•20W RMS per Speaker

The notation (RMS) for Peak Power is wrong and very misleading. Continuous Power is labled in RMS term, not Peak Power. Since Peak Power is not continuos and only happen for short burst of time, it can not be labeled as RMS value.

So basically you have a 40 (RMS) watts system, with 80 watts peak power (I don't know where you get 160 watts from).

It is also very importand to state THD (%) when discusing amp's Power. Most cheap amplified speakers have THD rating of 10% which is very excessive. It will give you listening fatigue.
    Last edited by Smokey; 06-22-2010 at 12:26 AM.

To hear the music loud and clear it has to be 40 watts and if it goes to 80 watts it will be distorted sound? So really these speakers are 40 watts and can go upto 80 watts but it will sound bad. If I' am wrong maybe I don't quite understand how this works still.

How fast could you run if you were being chased by a tiger?

To hear the music loud and clear it has to be 40 watts and if it goes to 80 watts it will be distorted sound? So really these speakers are 40 watts and can go upto 80 watts but it will sound bad. If I' am wrong maybe I don't quite understand how this works still.
    I'm sure it's pretty fast but could yo keep it up all day?

A man once ran about 40 mph for a very short period. He might even have keeled over and died after doing that for all we know.

Would it be fair to say he could run 40 miles per hour and imply that he could do this all day, every day?

That's the reasoning behind that "peak power" spec you see advertised. It might do it for a few milliseconds* but to advertise it as reliable power is a bit shady. It might even go up in smoke while doing it.

And, as Smokey points out, even if they did put out twenty watts, at what distortion level was it? It might sound truly horrible.

*But at what distortion level?

Well if the speakers are really 40 watts total then why would Philips lie and say that they are 80 watts music power or put that 80 watts number big on the box??? Since it seems like it's really bad for the speakers to go 80 watts for a long time so technicly that aren't 80watts looks like. But I can say that they do go really loud and clear without hearing distortion when I play my music. My ears don't hurt at all even when they are up loud. Maybe since the amp is huge brick like thing so it is using a good amp to power them. I have heard other speakers around this price range and most do sound not as clear or I can his the hiss noise. But the Philips I have I don't hear any of that.

Isn't the THD about hearing that hiss like noise when you have the volume down or up? Since if that's the case then I don't hear that on my speakers.

Suspended
    SVI? Is that you?

Really...

Quote Originally Posted by RoyY51
    SVI? Is that you?
    The Internet can be a valuable tool. It CAN take the onus of having to research many different subjects (like many of us had to do in the old days) from many sources.

Nowadays, one can simply post a query and wait for the answers to roll in.

Those who frequent this (and other) forums that are ready willing and able to help newbies understand the basics of this hobby.

But, that is a two-way street.

The newbie must make some attempt to at least TRY to understand what's been laid out in front of him instead of whining about not understanding it without even trying.

At some point it cannot be "dumbed down" any more.

Who knows? Maybe spending some time actually researching these topics (like we all had to do) might be more fbeneficial to the newbie to have to work for his knowledge instead of simply asking and having the combined wisdom of many simply squandered for their enjoyment.

Well in this case I have to admit but my old screen name was SpankingVanilliace. I changed it to the same screen name as my current e-mail address. Also the big reason why I used the SpankingVanilliace is since my ex boyfriend named Adam had that kind of screen name so I just used the same name. But since we broke up last year on September,14 2009 I no longer need that old screen name. I do miss him but I have to move on since he never keeps his promises.

Right now I think a boy named Dustin Borke from The sims 2 game is hot so that's why I use his name. You can look Dustin up on google if you want to see how he looks like. He is not real but he is a hot white boy.

Btw how did you sorta figure out it was me?? I tried sorta to not make it sound like me. LOL

But eather way why does it matter who is who? I mean really was I that special person???

Oh thats right he is the boy on my avatar. LOL

I have always been into audio stuff since I was like around 8 now I am 25.

Suspended
    Well in this case I have to admit but my old screen name was SpankingVanilliace. I changed it to the same screen name as my current e-mail address. Also the big reason why I used the SpankingVanilliace is since my ex boyfriend named Adam had that kind of screen name so I just used the same name. But since we broke up last year on September,14 2009 I no longer need that old screen name. I do miss him but I have to move on since he never keeps his promises.

Right now I think a boy named Dustin Borke from The sims 2 game is hot so that's why I use his name. You can look Dustin up on google if you want to see how he looks like. He is not real but he is a hot white boy.

Btw how did you sorta figure out it was me?? I tried sorta to not make it sound like me. LOL

But eather way why does it matter who is who? I mean really was I that special person???
    I think "special" just about says it all.

I just wanted to make sure that these speakers were really 80 watts thats all it was but now I know they are only 40 watts total. But I do think it's silly to try make people think they are 80 watts when they really can only go 40 watts.

Let me ask this but was my old screen name better? Or did you guys like it better? just wondering

I still will use my new sn since that's my current e-mail address. But I was just wondering.

I' am just trying to figure out how do you guys always remember me. Even after like 5 years or so.

I just wanted to make sure that these speakers were really 80 watts thats all it was but now I know they are only 40 watts total. But I do think it's silly to try make people think they are 80 watts when they really can only go 40 watts.
    You've been here for years and had these questions answered many, many times before.

I think it's silly to keep on asking these exact same questions over and over.

Yeah, you're"special", all right. Do you take the short bus to school?

BTW, your screen name doesn't really matter. Your "special" qualites show through in short order.

Well I never really asked about if these were really 80 watts I asked similiar questions though I assume. But now I know they are 40 watts. But still think why would Philips make it sound like 80 watts was the music power. They should of said they are 40 watts on the box. But I guess maybe it's good to add more information like the peak power so at least I know what's the peak is. I before never knew about peak power. I thought before they were same as music power.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    You've been here for years and had these questions answered many, many times before.

I think it's silly to keep on asking these exact same questions over and over.

Yeah, you're"special", all right. Do you take the short bus to school?

BTW, your screen name doesn't really matter. Your "special" qualites show through in short order.
    Btw what do you mean short bus??? I only seen normal size buses. Eather way I' am not in school or anything.

I think this thread has run it's course, Spanky.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

I'm cryin' over here...

SVI? Is that you?

ROtFLMAO!!! Greenies for you sir!!
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    Thanks for the greenies, Bobsticks! It's been a long time.

This is soo funny but I can see it now. This topic is going to be endless but not talking about the speakers anymore. But eather way since we firgured out that the speakers are 40 watts there is no really need to be posting anymore unless you find some information that I need to know.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    That would be 100% true had you not tried to hide your true identity. Sorry breh, you're family now, lol, no avoiding it...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

The other reason I wanted you guys to now think it was me is since once you find out about me I noticed that you don't give me a straight answer and or make it so I understand it and you guys rather talk about things outside of the topic. Also in the past when I am talking about one type of speakers you talk about other kinds of speakers and basicly end up saying mine sucks. I don't appreciate when you guys did that in the past.

Also if I am compairing two sets of speakers you guys in the past always talked about different speakers and saying to forget the ones I' am compairing and just get these. If I were asking your guys what speakers I should get for around $100 then you can say all the speakers that are good around that price range.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    SVI? Is that you?
    You get another greenie from me as well....good guess. I thought it was him(based on the weirdness of his response), but I didn't want to embarrass myself if I was wrong.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs