Thread: RF-82 vs RF-7

AR Newbie Registered Member

RF-82 vs RF-7

Two weeks ago, I went to a local home theater store to demo the 82's. When I got there, they had the RF 7 in the demo room but not the RF-82's. The dealer gave me the following quote on an 82 package.

RF-82, RC-62 and RS-52 for $1650 + tax.

RW-12d would be $529 + tax

He said he was running a special 25% off if I bought a complete 5 piece set.

Few questions for everyone.

He said he got a real good deal on a bunch of RF-7's and they bought them all. He has two pair left. The did sound incredible with the RC-64, RT-10 sub and RS-52 surounds that I demo'd. I was truly blown away at the volume, clarity and beauty of the sound that these speakers created.

He said he was selling the RF-7's for $1600 and the RC-7 for $600. I wanted to get some opinions on the difference between the 82's and the RF7's.

Is the price that he quoted me a good deal or just an ok deal? Do you think I could get them for less from him?

Today I stopped by Best Buy to check out the RF-82's for the first time. The 82's are more in line with my budget. BB had it in a dedicated theater room about 18' x 25'. They were using the RC-52. Surprisingly, they do not carry the RC-62 which is the matching center for the 82's. The rears were the RS-42's. It was setup with the RW-12d. It was hooked up to the Yamaha 2700. I told him I wanted to watch a movie demo and to turn it up pretty loud. I noticed on the sub, it was turned almost all the way up. Frankly, the RC-52 was most dissappointing (which I expected it would be). It could not keep up with the 82's. The sub also was disappointing. There was no WOW factor at all with that particular sub. For $700.00, you would think that you would get a huge amount of clean bass. It was just ok. The 82's sounded nice, but I wasn't as impressed with the overall quality as much as I was the RF-7's. I then asked if he could put in a concert DVD and changed the receiver to 7 channel stereo so that the vocals would be directed to the main speakers instead of the center channel. Again, they were ok, but not a WOW moment.

My next step is to return to the store where I demo'd the RF-7's and have them A/B with the 82's. I guess this will be the only way for sure that I can compare apples to apples. With the RF-7's, they were paired up with the RT-10 sub and the RS-52's. They also were using the same Yammie receiver but they were only using it as a processor and had the speakers being powered by a 200w x 5 amp (do not know the brand of the amp). It was incredible sounding.

Here is my question. In your opinion, are the RF-7's that much more of a speaker in sound quality than the 82's or was it the fact that the one's that I listened to at Best Buy were paired up with less than par speakers for the 82's (RC-52 and RS-42) and they had a weaker sub and no dedicated amp?

The store that had the RF-7's said that he got a sweet deal on a bunch of 7's and bought them all. Said he would sell the RF-7's for $1600/pair and $600.00 for the RC-7. $2200 sounds kind of steep for them. What would be a reasonable offer for the RF-7's? How much for the RC-7? Thanks for your input.

Forum Regular

I would listen again...

I would listen to the speakers again, and in a better room than what was likely had at BB.

However, I personally feel that the older reference series (The one that the RF-7 was part of) has better SQ than the new ref. series. Some will disagree on this with me, but I feel that they were more coherant and smooth.

Also, Klipsch and Yamaha is not a combo that I would recommend. I believe yamaha receivers are on the bright side of neutral. This may also help account for what you heard.

I myself would try to listen to that combo with the RF-82 again, but with a receiver such as Pioneer Elite. There are more that will sound good with those speakers, but this is the one that occurred to me off the top of my head.

Thread Information