Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A really great speaker, one of my fav.

If anyone on here is looking for a speaker that just makes good music and is pretty affordable check this out. This is one of my fav. box speaker!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1135020910
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Nice speaker, but how much does he want for the Macs in the background???

4" thick MDF baffle? I'd hate negotiate the shipping for that one....talk about damping.
    Those things are bullet-proof!!!

Impressive specs for a 10" woofer in a sealed cabinet. Very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    $2695. Check the seller's "other items."

This guy is either a dealer or crazy. The amount of equipment is mind boggling. I can recognize Mac, Pass, and McCormack. The black pre's with the silver nobs might be Primare or Hovland, but it's too blurry to tell. All incredible stuff, nonetheless.

I've always wanted to audition Hale's, but they are hard to find in the states.

The Hales T3's were the first speaker that i really liked. The even beat the Wilson Watt Puppys in my book. The T8's are still on my wish list of speakers to own. Unfortunatly Hales no longer exists, so these are pretty rare.

Flo

Which W/P's did you hear, Flo? The WP7's blew me away and many have said they sound much more musical than the previous gen's, which were apparently too analytical.

Well it was 5 years ago, so whichever model was "in" at that time i guess.

-Flo

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Looks like the real deal

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    If anyone on here is looking for a speaker that just makes good music and is pretty affordable check this out. This is one of my fav. box speaker!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1135020910
    Original boxes and manuals too.

The guy's got a sweet setup!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

RGA
    Forum Regular

4" thick MDF baffle? I'd hate negotiate the shipping for that one....talk about damping.
    Those things are bullet-proof!!!

Impressive specs for a 10" woofer in a sealed cabinet. Very impressive!
    Sound Plus on Broadway carried hales I heard there top of the line speakers and a another model which was around $7,000.00Cad connected to a $90,000.00 front end Of big Krell and the Linn CD 12 which is a $30,000.00Cad CD player. The Hales were pretty good but I preferred much cheaper speakers the dealer carried. Hales folded and that same dealer is now carrying Wilson and Dynaudio. The Sophia is a nice speaker but at $16k I often wonder why Wilson is the go to speaker when people compare -- probably due to price and the fact that Stereophile loves them for some unknown reason. I'm not surprised they went under - and I won't be when consumers figure out Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I often wonder why Wilson is the go to speaker when people compare -- probably due to price and the fact that Stereophile loves them for some unknown reason.
    Or, God forbid, it could be they actually like their sound . Respect isn't given, it's earned. Just because you don't, doesn't mean other people agree with you.
    I'm not surprised they went under - and I won't be when consumers figure out Wilson.
    What an asinine statement. Which consumers would that be? The ones that have made the W/P the most popular hi-end speaker in the last 25 years? Don't forget, Dave Wilson has been successfully building speakers for decades now. He may not have the financial reserves of Peter, but he likely has a larger client base. Of couse, the very nature of the hi-end is so fly-by-night as it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of purveyors play Casper .

Hey Topspeed your forgetting something! It cost Peter 50$ to build those IKEA speakers and he find people that buy them for 4000$.....its no wonder he stays in bizz

Companys that close are all bad. Genesis has been bankrupt 3 times, Pipedreams are no longer, neither is Hales and Infinity only made it cause they stopped building world class speakers. Apogee died because they just sucked, you didnt know? And Wilson will die soon too, since they AudioNote is kicking it up a notch by using hotglue instead of a sticking system

-Flo

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Or, God forbid, it could be they actually like their sound . Respect isn't given, it's earned. Just because you don't, doesn't mean other people agree with you.
    What an asinine statement. Which consumers would that be? The ones that have made the W/P the most popular hi-end speaker in the last 25 years? Don't forget, Dave Wilson has been successfully building speakers for decades now. He may not have the financial reserves of Peter, but he likely has a larger client base. Of couse, the very nature of the hi-end is so fly-by-night as it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see the majority of purveyors play Casper .

I know an Ex Wilson owner (and what he replaced them with) and I've directly heard the Sophia -- have you? The Sophia is a good speaker but at $16k connected to a $50k front end in a professionally set-up room that was strictly made for the Wilsons. It was far from a speaker that made me think I was not listening to a speaker and it was not free of problems. For what it's worth at least the Hales were not as overpriced. Umm what statistical evidence do you have that Wilson is the most popular speaker in the high End -- High End is a lame word that means high priced most of the time. Financial reserves are created by selling thousands of speakers and products and saving money by not "thanking reviewers" with advertising revenue to keep them in a job. I don't see what they have to do with my comments on two speaker companies. I heard Hales well before the main speakers I have and that was what I felt about them way back then. The Sophia I worte and reviwed here and liked but they don;t have the bass depth I am use to nor the integration and "as one" to the sounds of instruments that I would like. It's the price I balk at and wonder if there are shoppers buying on price and prestige than on merit. The Gershman X1/Sub 1 is IMO a similar sounding but better IMO better sounding option than the Sophia for about $11k less money. But if it's about prestige and gotta have it because a mag says so and I need to be somebody important through what I buy then hey spend the $11k extra - what do I care.

It's just a hobby
    I know an Ex Wilson owner (and what he replaced them with) and I've directly heard the Sophia -- have you? The Sophia is a good speaker but at $16k connected to a $50k front end in a professionally set-up room that was strictly made for the Wilsons. It was far from a speaker that made me think I was not listening to a speaker and it was not free of problems.
    You do not like the speaker...or is the AN 20K speaker you speak fondly of, perfect?

But if it's about prestige and gotta have it because a mag says so and I need to be somebody important through what I buy then hey spend the $11k extra - what do I care.
    From someone who trumpets the virtues of speakers costing USD85K (all silver AN-E) 18K DACs (DAC 5 blah blah blah ) and 78K power amplifiers (Ongaku) this is rich.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    You do not like the speaker...or is the AN 20K speaker you speak fondly of, perfect?

From someone who trumpets the virtues of speakers costing USD85K (all silver AN-E) 18K DACs (DAC 5 blah blah blah ) and 78K power amplifiers (Ongaku) this is rich.
    I don't trumpet any of these things since i've heard none of them -- whether I would pay the premium for any of these is doubtful -- And I never once broght them up??? It is strange that if I make a comment on any speaker it is you and your friends who start talking about what I own! If you make a comment on B&W I don't change the subject to Quad and Elac or for the other subject changers about VS or Apogee or Magnepan. My comment was to Kex to listen rather than judge solely based on the design...considering the original poster hates anything with MDF he has now reverted to praising a speaker that is all MDF I wonder why - and to attack speaker that use no mdf and lies and says they do.

My comments on Hales are not exactly new nor do they differ much from what even the press who usually loves everything had to say. "I moved the Transcendence Three's into a different environment, hoping that a changed acoustic might bring them to life. Even this made no difference. The same fundamental problem remained. I could not get a sense of musical enjoyment from them. They remained technically impressive but emotionally uninspiring.../...Unfortunately to me, it rarely feels as it the music is essentially reassembled. If I was wearing my sound engineer's hat then I'd probably be ecstatic, but as a domestic speaker I found the Hales tantalising, and ultimately frustrating.
    When the time came for the Hales Transcendence Three's to be packed away I was still in awe of their technological refinement, but I just couldn't help feeling that there are older and simpler units, of flapping paper and wooden box construction, which are musically more satisfying." Hi Fi + on the Hales Transcendence Three By Chris Binns Issue 1 - April 1999.

I don't understand why the topic needed to be changed - I am talking about the Hales speaker maker and their top line. The Revelation 3 was much better to me in terms of value for dollar - I made the trip to the dealer to listen to Hales due to the reviews as the Rev 3 was in my price range - I also wanted to hear the top of the range because I like to hear how close the family sound is (or if the designer has a clear goal across the speaker range). I could not relax to them nor do I find anything particularly exceptional about them that a host of other speakers were doing. That said the same store is now carrying Wilson which was also brought up - not by me - and I hear similarities but moreover the Wilsons are more expensive. The Wilsons are more relaxing but I would want another listen because Woochifer noted some upper mid lower treble issues while I noticed a lack of cohesion from the drivers - so the tweeter could in a longer session draw my ear to that issue. Hales I found to be largely what that reviewer noted - I simply could not get into the music otherwise I would have bought them. Geez you state a listening session of a speaker that went out of business and everyone starts talking about an entirely different company - I gather most have not directly heard Hales top lines - and it appears not Wilson either.

I stress that I liked what I heard from the Sophia but just not at the price when there are similar sounding if perhpas even a little better sounding speakers of similar approach like the Gershman Acoustics X1 Sub 1 for 1/3 the price - do yourselves a favour and listen to both and you may agree that spending $11,000Cad more on the Sophia is not necessarily the smartest thing - but if you have a need to impress audiophile neighbours Wilson has prestige - Gershman may illicit a "who's that."

It's just a hobby
    It is strange that if I make a comment on any speaker it is you and your friends who start talking about what I own! If you make a comment on B&W I don't change the subject to Quad and Elac or for the other subject changers about VS or Apogee or Magnepan
    You do...and on a couple of occassions you went on a rampage, or have you forgotten the Genelec 8000 series debacle, and that is just one example.

My comments on Hales are not exactly new nor do they differ much from what even the press who usually loves everything had to say
    Why do you find it so convenient to quote the press to buttress your points and yet you denigrate those who quote the press to support their own viewpoint. Learn to air your viewpoints without using crutches.

do yourselves a favour and listen to both and you may agree that spending $11,000Cad more on the Sophia is not necessarily the smartest thing - but if you have a need to impress audiophile neighbours Wilson has prestige - Gershman may illicit a "who's that."
    Do yourself a favour and have some self-awareness, the Ongaku is as much a prestige symbol as the Wilson, both will impress the neighbours and audiophile friends alike.

AMEN!

Hey wait, a fight with RGA and i am not involved? Something is wrong here! Oh wait, AudioNote is better then Wilson, thats because they only show a setup that is dirt cheap and runs 500000$....... but dont worry, it wont impress your neighbors

RGA
    Forum Regular
    You do...and on a couple of occassions you went on a rampage, or have you forgotten the Genelec 8000 series debacle, and that is just one example.

Why do you find it so convenient to quote the press to buttress your points and yet you denigrate those who quote the press to support their own viewpoint. Learn to air your viewpoints without using crutches.

Do yourself a favour and have some self-awareness, the Ongaku is as much a prestige symbol as the Wilson, both will impress the neighbours and audiophile friends alike.
    Well you are going to another post to support what you are saying here -- that is a crutch -- indeed, you argue against my tactic by using the same one which is a nullifier. The press generally likes everything -- so it is unusual to find one that is is generally negative. I stated what I thought of the speaker period end of story -- but you and your co-horts bring up entiorely different companies and entirely different componants. What does the Ongaku have to do with a discussion on speakers from Hales. I have heard the Hales I have not heard the Ongaku. There is a difference between a prestige product and a prestige product that lives up to its hype. The Wilson Watt 5 or other top Wilson's may warrant the price and the hype so might the Ongaku -- then again I may not find them to do so if I ever hear them. I talked about products I have directly heard. And my opinion is based of hearing the Sophia and the Gershman Acoustics X1 and Sub 1 (a speaker of similar approach). Of course if you're in the more expensive is "always" better approach then there is no point in talking further to you on these points. No point getting into a battle of wits with unarmed opponants.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    AMEN!

Hey wait, a fight with RGA and i am not involved? Something is wrong here! Oh wait, AudioNote is better then Wilson, thats because they only show a setup that is dirt cheap and runs 500000$....... but dont worry, it wont impress your neighbors
    I'm not sure I follow this point - People buying should be buying to impress themselves - and I don't get the showing part - showing what at 500,000? Do you mean showing gear at shows? By all means all my comments on Wilson and hales are solely based on my auditons with them - their job to get my sale is to impress me - and they did in some areas and the Sophia did but not at the money because the Gershmans I like better at 1/3 the money so they impressed me way more. What my neighbor prefers or what other people prefer is up to them since it's their money and their time listening to the speakers. My neighbor very well may like the sound of the Wilson better than the Gershman and feel the 11k extra is worth it.

Thats cool, because noone on this forum as ever been impressed by the value or the sound of the speakers you hype. You cant talk about value...85K for 6 wooden panels, 2 drivers and some silver wire and parts. You post reviews and articles, but so do the others and your points simply dont hold anything. You say for yourself, go and listen and ignore the press. Well, how can we ignore it when you psot it as your defense on the AN's?
    I think Wilson is a better value, sound and build quaity wise then the AN's and i am sure we all exept you agree on that.

-Flo

RGA
    Forum Regular
    hahaha - Flo have you considered suing your brains for non-support?

I'd be impressed

If a neighbour or some buddy of mine got himself an Ongaku I'd be impressed ... that he had 'way more money than brains.

No, I haven't heard the Ongaku: but nothing with that type of specs could sound so good as to justify the price.

Think of it as investment....

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    If a neighbour or some buddy of mine got himself an Ongaku I'd be impressed ... that he had 'way more money than brains.

No, I haven't heard the Ongaku: but nothing with that type of specs could sound so good as to justify the price.
    In the Silver market, not the audio one!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Thats cool, because noone on this forum as ever been impressed by the value or the sound of the speakers you hype. You cant talk about value...85K for 6 wooden panels, 2 drivers and some silver wire and parts. You post reviews and articles, but so do the others and your points simply dont hold anything. You say for yourself, go and listen and ignore the press. Well, how can we ignore it when you psot it as your defense on the AN's?
    I think Wilson is a better value, sound and build quaity wise then the AN's and i am sure we all exept you agree on that.

-Flo
    I can't speak for the $85K AN's, I haven't heard them. I have spent a lot of time with the AN E and AN K, and have heard briefly the AN J though. A bit with the AX models, but I don't like them at all for the money. The E and K are pretty good values IMO. Very nice speakers that have distinct flavor. Simple,effective design. Not my favorites for the money but as good or better than a lot of other crap out there.
    Audio Note makes good speakers, we shouldn't deny that. It's the BS marketing-that-isn't-marketing and the odd fanatical musing of the owner that turn me off a bit sometimes. When someone goes through a lot of trouble to bash a lot of speaker designs and philosophies, cites their superior methods and sound, and the fails to show me more realistic, better sound, I get a little disappointed. More effort spent into the product and less bashing others on the internet might accomplish something.

My comment was to Kex to listen rather than judge solely based on the design
    Thanks...I have never dismissed any real speaker (except obvious sub $100 made in china specials) without first giving it the benefit of the doubt. I don't have a favorite design, I just like great execution of whatever design is used. I determine great execution by listening. First and foremost. That said, when I can't listen to it, I look at the design for hints. The sound is the design, the design is what you are listening to. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I was just surprised in this case the designer felt the need for 4" of MDF...More than a few articles and studies I've read have shown 1" MDF is the breaking point for 10" woofers or smaller(except in rare high SPL cases) beyond which no benefits are realized (in fact new disadvantages are introduced)...0.75" or birch ply is usually better. One thing I've noticed about audiophiles is that weight seems to mean a lot to them, not necessarily build construction. Ask someone if their speakers are assembled using mortis and tennon joints and they'll tilt their head at you. But damn, they're good and heavy, so they must be A grade. See it in amps and receivers all the time...rediculously oversized heat sinks or archaic power supplies that just add cost and weight. I'm sure manufacturers aren't dumb to weight being a quick judging tool, and exploit this.

I think HDF would have been cheaper, stronger, lighter, and offered some reduced size and shipping cost benefits...then again, the guy that made these enjoyed some success obviously, so maybe he honestly feels the extra weigth was doing something else.

Here's how I understand it

I was just surprised in this case the designer felt the need for 4" of MDF...More than a few articles and studies I've read have shown 1" MDF is the breaking point for 10" woofers or smaller(except in rare high SPL cases) beyond which no benefits are realized (in fact new disadvantages are introduced)...0.75" or birch ply is usually better. One thing I've noticed about audiophiles is that weight seems to mean a lot to them, not necessarily build construction. Ask someone if their speakers are assembled using mortis and tennon joints and they'll tilt their head at you. But damn, they're good and heavy, so they must be A grade. See it in amps and receivers all the time...rediculously oversized heat sinks or archaic power supplies that just add cost and weight. I'm sure manufacturers aren't dumb to weight being a quick judging tool, and exploit this.

I think HDF would have been cheaper, stronger, lighter, and offered some reduced size and shipping cost benefits...then again, the guy that made these enjoyed some success obviously, so maybe he honestly feels the extra weigth was doing something else.
    The reason for a designer going with an over-designed front baffle is the same reason that several manufacturers have gone to isolated bass modules; Isolation of vibration induced harmonics between the drivers. Companies like Thiel also use a thick front baffle, and go even further by making the baffle a radiused and sloped, to reduce diffraction effects & bring the drivers into time alignment. Also Wilson is famous for it's attention to the cabinet harmonic transfer effects. Even going so far as to develop different density specific material for each driver!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Actually, i heard the Ongaku and i also heard my friends big Silvaweld and Allen Wreights Realtime Preamplifier and also this AudioNote Japan electronics are much more expensive it did sound very good indeed. But their speakers are a joke for the money, no matter how you cut it in my opinion.

-Flo

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Kex - Weight is associated with more damping I suspect so the heavier you make it the more it probably seems like you're getting for your dollar - though I suspect that is true with generally BIG speakers. They are after all selling mainly to males.

I have found that a number of very heavey big speakers have a tendency to sound dead as though the enrgy is being stored rather than released (or kept in the box).

And yes Kex i may be on a one note but this is based off my experiences so far and until I hear better competition then this is the place I am in for the next while. And when you go up against the massive industry loved stuff you're going to take some heat from many quarters. But this fellow while I don;t agree with much of what he says seems to be an awful right in my view of a number of highly raved about designs that are shilled off in Stereophile and TAS -- namely setting his sights againsts Wilson - I stress I don't agree with all his points or even some of his comments on the sound of the speakers such as the Sophia
    http://www.audioperfectionist.com/PD...J_WD_19_20.pdf
    A Wilson Maxx review http://www.audioperfectionist.com/PD.../APJ_WD_21.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information