Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    Preamps are not Rotels strong point. You can get used Adcom preamps cheap and they are pretty good. The Emo could be the best way to go but I haven't heard one to compare. Many of the Adcom preamps include tuners. Some of the NAD preamps are cheap too but I'm not sure what models are good and what to stay away from.

Suspended
    Oh, if you have a Craigslist that serves your area throw your used gear up there to see if it sells.

Deathcore for life Freewillisdead112's Avatar
    craigslist around here doesnt sell very well with stuff that isnt new idk why. the only thingss that sell are marantz and mcintosh i swear!

I can use my pioneer till it dies. plus if i wanted to bi amp something, i could, even with a single amp. my int. doesnt have pre outs, it has headphone rca outs, which i have used before and work quite well!

for some odd reason if i run 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers on it it looses its pep.

idk why

its a a/b

picking them up in a hour!

ill let u guys know how they sound!

=]

Quote Originally Posted by Freewillisdead112
    picking them up in a hour!

ill let u guys know how they sound!

=]
    Don't let those big Mach one horns blow your head off!!!!

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

harley, i see u have a yamaha center. is it any good, i had one before and i thought it was the worst thing ever. it was also a radio shack closeout =]

harley, i see u have a yamaha center. is it any good, i had one before and i thought it was the worst thing ever. it was also a radio shack closeout =]
    actually I got it as a christmas gift and thought what the hell I will try it out and wow for the money it is great. It is the ns 555 model and I do believe they still make this speaker. What I really liked about it is that the size is right to fit where I had planned to put a center on my entertainment center. It has a very attractive piano black appearance and more importantly than anything it has two 5" mica filled poly cone midwoofers and a 1" aluminum dome tweeter. Which are built pretty good and the crossover seems to due its job pretty good as well. There are better ones out there but my ex wife got it at a steal for only 150 bucks. It blends very well with my other speakers. I might get laughed at for having this speaker in my system by some of your upper high end guys but this speaker really impresses me for the money.

My bad. my mind slips me once again. It is actually the ns-c444 center channel that I have and yes it is still made.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

After thinking about it the ns 555 is one of the tower speake yamaha makes that is in the same series as my center channel.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

yeah even at 150 bucks the tweeter even sounds better than allot of other centers out there with metal dome tweeters and the poly filled mica midwoofs are smooth as well

My main question here is how are the Machs. Have you hooked them up yet or are you in the clean up and check out process?

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Suspended
    Well Free Willy hasn't been back so either he is rockin or the dude who had the speakers is an ax murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Well Free Willy hasn't been back so either he is rockin or the dude who had the speakers is an ax murderer.
    Well I hope he is in the middle of a Metallica song or something and they sound good enough that he forgot to reply. I know my friend had those Machs and he said they good get plenty loud and looking at the horn they use in the top of those things I could see that!!

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

that just upset me!

the guy owns a toy store or something and had to be inbed by 10, i make by his house by 10:15, got lost and hes one of those who shuts his phone off when going night night!

went to the ghetto for no reason!

the early bird gets the worm, and i guess no snack for me!

ima make him deliver tomarrow =]

thanks for stating my name was free willy, it made my night

its actually free will is dead, a lyric from a song!

but it does look like free willy is dead! hahahaha

Suspended
    Well, there is a scenario we hadn't considered.

I got your name, I was just being lazy, next time i can spell it out if it makes you happy "if it makes you happy" is a lyric from a song too.

Well, there is a scenario we hadn't considered.

I got your name, I was just being lazy, next time i can spell it out if it makes you happy "if it makes you happy" is a lyric from a song too.
    funny funny!

the guy doesnt drive, so i have to return to the ghetto once again!

that could be a movie the return to the ghetto, part 2

if i have to move my speakers to the car one more time i swear!

I like the way you think

I actually was buying the machs for a bedroom two channel system!!
    which was thinking about the adcom for.

The mach ones
    the emo cd player
    maybe forget the dvd player and play mp3's in the living room, seeing as i only listen to them to evaluate cds before i buy them anyways, if there good enough, then they get a good listen =]
    and the adcom like you and a couple other kindly chimed in with!

I am trying to pawn my jbls on the guy for his machs, i wont need or want them once i have something a little cooler.

I cant buy all the fancy stuff till my new place is moved into seeing as i live in a less then 800 sq feet apt. sad i know =[

hope he trades me!

the lights are starting to go on my old pioneer, and i dont see it fit to fix it seeing its kind of a low end piece and id like to replace it sooner then later.

any good pre's?

adcom or rotel?

what about the emo pre, it looks really cool!
    I have worked with several adcom preamps and for the most part they are very good. They did make one model that I hated and I think it was the 450. The thing had to drive in the preamp stage at all. I had to crank the heck out of it just to get moderate volume out of the Adcom amps. The other preamps they made did not have this problem.

The rotel stuff seems to be rated well but I don't have a certain model to go for.

The Emotiva brand seems to be a very popular topic nowadays and I know they are talked about all the time buy Axiom speaker owers as a very good product. Just do your homework and try to find the best unit you ca afford and will do your system good. Just stay away from the gtp 450. Its a tuner preamp. The tuner works well but I think they cut the preamp output down to about half the voltage of the other Adcom preamps. Stay away from it. If someone has a story about this model then great but at the shop I managed we tried 3 of them and all three had this issue so we quit ordering it.

I just took a look and seen some preamps on ebay and other sites from Adcom and you can get one hell of a preamp for little money used. I am not sure the prices on the Emotiva stuff but I just seen an Adcom gfp 555 preamp for a about 140 bucks and I have used this unit and know its a clean preamp. Sure there is better pre's out there but I know your like me and if the price is cheap enough and you know its a quality preamp its a good buy and you can allways upgrade later if you find something better. But at those prices your starting to jump into the higher end for the price of a minisystem. just trying to help
    Last edited by harley .guy07; 08-07-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I have worked with several adcom preamps and for the most part they are very good. They did make one model that I hated and I think it was the 450. The thing had to drive in the preamp stage at all. I had to crank the heck out of it just to get moderate volume out of the Adcom amps. The other preamps they made did not have this problem.

The rotel stuff seems to be rated well but I don't have a certain model to go for.

The Emotiva brand seems to be a very popular topic nowadays and I know they are talked about all the time buy Axiom speaker owers as a very good product. Just do your homework and try to find the best unit you ca afford and will do your system good. Just stay away from the gtp 450. Its a tuner preamp. The tuner works well but I think they cut the preamp output down to about half the voltage of the other Adcom preamps. Stay away from it. If someone has a story about this model then great but at the shop I managed we tried 3 of them and all three had this issue so we quit ordering it.
    i will forsure stay away from it!

i was thinking about the emo pre cuz it has home theatre bypass! which would be cool, if i had a okay av receiver to handle the surrounds. now is there a cheap mono amp out there that would do well for center, but add more fidelity to it over the on board amp?

i will forsure stay away from it!

i was thinking about the emo pre cuz it has home theatre bypass! which would be cool, if i had a okay av receiver to handle the surrounds. now is there a cheap mono amp out there that would do well for center, but add more fidelity to it over the on board amp?
    Really the feeling I am getting from you is that music is your primary concern while home theater is a secondary. I run a yamaha htr5560 home theater receiver and its got pre outs to run my Adcom for the mains. It in my opinion makes a very good preamp for my adcom and have no problems matching levels with the center and rear channels working off the yamaha's center and rear power. If you don't have the room for a dedicated music system and dedicated theater system like I don't then incorporate the two the best you can. I am not saying that my yamy would not be beat buy Emo preamp but so far I have been rather surprised at how good the preamp section is in this unit. I even use the inboard DACs in my yamaha for my dvd/cd player and it is clean. now as far as mono amps most of the monoblocks I have come across are rather high end units with quite a bit of power for using two of them to drive some of the low sensitivity high end speakers that are out there. Finding one of these on the cheap would be a find in itself. And I think using one of these just for a center channel speaker would be overkill seeing how most of the solid state monoblocks are usually at least 300 watts if not more. There are some tube amps out there at lower wattage but using one of these just for a center amp would be overkill in my opinion. And it would ad more problems in timbre matching your speakers for theater operation. I know a lot of people that end up seperating their theater systems from there music systems due to the same problem your facing.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

just asking dumb questions, i grew up in the fake watts age, when the walmart stereo says its 1000 watts and its really like 200 hahha!

so my mind is still set on how many watts a can shove into something, that doesnt exist or isnt possible!

I am planing on doing a 5.1 in the living room.

a quite a thrifty little set up im thinking.

An onkyo/yamaha/pioneer elite older 5.1 receiver (with preouts, just in case) without hdmi.
    I figure, i wont have a hdtv until led takes over and the lcds and plasmas get more cheaper so who needed blu ray on a crt haha!
    the axiom mid level tower
    the axiom center
    the axiom surrounds
    the mid level sub
    the oppo dvd player
    blue jeans wire/interconects

axiom offers lay away for people like me that money blows a hole in there pocket when saving needs to be done! =]

that seems like a decently good, budget system.

I can do it all piece by piece, so i wont kill my cash flow!

and i think im getting those speakers tonight, but my two channel system will be the cheaper boat! =] lets wait and see what they sound like on the old faithful!

just asking dumb questions, i grew up in the fake watts age, when the walmart stereo says its 1000 watts and its really like 200 hahha!

so my mind is still set on how many watts a can shove into something, that doesnt exist or isnt possible!

I am planing on doing a 5.1 in the living room.

a quite a thrifty little set up im thinking.

An onkyo/yamaha/pioneer elite older 5.1 receiver (with preouts, just in case) without hdmi.
    I figure, i wont have a hdtv until led takes over and the lcds and plasmas get more cheaper so who needed blu ray on a crt haha!
    the axiom mid level tower
    the axiom center
    the axiom surrounds
    the mid level sub
    the oppo dvd player
    blue jeans wire/interconects

axiom offers lay away for people like me that money blows a hole in there pocket when saving needs to be done! =]

that seems like a decently good, budget system.

I can do it all piece by piece, so i wont kill my cash flow!

and i think im getting those speakers tonight, but my two channel system will be the cheaper boat! =] lets wait and see what they sound like on the old faithful!
    Well the Axiom system sounds like it could be the ticket. Get the receiver that matches the features and power you need. From what I have read the Axioms are pretty efficient so they will run with a good but not too expensive receiver but as well the axioms could handle and sonically benefit from more power so definitely get a receive that has the option to run a power amp with it as well. But otherwise it sounds like you are on the right path to a good sounding system that might surprise some of the price is no object guys to how close you can come to the higher end stuff if you know how to set it up and using quality interconnects and cables. I know I have.
    The two channel system you are talking about sounds like it will be more of a vintage setup that might sound good for rocking out to some metal stuff and you can slowly build it up as well when the pennies come your way. enjoy and let me know how them machs sound. Hey if you stand in front of those big horns you might save money on running your air conditioner.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    Well the Axiom system sounds like it could be the ticket. Get the receiver that matches the features and power you need. From what I have read the Axioms are pretty efficient so they will run with a good but not too expensive receiver but as well the axioms could handle and sonically benefit from more power so definitely get a receive that has the option to run a power amp with it as well. But otherwise it sounds like you are on the right path to a good sounding system that might surprise some of the price is no object guys to how close you can come to the higher end stuff if you know how to set it up and using quality interconnects and cables. I know I have.
    The two channel system you are talking about sounds like it will be more of a vintage setup that might sound good for rocking out to some metal stuff and you can slowly build it up as well when the pennies come your way. enjoy and let me know how them machs sound. Hey if you stand in front of those big horns you might save money on running your air conditioner.
    Thats a good way of saving a few bucks. thats a plus when your young and on your own!

I found a dynaco mark 3 (2) amps and a pas 3 pre amp for 450 bucks!!!!

i know its all tube, but for some odd reason that sounds like a really good price me!

it looks like it really needs to be cleaned up, but all works!

I wont spimp on the receiver, I plan on getting each speaker at a time. so that i can put the most money into everything i want instead of getting what i can afford at the moment. if i get the towers first, i can rock two channel. if i get the center next i can rock 3 channel, then get the surrounds, then the sub. idek if i can get a sub where im moving, i might not even need one honestly. I thought there was almost to much bass from my little jbls and there not exactly quality. and with apartments, subs can get you in alot of trouble.

I live in a apartment with firewalls and concrete between the floors and i got notices every other day for my little 100 watt 8 inch powered sub (radio shack brand, was 60 bucks, said why not =])

so i had to sell it!

i bought a close out system on get this crap out of here sale for like 200, used it for 2 months, sold it for 275....without the surrounds!

gotta get that paper!

Thats a good way of saving a few bucks. thats a plus when your young and on your own!

I found a dynaco mark 3 (2) amps and a pas 3 pre amp for 450 bucks!!!!

i know its all tube, but for some odd reason that sounds like a really good price me!

it looks like it really needs to be cleaned up, but all works!

I wont spimp on the receiver, I plan on getting each speaker at a time. so that i can put the most money into everything i want instead of getting what i can afford at the moment. if i get the towers first, i can rock two channel. if i get the center next i can rock 3 channel, then get the surrounds, then the sub. idek if i can get a sub where im moving, i might not even need one honestly. I thought there was almost to much bass from my little jbls and there not exactly quality. and with apartments, subs can get you in alot of trouble.

I live in a apartment with firewalls and concrete between the floors and i got notices every other day for my little 100 watt 8 inch powered sub (radio shack brand, was 60 bucks, said why not =])

so i had to sell it!

i bought a close out system on get this crap out of here sale for like 200, used it for 2 months, sold it for 275....without the surrounds!

gotta get that paper!
    I don't know the worth of the dynaco stuff. I don't keep up with the worth of tube amps. I play guitar and bass and have a tube guitar amp but for my bass rig I use sold state for reliability. Two things that keeps some people away from tube amps is one-the amount of power you can get out of tube are limited(most are 25 to 60 wpc maybe 80 if your lucky). While some tube amp people will say that 50 watts of tube power is worth 200 of solid state. I am not sure I agree but I do know there are some great sounding tube amps out there. two- reliability. It seems that people are always working on them or tinkering with them, changing capacitors,transformers,tubes and while some people enjoy it and make it a hobby within itself I prefer the more reliable solid state stuff of today. I know there are solid state tinkerers out there but usually all they are doing is modifying the power transformers or upping the stiffening capacitors to allow for more dynamic power and are not fixing problems or tracing down noisy components in their circuits.
    I know that there are allot of tube guys out there and they will probably want to debate me on this or shoot me which ever comes first but this is my personal preference and I stick by it. When I managed the high end shop years ago we did audition some tube amps from our reps from time to time but decided against them since we live in a smaller area and did not think they would sell well. And for the most part there are not very many audiophiles in the area that are knowledgeable enough to work on their own stuff. Which if you are going to own tube amps you better learn how to work on them or you will pay a fortune every time something brakes or needs modified on them.

Buy your equipment as you can afford it. That way you are not downgrading to get it all at once. What I mean is I have seen people choose a lesser quality receiver or amp just so they can afford to buy it when they bought their speakers. Start out by saving for the main pair of speakers you want, then find a receiver or amp that will push them to their best. As the money comes finish the system with the components you want and don't get in a hurry. every time I have done that I end up with stuff that is not quite what I wanted. You've got time on your side and you so far are picking out good stuff in my opinion. All right I'll shut up know. jam on

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

i just remembered that stuff maybe being worth something.

so back to the ghetto i go part two in a hour to get my new ac unit =]

i swear ima get this and my int amp is going to expload, i swear, it hates me!

if i dont find something new soon ima have to use my old 20x2 (inflated) mini hifi receiver! with its AWSOME dac that idek if exists! haha.

it was funny, before i got my pioneer back i was using it, and thought it actually sounded okay. boy when i hooked my pookie back up did i get suprised! It kinda sucks im getting rid of the jbls, cuz i still havent got to hear them on a good stereo to know what they can really do, but that tweeter man! gotttttttttttaaaaaaa gooooo!

ima have to get spade clips arnt i? i think thats what the machs have in the back!

at least thats a excuse to use to get some quality cables!

I got um!

there in next to bad shape, but i can fix them up pretty well im thinking

since its a sealed inclosures its got a nice warm bass.

the highs are some of the best IVE heard in a long time!

For the 80 bucks i paid for the jbls a few months ago, this is the best trade/deal ive ever got!

The seperation of instruments on these speakers is insane, i was expecting tinny highs like my old cerwin vegas, WRONG! I was expecting insane annoying bass, WRONG.

Its the best 80 bucks of my life!

the surrounds are in pretty bad shape, but im will to do a re-foam (there the original 40-4034a models so they have the enhanced foam that doesnt rot, but it gets dence after years of play, and rap in the ghetto!)

there is a couple tears that arnt through the whole surround that just look bad, but dont seem to effect anything.

the midrange is nice and sweet.

I am really hearing things that wernt here before on some of my music, its strange. there songs i listen to almost on a daily bases.

after some staining, a in do time re surround and remaking some grills for them i think ima have a okay looking set of speakers.

will open them up and what not and take pics tomarrow to let yall see what there up to. idk what to look for in crossover ****.

there is a pretty big chunk missing out of the bottom of the right one, idk if thats fixable seeing as ive never fixed anything wood.

but for real, these are the best speakers ive ever owned in my life!

=]

Suspended
    Glad to hear you like them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information