Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Almost There
    The ideal integration between L+R and bass augmentation would be to have not one but two subs. This is the easiest way to energize the room evenly thus avoiding the dips which are most probably nodal in nature. I agree that L+R should be run in its full range and that the subs should catch the roll off. If the subs have decent parametric equalizers then the job should be easier in that the Q and the shelf or knee can be used to set the LF rise as closely as possible with the same slope as the L+R's predesigned roll off.

Some times the discontinuity arises from the differing sonic characters of the main power amplifiers and that of the plate amps built into the subwoofers. IME this is ameliorated by using the main poweramps essentially as the driver stage of the plate amps on the subs. This is accomplished simply by choosing to employ the high level inputs on the subwoofers.

If the subwoofer parametrics are not up to snuff, professional active electronic crossover networks like those by Rane or Bheringer are fairly cheap and can easily be inserted in the chain between pre-amp and sub via either Pre-out 2 , sometimes Tape/Monitor Out or worse comes to worse the use of Y-splitters.

Bass traps do just that. They trap bass. They should be used to smoothen out bass response when there is an excess. In this case my simplistic mind tells me that the addition of another sub will come much cheaper than authentic ASC traps and will fall in the ballpark of a quality DIY job anyway.

As for the subs themselves I recommend that in general subs using acoustic suspension (sealed) be used. They may not be as quick as reflex loaded subs but are, again generally, more tuneful.

I think you will find that this approach will best emulate the sound of double stacked systems (Watt Puppies, VR-4xs, etc) that are really just monitors set on PASSIVE subs.

In closing, I believe you will also find that with two subs your level settings will be low enough for each that the usual resonance from materials in the subs enclosure and adjacent boundaries will become unobtrusive and help contribute to a more coherent soundscape.

Good Luck and Happy Night Flying!

nightflier
    Jack,

Thanks for the detailed response. I'll be using a single SVS cylinder sub for now (space issue), but if I do go with two subs, I would probably replace it with a pair of PartExpress subs. I've heard so many good reviews of them, that for the money, it seems the logical choice.

I'm still playing around with the speakers (sans sub) and will have more to say about them when I get more down on paper about them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information