Forum Regular

Post Pushing beyond woofer's excursion range: any damage?

I own a small pair of ProAcs and I recently played some low bass material at a high volume level which caused the woofer cone to move beyond its excursion limit. I heard an awful "click" sound and I turned down the sound immediately. It probably lasted a second or so. Do you think I may have caused any damage to the speakers or are they designed to handle these peaks? I am listening to them and everything seems pretty normal to me, it is just that I am kinda picky with my gear. If there's likely a chance of something getting damage, what would it be, the woofer's suspension or the coil? Thanks in advance to all replies.

The 'awful click' you heard was more than likely the voice coil slamming against the back of the magnet which is one of the quickest ways to destory a speaker for sure. Hopefully you're okay though since you didn't let it go on for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by cchean
    I own a small pair of ProAcs and I recently played some low bass material at a high volume level which caused the woofer cone to move beyond its excursion limit. I heard an awful "click" sound and I turned down the sound immediately. It probably lasted a second or so. Do you think I may have caused any damage to the speakers or are they designed to handle these peaks? I am listening to them and everything seems pretty normal to me, it is just that I am kinda picky with my gear. If there's likely a chance of something getting damage, what would it be, the woofer's suspension or the coil? Thanks in advance to all replies.
    if thats the first time that ever happened and it was only a second, I'm positive the speaker is fine. I did that many times with my sub by accident and it's still fine. So just try not to do that, but if you hear it again just turn it down a little, it won't be the end of your speaker (most likely).

Thumbs down Any Damage? Uh Yeah....

Like any spring or other physical piece of equipment if you push, pull or extend something beyond it's physical limitations even ONCE you've weakened it structurally and every time after that it will be easier and easier to distend, distort or destroy said piece of equipment. How do I know this? Years of Playing Bass guitar, decades actually. Years of dealing with 10 inch speakers, and 12 inch drivers and 15 inch woofers and 18 inch monsters. Pushing speakers to the point where they litterally slam themselves against the grating of the enclosure. Add to that, years of watching other musicians fry their s**t as well...

Da Worfster

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Like any spring or other physical piece of equipment if you push, pull or extend something beyond it's physical limitations even ONCE you've weakened it structurally and every time after that it will be easier and easier to distend, distort or destroy said piece of equipment. How do I know this? Years of Playing Bass guitar, decades actually. Years of dealing with 10 inch speakers, and 12 inch drivers and 15 inch woofers and 18 inch monsters. Pushing speakers to the point where they litterally slam themselves against the grating of the enclosure. Add to that, years of watching other musicians fry their s**t as well...

Da Worfster
    Man, I feel your pain...I've got a bad habbit of frying small practice amps whenever I get a new guitar, pedal, whatever and feel like showing off my chops....especially those cheap little 8" or 10" Peavey's....you'd figure I'd learn my lesson, but Peavey's are great....they sound like crap and can be bought by the dozen at any pawn shop...I use 'em like batteries

With most speakers I've owned, usually (but not always) you'll hear lead-slap first...This is a good warning to turn things down...Unless of course the music's too loud, then you don't hear it until it's too late. I pooched my old CV's that way.

Thread Information