• 06-27-2004, 05:16 PM
    bkulish
    Problem: Speaker cone dust cover
    I recently purchased a used set of NHT VT2 speakers that sound incredible (at least compared to my old Infinity speakers). After listening for several days, I decided to remove the speaker grills to get a close look at the drivers. To my horror, one of the dust caps in the center of the cone was pushed in. I was able to pull it out somewhat using duct tape. There are still a few very small dents in the cover, and I'm curious if I should be concerned? Will or can this affect the performance of the speakers in any way?
  • 06-27-2004, 06:51 PM
    This Guy
    If its a woofer, it's fine and won't affect the sound. If its a midrange or tweeter, than you may have a problem.
  • 06-27-2004, 07:54 PM
    uncooked
    alot of people have luck using a vacuum. like the shop vac style ones with the wide diameter ends. plastic if best. the thin metal ones would scare me a bit.
  • 06-29-2004, 10:29 AM
    bkulish
    Thanks for the respose. It is a midrange driver that was pushed in. I did try the vacuum method, but without success. Maybe it's time to find a replacement driver.
  • 06-29-2004, 12:44 PM
    ronning
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkulish
    Thanks for the respose. It is a midrange driver that was pushed in. I did try the vacuum method, but without success. Maybe it's time to find a replacement driver.

try a toothpick with a **drop** of superglue on the tip. stick it to the dent, let it set a few minutes, then pull out slowly and carefully (too fast and it will just pop off). When you got it in the proper place, just pop off the toothpick.
  • 06-29-2004, 06:23 PM
    poneal
    LOL, nothing better than a partial toothpick sticking out of a midrange. High class! LOL
  • 07-01-2004, 10:34 AM
    bkulish
    Thanks for everyone's input. I found a similar thread that can referenced for additional information.

http://forums.audioreview.com/speakers/speaker-cone-repair-127.html