Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    dts geek Registered Member swwdts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    144

    Question Popcorn from my Powered subwoofer.....

    I have a 100watt powered subwoofer & when the setting are NOT on 80Hz & 60watts, the subwoofer sounds just like a bag of popcorn popping in a microwave.? Why ? Is it the cheap sub in it or is it the amp?

  2. #2
    Audiophile Wireworm5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Rupert's Land, Canada
    Posts
    496
    I first used my CV sub which I thought was good, I didn't know any better. Then when I moved my system to the basement this sub sounded boomy in this room. I didn't try to adjust the sub settings on receiver to address the problem. I just didn't know I could do this with my receiver. I went out and bought a CHT 10 Velodyne sub. I might have bought the Paradigm 2200 but the dealer didn't have it hooked up and failed to play it for me. Anyways I get this sub home and hook it up. Immediately it was obvious to me the CV sub was junk. This sub sounded clean and powerful in comparison and there was no boominess to the bass in my basement room. And this isn't even a TTL sub.
    I guess the lesson here is if its junk equipment it will sound like crap. You just may not know it.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by swwdts
    I have a 100watt powered subwoofer & when the setting are NOT on 80Hz & 60watts, the subwoofer sounds just like a bag of popcorn popping in a microwave.? Why ? Is it the cheap sub in it or is it the amp?

    pop-up sounds appears when u reach the limit of sub
    Pioneer VSX-AX3 Receiver
    Pioneer Dv-668 Dvd(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Infocus Screenplay 4805(AR Pro II Component)
    B&W 602 S3 Fronts(Monster THX)
    B&W CLR 60 Center
    B&W CDM-SNT Surr.
    Denon PMA-1500 MK II int. amp.
    Definitive Tech SuperCube II SW
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)
    Marantz CD5001(AR PRO II inter.)
    Marantz PM-17MKII M
    Kef IQ3(Ecosse Cs2.3 wire)
    H/K HD970(Ecosse Composer MKII inter.)

  4. #4
    dts geek Registered Member swwdts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    144
    Thanks for the info abulgan.

  5. #5
    Forum Regular Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    40

    Chv 10

    I bought a CHV 10 for movies on ebay for about $200. The seller put in in a big box packed with styrofoam peanuts. The peanuts would blow out of the port and then get sucked back in. Not a big fan of the sub but the cat sure liked playing with those damn peanuts.

  6. #6
    dts geek Registered Member swwdts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    144
    I have been told never to buy anything audio from ebay due to it maybe blown or been in a flood. P.S. I guess for a cat that would be fun.

  7. #7
    Sgt. At Arms Worf101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Troy, New York
    Posts
    4,250

    Bwah hah hah hah hah!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jrflanne
    I bought a CHV 10 for movies on ebay for about $200. The seller put in in a big box packed with styrofoam peanuts. The peanuts would blow out of the port and then get sucked back in. Not a big fan of the sub but the cat sure liked playing with those damn peanuts.
    Man I can just see some crazy cat pouncing on popcorn kernels as they scatter and scootch across the floor. LOL. What a great image. Wish you had video of that. Cat's are such funny creatures. Wish I could have one but I'm allergic. You're lucky, I know pets can drive you crazy but they can give so much love...

    Da Worfster

  8. #8
    Class of the clown GMichael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Anywhere but here...
    Posts
    13,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Man I can just see some crazy cat pouncing on popcorn kernels as they scatter and scootch across the floor. LOL. What a great image. Wish you had video of that. Cat's are such funny creatures. Wish I could have one but I'm allergic. You're lucky, I know pets can drive you crazy but they can give so much love...

    Da Worfster
    OK mister! Where is the real Worf and what have you done to him?
    Cat?
    Scootch?
    Love?
    Pouncing?

    These are words I would expect to hear/read from that softy Gmichael.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

  9. #9
    Suspended superpanavision70mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    803
    Wanna know something cool? I purchased my PSB Image 7PT's several months ago, which have a built in powered sub. They result is: AMAZING! The smoothest bass I've heard and the best part...no isolated subwoofer. However, I am now using my sub at a different frequency and I can adjust my towers to offset the bass, thus resulting in various bass frequences, which if you are a bass fan...it's ideal!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook