Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Peabody and New Speakers..

well last night I went to Peabodys to take a listen to the JBL 1400 Arreys in his system. Well they are a no go and I agree with Peabody....there is something missing. For 11K they where not totally satisfying... More about that later....but now I just got a call from Peabody...Looks like I may be going back over there...we are going to do a Canton and Revel speaker shoot out! Oh boy!!!! The Canton Ergo and Revel Performa F52

Looks like this new Dealer is really wanting to sell Peabody some speakers.....Oh, and he has the Zu sold!
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    well last night I went to Peabodys to take a listen to the JBL 1400 Arreys in his system. Well they are a no go and I agree with Peabody....there is something missing. For 11K they where not totally satisfying... More about that later....but now I just got a call from Peabody...Looks like I may be going back over there...we are going to do a Canton and Revel speaker shoot out! Oh boy!!!! The Canton Ergo and Revel Performa F52

Looks like this new Dealer is really wanting to sell Peabody some speakers.....Oh, and he has the Zu sold!
    My brothers, you really need to listen to some planars.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Hey Frenchie, that doesn't sound like a fair fight. The Performa F52 is more in line with the Canton Vento series I'd say. I had a feeling the JBL's would be a no go. Just a feeling.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Ajani
    I'll be interested to hear if the Performa F52 changes his mind about Revel... I'll also be eager to hear your thoughts on the Revel vs Canton...

Well guys its a no go for today...more like tomorrow.. And yeah Jack. The Ergos are like 3-4K, The Ventos 5K and the Revels are like 6.5K I believe. But those Cantons are very hard to beat in my opinion. You have to hear that tweeter....they are unbelievable. Even though Peabody and I heard the Canton Ergos and the Vento's the Ergos give the Ventos a run for its money and both Ergos and Vento beat the 1400 Arreys that go for 11.5K. in the upper ranges and pretty much matched it in its lower rages. The Arreys dont image really good with voices in my opinion, and made Peabodys tubes sound more like SS. I think they are better for classic rock but don't do as well with other types of music. But the do have a very good bass response but the upper response was lacking and kinda polite.

The dealer was also talking about bringing over some smaller Canton Reference as well....

The Reference - Handmade by CANTON | Reference 1.2 DC

I think it was the Canton Reference 5.2 DC.....that will be a treat if he does, He has to locate them so they may come a little later.... Cantons are truly three dimensional without being boring at all. Last time I heard the Revels that was about 5 years ago in Carolina. I do rebember a positive listening session with them.

Yeah Ajani...I cant wait....this will be fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Fellas....we had the shoot out...and the Revel F52 just kicked the Canton Ergos azz! To be fair the Ergos 902 DC where 6 years old and retailed for $2.4k and the Revel F52 are 5 years old and retailed for 6.5k

The Ergos where ear bleeders when we played a few tunes from Chicago....the horns from the band where ready to run me out of the room. While the 902's had a louder presentation than the Revel, they where more transparent and I thought revealed voices better and had a deeper bass than the Revels. That DC technology they do with the bass is wonderful. No one reveals more in the inner detail in the low to mid of the high frequencies than Canton, but the tweeters where just killing me. My Canton bookshelves dont do that at all.... But besides the defects in the Ergos....it was very much obvious they where just out class....thus the price. I would have loved to hear the Ventos which are more in the Revels price range.

The Revels just did every think perfect. Now let me say this one thing before I move on. In all my years of listening to speakers, and I have heard many big time speakers even the likes of Wilson and Ariel......I dont care who the name is on the front of the speaker or if you have a DIY speakers.....I have never heard a perfect speaker. And that goes for the Revel as well. The thing they lacked in my opinion was the strength of the Ergo's...I thought the inner detail of the higher frequencies where not as pronounced as I would have liked, and voices where not as transparent. But having said that..they where in no way bad either. Now I had heard these Revel speakers about 5-6 years ago when I lived in the audiophile rich city of Raleigh Durham North Carolina. When the dealer said he would bring a pair to Peabodys for a shoot out, I knew I had a previous positive listening session with them, but could not remember what they had sounded like.

But now......I can tell you this.....they are a perfect match with the Conrad Johnson gear. I have never heard the Conrad Johnson sound so good in my life. I can happily report to all those who wondered about whats going on with Peabody and all his speaker changes lately. He has had some bad mis-matches with the Dyns, which gave his system a sorta dark cloud in sound...like there was a thick veil over the sound and gave it a supper warm sound...or all the Klipsch speakers that never sounded rightly matched with no bass response..or the Zu that...well I dont know what they where doing in that system any ways. And the Arrays that had some things missing in the tweater and beaming with the voices, or the Ergos that where ear bleed and out classed.

The F52s are really audiophile and the CJ seem to know it. They Conrad was like...Hey lets dance to night! There was great synergy and great pace and musicality. They had a 1inch tweeter, a 4 inch mid range speaker and three 6 inch woofers. If any want to know more about the specs, you may find them on line. The speakers look much better in person than on line. Revel in my opinion look kinda hohum, or look like something from outer space. But I have never heard a Revel that I did not like. The F52 bass seems to hit all the lower notes very well. Even better than the Dynaudio Contour t2.5. It was tight with lots of control. It seemed to be very detailed and it had great pace....seemed to just boogie alone in its own world. Even the bass drums had their own space. tom toms had lots thump and snare lots of snap and you could tell that bongos where in the rhythm of the music. When listening to the band Chicago, and the horn section where playing....you could hear the blend of the horns in perfect harmony and they seem to have there own space. Instruments where not on top of each other but had their own space with .plenty of air around each instrument. Cymbals also had plenty of space, great hang time with absolutely outstanding decay. Once again, at this price point, this is an outstanding audiophile speakers. One of the strongest points of the speaker was the sense of the very dark or black back ground. This is a thing that is hard to explain but it was very black or dark. While the Ergos where more transparent they did not have as much a dark or black back ground. for me when you have a great dark or black back ground it also makes the sound as if you can hear front to back as well. Some people call it depth. It was like you could see into the sound stage. I must add the Ergos had a larger sound stage, but you did not get a sense of that depth. So as good as these speakers are...I would have loved to see how they would have matched up with a pair of Cantons in the same class. So the Revel F52's go for 6.5K and they boogie, and Peabody as I am very impressed. Looks like his Conrad Johnson may have a new play mate. So will Peabody.
    Last edited by frenchmon; 10-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Ajani
    Thanks for the update! Your impression of the Revels sounds just like what I'd expect: Revel can certainly be beaten by other speakers in various areas, but the overall package just works... Speaker X might be more detailed and speaker Y goes deeper, but Revels tend to do everything well and just have a nicely balanced sound IMO...

You guys need to find a pair of the $5kPSB Synchrony One's to audition or a pair of the $6K Salk HTR-3's which are one of the few speakers that I would consider buying over the Magnepan 3'6's.

New HT3's in crotch mahogany - SOLD

HT3 - home
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
    Thanks for the update! Your impression of the Revels sounds just like what I'd expect: Revel can certainly be beaten by other speakers in various areas, but the overall package just works... Speaker X might be more detailed and speaker Y goes deeper, but Revels tend to do everything well and just have a nicely balanced sound IMO...
    Ajani....I had heard these speakers years ago in Carolina paired with Marantz reference. These are great speakers and sound great. I've also listened to the Concerta line and they too, while being less expensive sound great as well. I think those who spend for speakers in the class of Monitor Audio Silver line or Paradigms Studio line or any speaker in the same price class should at least consider the less expensive Concerta line. But you never hear any body really talk about these speakers.

One thing I failed to mention is that it is very easy for this speaker to disappear. They are very much engaging and just grabs your attention. These are not back ground speakers at all and they wont let you use them as such....they will always give you a great interpretation of your favorite tunes. These speakers will get your attention and just sort take your mind off of anything around you. They will easily de-stress you after a long day of a stressful day at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    You guys need to find a pair of the $5kPSB Synchrony One's to audition or a pair of the $6K Salk HTR-3's which are one of the few speakers that I would consider buying over the Magnepan 3'6's.

New HT3's in crotch mahogany - SOLD

HT3 - home
    Whats the return policy of the Salks?

Ajani
    Ajani....I had heard these speakers years ago in Carolina paired with Marantz reference. These are great speakers and sound great. I've also listened to the Concerta line and they too, while being less expensive sound great as well. I think those who spend for speakers in the class of Monitor Audio Silver line or Paradigms Studio line or any speaker in the same price class should at least consider the less expensive Concerta line. But you never hear any body really talk about these speakers.

One thing I failed to mention is that it is very easy for this speaker to disappear. They are very much engaging and just grabs your attention. These are not back ground speakers at all and they wont let you use them as such....they will always give you a great interpretation of your favorite tunes. These speakers will get your attention and just sort take your mind off of anything around you. They will easily de-stress you after a long day of a stressful day at the office.

My favourite 'affordable' lines are the Revel Concerta and Monitor Audio Silver... I suspect many persons bypass the Concerta because of size (they are relatively large) and cosmetics (while not ugly, they certainly won't win any style awards); so basically very low WAF...

Ajani
    You should probably suggest that Peabody try out the Revels with his Krell, that should produce a very interesting sound as well...

Peabody is going to be the new owner of a set of 52's and the matching center channel and the center channel stand. The Krell has been long gone.

Thinking back....its funny how the Dyns and the Zu made Peabodys system sound thick with this supper warmer sound. The Revels nor the Cantons nor the JBL Arreys gave it that sound. I suspect the Dyns are more colored than I first thought.

Ajani
    Peabody is going to be the new owner of a set of 52's and the matching center channel and the center channel stand.
    Cool... Nice to see a forum member catch the Revel fever...

The Krell has been long gone.
    Hmmm... I thought he had Krell lying around in a 2nd system...

Thinking back....its funny how the Dyns and the Zu made Peabodys system sound thick with this supper warmer sound. The Revels nor the Cantons nor the JBL Arreys gave it that sound. I suspect the Dyns are more colored than I first thought.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Peabody is going to be the new owner of a set of 52's and the matching center channel and the center channel stand. The Krell has been long gone.

Maybe this is what Peabody's system needed. The CJ I suspect is a very warm sounding amp and the Dyns are on the warm side of neutral. Now we'll see how a metal tweeter sounds mated with the CJ. Hopefully this is the right combo for him. I've had speakers with metal tweeters and they always bothered me during extended listening periods. Now I will admit that they were being driven by SS gear.

Frenchie, I've read a lot of reviews on Dynaudio speakers and I can't say that I ever heard the reviewers refer to them as colored. Now most of your reviewers have three or four amps around to try out so they can find a good sonic match. Plus they have the experience of years of doing this kind of stuff and they could tell you that they would never mate the CJ with the Dyns for what ever reason. I hope that Peabody can get online and tell us his feelings and thoughts on this major move in his system.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

I really would not say that the Dynaudio's are colored I think it is a matter that the Revels match the CJ gears sound character better than the Dynaudio's. If it would have been a different front end driving them it might have been a different result. The CJ's sound signature is what it is and I know it is excellent stuff but it also might be tailored to speakers like the Revel better than the Dynaudio. I have heard many systems and sometimes a speaker will work with some gear and sometimes there are better options for that particular equipment. If he was running Krell or something else the outcome might have been different with any given speaker there but in Peabody's case the CJ and Revel were just a better match which is good for him to finally find something that goes with his CJ stuff the way he wants it to.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Jack and Harley...when I say colored...what I mean is warmth. The warmer a speaker is, the more color it can be considered to be. IF a speaker is really ear bleed as the Ergos where its considered bright. At least thats how I understand color and warm. The Dyns added a lot more warmer sound than I first thought.

Forum Regular
    You guys need to cultivate friendships with DIY speaker builders in your area. I bet there's a DIY Audio fest in your area just as there are in many large cities. DIY Atlanta is an epiphany for non-believers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Maybe this is what Peabody's system needed. The CJ I suspect is a very warm sounding amp and the Dyns are on the warm side of neutral. Now we'll see how a metal tweeter sounds mated with the CJ. Hopefully this is the right combo for him. I've had speakers with metal tweeters and they always bothered me during extended listening periods. Now I will admit that they were being driven by SS gear.

Frenchie, I've read a lot of reviews on Dynaudio speakers and I can't say that I ever heard the reviewers refer to them as colored. Now most of your reviewers have three or four amps around to try out so they can find a good sonic match. Plus they have the experience of years of doing this kind of stuff and they could tell you that they would never mate the CJ with the Dyns for what ever reason. I hope that Peabody can get online and tell us his feelings and thoughts on this major move in his system.
    jack that is what got me thinking the Dyns where warmer than I first thought. While my Vincent did bring out the tweeter and mids on the Dyns...it was not as warm but still warm with the Dyns. When I heard the Dyns with the CJ it was really warm or like I say really colored. Now with the CJ gear and the JBL 1400 Arreys the CJ almost sounded like SS gear. Especially with rock music. Now with the Revel 52's the sound is not as warm...infact you still get that tube sound or distortion, but its almost like a SS sound as well with the greater attack... at least to my ears. Its a match made in heaven I would say.

Though I don't think the sound is as forward or lively in the upper ranges like Cantons nor does it disperse sound like Canton, the Revel has a blacker back ground than the Ergos and had depth!
    I suspect that any speaker in that price class should give that to you, but I dont remember the 11.5k JBL's giving that to you. Those Revel speakers are really a good speaker. Peabody said he would have loved to listen to the Canton Reference series of speakers, but why bother with having the dealer bring those over seeing he really likes what the Revel and Conrad Johnson pairing is doing...and I agree with him...those Revels are out standing.

I cant wait to go back over before Peabody has to give the demo's back....It may be a while before he gets his new set in. What I heard from the CJ and the Revel together was truly a high end sound that I assume has been lacking in his system from the time he got the CJ gear in place. Peabody really does have bragging rights now....Harley I hope you can come down and take a listen soon. His system in my opinion is off the chain.

When that CT6 first came out it was marketed as giving you the best of both worlds. I thought that was a joke with that preamp. But now that is actually sounding like it, I believe it was due to not having the right speaker. It did not sound like that before...at least to my ears.

Its amazing how the right speaker can take your system to a different level.....My last purchase will have to be some reference speakers as well....system matching is all that important.

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    You guys need to cultivate friendships with DIY speaker builders in your area. I bet there's a DIY Audio fest in your area just as there are in many large cities. DIY Atlanta is an epiphany for non-believers.
    When I first moved to STL at the later part of 2008, I was in a used record store and struck up a conversation with this guy in his early 60's. He was an audiophile. later in the conversation he asked me if I would be interested in coming to an audio meet where the local audiophiles...the "Gateway audio society" bring all their gear and talk audio and listen. I said yes I would love to come. So then he went on talking and started telling me how the majority of these guys bring their DIY speakers and amps...thats all it took to intimidate me. I never made it to that audio meet....I could not build anything but a turkey sandwich.

Ajani....I heard these speakers years ago in Carolina paired with Marantz reference. These are great speakers and sound great. I've also listened to the Concerta line and they too, while being less expensive sound great as well. I think those who spend for speakers in the class of Monitor Audio Silver line or Paradigms Studio line or any speaker in the same price class should at least consider the less expensive Concerta line. But you never hear any body really talk about these speakers.
    Glad to hear another Revel owner will appear on the boards...French, I auditioned the same pair/same source/same place in Raleigh as you did a few years back.
    Since that day, I definitely thought the F52 sounded better than the now-older Ultima Line.
    Until the new Ultima2 line appeared, the F52 were the best speaker Revel produced. It totally blows away my F30s in almost every category.

I also agree with your Concerta line statement. My co-worker and I demoed a ton of speakers in that price range the Concertas were fantastic and an absolute steal at that price point. He eventually went with a pair of Paradigm Studio 10s because of looks.

No question, the F52 need to be heard by any audiophile. They may not be the perfect speaker, but they are damn close.

The former Raleigh Revel dealer always claimed Theta Dreadnaught amps were a perfect pair for the F52.

I will want to come up at some point and hear them at Peabody's home. I talked with him through email last night and he said himself that the Revels seemed to have better synergy with his CJ stuff than the Dynaudio's and that it was not that the Dyn's were worse in any way just did not suit his CJ gear as well. He did mention that he wishes he had more power to run the Revels though since they seem to be less efficient than his gear likes for louder passages but overall he is happy. I would bet he is having a harder time running them with all of those drivers and the crossover that must be in them. But they look good though and I will let me be my own opinion when I hear them at some point when I can come up there.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Let me say that again. I will let my ears be my tester and opinion when I can make it up to Peabody's house at some point. Damn this school stuff is taking all of my brain power and I seem to forget everything else. I think I need a 6 pack of the suds and a day to myself.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

he said himself that the Revels seemed to have better synergy with his CJ stuff than the Dynaudio's and that it was not that the Dyn's were worse in any way just did not suit his CJ gear as well.
    That makes them worse in my opinion.....they surely where not better...if so Peabody would not have changed. But whatever, I wont go down this road any more.

Ajani
    That makes them worse in my opinion.....they surely where not better...if so Peabody would not have changed. But whatever, I wont go down this road any more.
    Moving (slowly) from Krell and Dynaudio to Conrad Johnson and Revel should be different... But if it's not better, then that's a hell of a lot of money spent just for 'different'....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information