AR Newbie Registered Member

Question subwoofer on/off question

Hi!

I just bought and installed my first HT system.

I am noticing that my subwoofer only kicks in when the volume is turned up to a certain level. I guess this is normal, but I find that somewhat annoying because I would like to hear the low frequency effects at a reasonable (lower) volume level.

Setup :
    - single RCA cable from the receiver pre out to the sub’s mono input
    - crossover frequency button on the sub is all the way up
    - crossover frequency on receiver set at 100 Hz

Is there a way to have the sub work permanently, i.e. at low volume? Would a better quality cable increase the sub’s sensitivity (my cable is somewhat cheap? Would using a Y cable to connect the sub make a difference?

Thanks in advance

First, see if there's any way to increase the signal to the subwoofer on the receiver. Check your owner's manual or their customer support for this

A "Y" connector MIGHT boost the signal to the subwoofer but no promises. These cost mebbe $3 - 4 @ RatShack and should provide a cheap answer and possible solution. The cable should be fine.

If none of these solve the problem, I'd say there is a problem with the subwoofer. Pack it up and exchange it.

***** Lurker
    There is nothing wrong with your sub - just your expectations. Subwoofers detect low frequency information within a certain spectrum and automatically come on. No Low Frequency Info detected - not on. Has nothing to do with the volume level.

Forum Regular
    are you using a sub/sat system ? it maybe the way you hooked it up, if not it could be your cross over setting. When I had my sub sat, and watched tv some time the sub didn't kick in but if you dont have a sat system play with the xover

Quote Originally Posted by Hairsonfire
    There is nothing wrong with your sub - just your expectations. Subwoofers detect low frequency information within a certain spectrum and automatically come on. No Low Frequency Info detected - not on. Has nothing to do with the volume level.

What I am experiencing here with my setup seems to contradict what you are saying. It *does* have something to do with the volume level, at least in my setup. When I play Lord of the Rings’ The Two Towers, I get no LFE at all if the volume is not above a certain level.

Kursun
    Quote Originally Posted by poet726
    What I am experiencing here with my setup seems to contradict what you are saying. It *does* have something to do with the volume level, at least in my setup. When I play Lord of the Rings’ The Two Towers, I get no LFE at all if the volume is not above a certain level.
    It's probable that your sub has an auto-on feature and the signal sensing circuits do not get enough signal.

Try increasing the input sensitivity of the sub.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    First, see if there's any way to increase the signal to the subwoofer on the receiver. Check your owner's manual or their customer support for this

A "Y" connector MIGHT boost the signal to the subwoofer but no promises. These cost mebbe $3 - 4 @ RatShack and should provide a cheap answer and possible solution. The cable should be fine.

If none of these solve the problem, I'd say there is a problem with the subwoofer. Pack it up and exchange it.
    Agreed.

I'd be amazed if your receiver DIDN'T have a subwoofer level control. Turn it up. Your subwoofer is probably not getting a "loud" enough signal to kick it on. If it then overpowers you with bass turn the volume on the subwoofer down, not the receiver level control.

Pete
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

Yes, the receiver (it’s an Onkyo TX-SR501) has an independant level control for each channel, including the subwoofer. I will try that as soon as I receive the replacement remote control. It seems that the channel audio adjust is only possible from the remote.

In the meantime, I went and bought a good quality Y cable (I only had a cheap single mono RCA cable). It actually does make a big difference.

Thanks to all for your input

François

Forum Regular

That's good

that your problem is solved now but I just thought i'd post another comment. Most subwoofer with the auto-on feature can be bypassed. It might have three options like this: On-Off-Auto. If it's on "On" mode, it will always be on no matter what. "Off" Means the sub never comes on. "Auto" Would switch the sub on with detection of signal. I'm not sure what type of sub you have to it might not have this type of switch.

Thread Information