Forum Regular

for old Marantz 2220B

What currently-available speakers (under $250 each) would you recommend for an old Marantz 2220B receiver? THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by normandydude
    What currently-available speakers (under $250 each) would you recommend for an old Marantz 2220B receiver? THANKS
    Well I looked up the specs on your receiver and it looks like it is around 20 watts per channel. Since you did not talk about any size requirments for these speakers I myself would probably stay with a bookshelf sized speaker sense they tend to require less power to run especially at this price point. I am not sure of your musical tastes or how loud you listen to your system but 20 watts can be enough for some people and there are speakers out there that will run to normal listening levels of this kind of power. There are lots of good speakers available used and new at this price point but I would look closely at their sensitivity ratings and stay with speakers that are at least in the mid 90's in there sensitivity ratings or you might run into problems with amplifier clipping and distortion from the amplifier trying to run the speakers to your required level. Klipsch speakers are known for their high sensitivity and some people do like them. Myself I would go out to your local quality audio store and listen to different models to find out what you like in that price range but make sure to tell the person helping you what amp you will be running so you will be listening to models it can handle. Once you find out what you like you can hit the used market or the internet and try to find the best deal for what you want.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

This will depend on what you like, but I would suggest listening to a pair of the Chorus series by Focal/JM Lab. There's a new pair of the 806V on Audiogon for $550. Nice refined speakers and fairly efficient.

Forum Regular

...and...attaching an iPod to the Marantz?

Thanks for those suggestions. Any others? Maybe speakers I can buy new for less money? I like a deep bass sound, but don't want to lose any high end crispness. Sorry to sound like such a flake, but I'm not at all what you'd call an "audiophile." I just like listening to all different sorts of music, from classical to jazz to heavy metal!

ANOTHER QUESTION: Can I connect an iPod to the Marantz 2220B using phono jacks? What should I buy to do that?

I VERY VERY MUCH APPRECIATE your comments and help!

When it comes to good highs and deep bass, you might not want to try to get both out of the same speakers. I use an 8-inch Velodyne sub to support the bass in my primary 2-channel system and I keep it turned down so you wouldn't notice it's the sub. I also keep it cut off low, so it doesn't play the more directional frequencies...again, so as not to give away that it's the sub. I'm not really a fan of spending a lot of money on the sub for this purpose...I got mine for around a hundred bucks in a pawn shop.

As for new speakers, you could look at the JBL, Polk and Infinity speakers at the big box retail stores or maybe the Paradigm Atom (assuming you get a sub) at the audio dealers. JBL, Polk and Infinity stuff is mostly not really hi-fi, but it sounds pretty good to most people. You could see some good examples with prices at the Harman International website.

There's a special cable for adapting iPod to RCA jacks. Should be under $10 and will work on your receiver.

Forum Regular

choices! PLEASE VOTE!

Please answer both questions! THANKS!

A. On a scale of 1 to 10: How much of an audiophile are you? (1 -- you're like me: you like music but you know nothing about technology today; 10 -- you're a professional sound engineer)

B. WHICH SPEAKERS WOULD YOU BUY TO GO WITH A 35-YEAR OLD MARANTZ 2220B RECEIVER? I've narrowed it down to these, but am willing to consider other models:

Kliptch B-3
    JBL L830
    JBL ES30
    BOSTON ACOUSTICS C26

And again: THANKS YOU ALL!

So, those are your final choices?

From the choices you present, given my druthers, I'd be looking back to some JBL's from the same era as your receiver, say L-26's or so.

and no, you won;t like the result if you plug your ipod into the phono input. Try a high level input, say an "aux" or "tape in" input.

And I'm not an audiophile. I'm only a hobbiest who knows what he likes. Then again, I built my first tube amp as a teenager back in '63 after having repaired some radios and TV's as a hobby before that.

I'm no expert, but I thought audiophiles listen to better speakers than sound engineers. In any case, I've been a Marantz since the days of your receiver and I do still have one. At one time, I had a Marantz 1040, which would have been very similar amplification to your 2220B. My only current Marantz receiver or amp is a 2325.

I've been a JBL fan for quite a while, too, so I would have been very interested in the L830 when they came around, except I already had two pairs of S38. That said, I would choose the Klipsch B-3 from this group because of its efficiency. I also like the horn speaker fairly well. It seems to be decent with vocals.

I like markw's idea on the JBL's from the same era as your receiver and I also know from personal experience that even some very decent JBL speakers do not produce the clarity and detail that the speakers from the high-end manufacturers do. That's why I mentioned Focal and Paradigm.

Quote Originally Posted by normandydude
    I'd go with TAS' recommendation in this category: PSB Alpha B1.

That's is, if you're buying new; if you're shopping used it's a different game of course.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Not sure why you are limiting yourself to something new. Older speakers from the same era are pretty efficient and in a sense designed to be powered on the lower wpc of the day. Check out your local thrifts and CL and you might see some vintage speakers well within your price range. Early Advents, KLH's, Dynaco's or AR's would all fit the bill.

Forum Regular
    Try & look for some HH Scott speakers from the late 80's Im running 4 way 6 driver HH Scott Speakers with a Kenwood KR-4070 that is 40 wpc. The speakers have 15" Woofers. My speakers are anywhere from 10 all the way up to 150 watts RMS.

Forum Regular
    These are the well received Tritrix. For $200 a pair you can't go wrong and you'll have enough $$$ left over to buy a higher output amp if you play your music loud. Read the reviews and watch the easy video assembly. This is the best deal in audio right now.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-702

Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp