Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Hey SVI, on a scale of 1 to 10, how helpful was this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey SVI, on a scale of 1 to 10, how helpful was this thread?
    Dunno about anyone else but it looks like a load of number 2 to me.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Ok now you guys are getting silly but since I guess I already made me choice and got the Sonys theres really no need to post anymore on this topic until in the future when I want different speakers then I can ask you guys again for help. Also that is if I find something I like more than the JBLs or the Sonys I have. But as I said I will audition many speakers and then I might find something I like more than the Sonys I have. But this all depends if I like something better than the Sonys since as you guys said that what matters most is the sound I like to hear and enjoy.
    That's the right attitude!!!! Audition as many other speakers as you can... so that next time you start a thread, you can talk about your experience rather than just specs...

Yes, you might end up still liking Sony, JBL or Bose... but at least then you can defend your choice based on what sounds best to you....

As I've said before in this thread: I have a pair of $400 Active Monitors. And I prefer them over any entry level Monitor/Amp combo I've heard... So I can see why you might end up liking active speakers (despite many people thinking of them as just computer speakers)... but the difference between you and I (well, one of many differences), is that I have auditioned many different respected speakers and amps before coming to my conclusion (including PSB, NAD, B&W, Rotel, Monitor Audio, Mission, Cambridge Audio etc)... You need to audition as many of those combos as you can and then you'll be in a position to really determine whether Sony, JBL or Bose are good value for your money.

I'd also suggest that you check out some pro audio stores... IMO, Proper Active Monitors (not crappy computer speakers) are the best way to get good sound cheaply... And the Pro Audio Side pretty much rules the Active Monitor market...

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar
    Well to tell you the truth you guys didn't really 100% gave me a straight answer about the speakers I was interested in and then it seems like you guys don't know much about the JBLs I like but I remember you guys did say the JBL E20 or the Monitor from Venue Series are good. That's of cource if I had kept the stereo receiver and then get a pair of speakers but since I did return the Sherwood receiver to Radio Shack I don't need the JBL speakers anymore. What made me decide to get the Sony is the fact that I remember when I had them they sounded the best out of all of the speakers I owned. Also I liked the fact that they are compact and small but have tons for low end compaird to most speakers that have the same size drivers. I mean like the M-Audio AV-20 which is about the same size as the Sonys I got doesn't even come close to the sound of the Sony SRS-ZX1 speakers since the bass is ALOT more lower then the M-Audio AV-20 speakers. Also the body of the speakers are made of aluminum and the speakers look cool. I just wonder how they can make such a small speaker that can make alot of bass like the Sony SRS-ZX1 or the Bose MusicMonitor but I guess for Bose it might be the tube or something that makes them low but for the Sonys I do see they have a very long tube but there must be something else that makes these speakers have alot of bass for there size. I guess what you pay is what you get.

One more thing when I reasearched about speakers and saw an ad for the Bose speakers I did see the Bose MusicMonitor and I thought WOO they were $400 pair and I must say they must sound amazing for the size since I noticed that they are very compact and small. But of cource I knew I would never be able to afford such a expensive speakers like that. Then I cam across to a Apple store where I live and happen to see the Sony speakers and I say the price was the same as Bose so I was really interested in it and played some of my music and let me tell you I was totaly shocked about the sound coming out of these I mean they had ALOT of bass I thought it had a hidden subwoofer somewere but there isn't one. One of my best friend was nice enough and got me these Sonys at the Apple store for $400 with tax of cource and I was supprised so I got home and listen to them and I enjoyed them but then here's the part I made a mistake I thought that they didn't sound as good as I thought it did so I sold them on Craigslist and could only get them sold for $40. Then after that I listen to other kinds of speakers and they just didn't have the great sound as the Sonys did and I felt really upset that I sold them. a year later I happen to be able to talk to the buyer who got these speakers for $40 from me and I asked if I can buy them back but he said he already sold them and doesn't have them anymore so I was really sad. Also I knew that my best friend now has been broke so he can't afford them even if he wants to since he did say I would buy them again but I' am totaly broke. Later in the year I noticed that the Apple store didn't carry the Sonys anymore but they had for the first time the Bose MusicMonitor and I was like WOO now finaly I can give those a try and I did listen to them and they did sound really close to the Sonys meaning both had very good low end bass. So since I knew that I would probley not find a better deal than $400 for the Bose so I had been looking online for the Sonys instead since they both pretty much sound the same.

So I had to save up and original I was planning to get a receiver and a pair of speakers that I like the most like the JBL and then I did get the Sherwood RX-4109 stereo receiver and a pair of the JBL N24 first then I sold the N24 and got the N26. But then I was supprised that I found the Sony speakers for $187 and with UPS ground shipping it costs $197. So I sold the N26 and returned the receiver back to the store. I found out that this was a special order so I went ahead and deided to get a 3 day shipping instead of 5 days since if I kept it as 5 days it would of been 2 weeks from now when I get them. It did cost $216.80 instead of $197.70. They will get the speakers the coming tuesday and ship them to me the same day. So I should be getting them next friday.

All I can say this time I won't sell them anymore since I liked these the best and hopfuly that will last a long time. But of cource in the mean time I will be listening to many kinds of speakers and see what I think about them.
    Dallas's Forums

MORE THAN JUST DINOSAURS!!!

Ajani
    Well to tell you the truth you guys didn't really 100% gave me a straight answer about the speakers I was interested in and then it seems like you guys don't know much about the JBLs I like but I remember you guys did say the JBL E20 or the Monitor from Venue Series are good. That's of cource if I had kept the stereo receiver and then get a pair of speakers but since I did return the Sherwood receiver to Radio Shack I don't need the JBL speakers anymore. What made me decide to get the Sony is the fact that I remember when I had them they sounded the best out of all of the speakers I owned. Also I liked the fact that they are compact and small but have tons for low end compaird to most speakers that have the same size drivers. I mean like the M-Audio AV-20 which is about the same size as the Sonys I got doesn't even come close to the sound of the Sony SRS-ZX1 speakers since the bass is ALOT more lower then the M-Audio AV-20 speakers. Also the body of the speakers are made of aluminum and the speakers look cool. I just wonder how they can make such a small speaker that can make alot of bass like the Sony SRS-ZX1 or the Bose MusicMonitor but I guess for Bose it might be the tube or something that makes them low but for the Sonys I do see they have a very long tube but there must be something else that makes these speakers have alot of bass for there size. I guess what you pay is what you get.

One more thing when I reasearched about speakers and saw an ad for the Bose speakers I did see the Bose MusicMonitor and I thought WOO they were $400 pair and I must say they must sound amazing for the size since I noticed that they are very compact and small. But of cource I knew I would never be able to afford such a expensive speakers like that. Then I cam across to a Apple store where I live and happen to see the Sony speakers and I say the price was the same as Bose so I was really interested in it and played some of my music and let me tell you I was totaly shocked about the sound coming out of these I mean they had ALOT of bass I thought it had a hidden subwoofer somewere but there isn't one. One of my best friend was nice enough and got me these Sonys at the Apple store for $400 with tax of cource and I was supprised so I got home and listen to them and I enjoyed them but then here's the part I made a mistake I thought that they didn't sound as good as I thought it did so I sold them on Craigslist and could only get them sold for $40. Then after that I listen to other kinds of speakers and they just didn't have the great sound as the Sonys did and I felt really upset that I sold them. a year later I happen to be able to talk to the buyer who got these speakers for $40 from me and I asked if I can buy them back but he said he already sold them and doesn't have them anymore so I was really sad. Also I knew that my best friend now has been broke so he can't afford them even if he wants to since he did say I would buy them again but I' am totaly broke. Later in the year I noticed that the Apple store didn't carry the Sonys anymore but they had for the first time the Bose MusicMonitor and I was like WOO now finaly I can give those a try and I did listen to them and they did sound really close to the Sonys meaning both had very good low end bass. So since I knew that I would probley not find a better deal than $400 for the Bose so I had been looking online for the Sonys instead since they both pretty much sound the same.

So I had to save up and original I was planning to get a receiver and a pair of speakers that I like the most like the JBL and then I did get the Sherwood RX-4109 stereo receiver and a pair of the JBL N24 first then I sold the N24 and got the N26. But then I was supprised that I found the Sony speakers for $187 and with UPS ground shipping it costs $197. So I sold the N26 and returned the receiver back to the store. I found out that this was a special order so I went ahead and deided to get a 3 day shipping instead of 5 days since if I kept it as 5 days it would of been 2 weeks from now when I get them. It did cost $216.80 instead of $197.70. They will get the speakers the coming tuesday and ship them to me the same day. So I should be getting them next friday.

All I can say this time I won't sell them anymore since I liked these the best and hopfuly that will last a long time. But of cource in the mean time I will be listening to many kinds of speakers and see what I think about them.
    So what I get from this post and one of your previous ones, is that you've auditioned M-Audio and Energy but you prefer Sony, JBL and Bose because they had more bass...

Maybe you should be looking at either floorstanders or getting a subwoofer... Trying to get deep bass out of a tiny monitor is always going to be a challenge... (especially since you auditioned speakers like the M-Audio AV20 with its 2 inch mid/bass driver)...

Well the bass was the most impressive part but overall sound was amazing too for it's size. Ya originaly I wanted the Bose MusicMonitor since they are soo compact and have full sound coming out of them. Well at first I didn't know how they sound but I just knew they would sound great since something that small and costs $400. But eather way I' am glad I found the Sonys that sound really close to the Bose but costed half the price of Bose.
    Dallas's Forums

I know if I got floorstading speakers or subwoofer it will make tons of real low end bass but the reason why I get the Sony SRS-ZX1 instead is since I really beleve that this is soo amazing that such a small speaker can make soo much low end. I mean if I had just a paid of small speakers and a subwoofer that isn't really that special since it's like of cource it will make alot of bass since it's a big sub. But having bass coming out of a small speaker is amazing tech. My goal is not really to get the deepest bass out of any kind of big subwoofer but to get something that is soo small but is capable to making very low bass like the MusicMonitor or the SRS-ZX1. To me these small speakers are high tech and is like the future of speakers.

If you guys thought my goal was to get the fullest response sounds out of any speakers then that is not correct since what I wanted is to get the most sound out of very compact speakers. Yes I know that will be hard since it is hard to make small speakers to have real bass but the Sonys or the Bose are the best to make those low ends without needing huge speakers or a subwoofer.
    Dallas's Forums

I know if I got floorstading speakers or subwoofer it will make tons of real low end bass but the reason why I get the Sony SRS-ZX1 instead is since I really beleve that this is soo amazing that such a small speaker can make soo much low end. I mean if I had just a paid of small speakers and a subwoofer that isn't really that special since it's like of cource it will make alot of bass since it's a big sub. But having bass coming out of a small speaker is amazing tech. My goal is not really to get the deepest bass out of any kind of big subwoofer but to get something that is soo small but is capable to making very low bass like the MusicMonitor or the SRS-ZX1. To me these small speakers are high tech and is like the future of speakers.

If you guys thought my goal was to get the fullest response sounds out of any speakers then that is not correct since what I wanted is to get the most sound out of very compact speakers. Yes I know that will be hard since it is hard to make small speakers to have real bass but the Sonys or the Bose are the best to make those low ends without needing huge speakers or a subwoofer.
    Dude, you sound like a good candidate for headphones.

Several things before bowing out for good.

1) Small speakers may produce good bass "for their size" but compared to "real" speakers they will never produce real, satisfying bass. Since you've tried them all and you traded them all out because none of them satisfied you, perhaps it's time faced up to the fact that you need a bigger speaker.

Trying to find a small speaker that satisfies your appetite for bass is, like participating in one of your threads, an exercise in mental masturbation.

2) Since all your posts over the last five years seem to be focused on the bass these tiny speakers (don't) produce, you might want to re-read number one again. ...and again. ...and again.

3) Since you seen disappointed that nobody here was able to listen to and compare all the speakers on your list and offer you a detailed report, perhaps this isn't the site for you. Maybe another site would better meet your needs.

It may be time to move on.
    Last edited by markw; 11-13-2009 at 05:33 AM.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    1) Small speakers may produce good bass "for their size" but compared to "real" speakers they will never produce real, satisfying bass. Since you've tried them all and you traded them all out because none of them satisfied you, perhaps it's time faced up to the fact that you need a bigger speaker.

Trying to find a small speaker that satisfies your appetite for bass is, like participating in one of your threads, an exercise in mental masturbation.

2) Since all your posts over the last five years seem to be focused on the bass these tiny speakers (don't) produce, you might want to re-read number one again. ...and again. ...and again.

3) Since you seen disappointed that nobody here was able to listen to and compare all the speakers on your list and offer you a detailed report, perhaps this isn't the site for you. Maybe another site would better meet your needs.

It may be time to move on.
    SVI, I have to agree with Markw on this one... Trying to find good bass from ultra tiny speakers is a joke... maybe sometime in the distant future there will be many tiny speakers that sound like massive Floorstanders, but that is not the case today. Ultra tiny speakers today really just look cute and usually sound bad (compared to similarly priced normal sized speakers)... The Sony and Bose Speakers you keep comparing were rated 2.5 and 3 out of 5 stars by PC World... They were both felt to be disappointing sonically for the money... I have not heard either of them, but they both cost $400 and I'd be willing to bet that my M-Audio BX5a (also $400) sound far far far superior to them... The reason being that the M-Audio speakers are focused on producing the best sound for the price, whereas the Sony and Bose are aiming to be as small as possible.

Audiophiles generally either look to acquire the absolute best sound they can afford OR the best value for their money sonically... Trying to find the tiniest speakers with impressive bass (for their size) is not a goal that audiophiles have, and is the reason why we have been unable to help you... So just as you would not audition my M-Audio Speakers because they are not ultra-tiny, I would not go to a store to audition your Bose or Sony as my focus is on best sound for the money and not on ultra tiny size...

So if you really insist on discussing those type of speakers, you might seriously want to look for a site where you can find people who share your interest...

Ha, it's funny, the new speakers I picked up are bookshelf. They are on the big side for a bookshelf, but man oh man, the sound is awesome. Nice smooth tone, and the low end is great. Check the speaker section SVI.

Forum Regular

Well, I'm still trying to figure out...

...if SVI is for real... hee hee.

On one hand, if it's NOT legit, someone is going through an awful lotta work for very little payoff...

On the other, if it IS for real... no, no... can't be...

One of life's unsolved mysteries, I suppose... :^)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information