Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Speaker Requirements

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post

So potentially the speakers are 16 years old? If you did not hear that model before when new how would you know if the speaker was still performing to spec?
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    Music Direct offers a 30 day trial. I would check to be sure if that is true with close out models. Hearing them in your room first would be good.
    Excellent. I am really leaning towards the Focal 705v or 706v at this point. After seeing the cost to get a wooden book case with doors to fill in that gap it might be easier just to stick with the original plan to use a front ported or no ported speaker. I have to go locate the AC outlets in that room too before I commit to anything. Will do that this weekend.

Do you know if Music Direct has a showroom which would allow me to go in to pick them up and buy them? I live about 3 hours from Chicago right now.

Forum Regular
    I have to admit I don't know if I want to buy speakers that are 16 years old regardless of how good they sound or their condition. I seem to recall that older speakers often times can have their sound change (as JM has pointed out) and worse, start to see physical deterioration of the cones, especially the woofer and also the foam inside the box. I don't think I would even consider buying anything over 8 to 10 years old at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Billiam62 View Post
    Excellent. I am really leaning towards the Focal 705v or 706v at this point. After seeing the cost to get a wooden book case with doors to fill in that gap it might be easier just to stick with the original plan to use a front ported or no ported speaker. I have to go locate the AC outlets in that room too before I commit to anything. Will do that this weekend.

Do you know if Music Direct has a showroom which would allow me to go in to pick them up and buy them? I live about 3 hours from Chicago right now.
    Yes they have a showroom. I was invited to visit when I was in Chicago. Sadly I was a distance from them. Nice folks to deal with and they take good care of their customers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I have to admit I don't know if I want to buy speakers that are 16 years old regardless of how good they sound or their condition. I seem to recall that older speakers often times can have their sound change (as JM has pointed out) and worse, start to see physical deterioration of the cones, especially the woofer and also the foam inside the box. I don't think I would even consider buying anything over 8 to 10 years old at this point.
    Materials do deteriorate. Spiders and suspensions can age. Crossover components values can change. Adhesives can weaken and who wants to receive a speaker where the magnet has separated from the woofer. Worst case scenario but things that can happen with older speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Just curious. I noticed a local store has the Infinity Primus bookshelves on sale. I used to believe Infinity speakers are bright but some reviews of these seemed to indicate the entire Primus line is warm sounding.

Are these speakers any good if they are discounted from the regular price? Will they even be in the same ball park as the Focal 705v?

Just curious. I noticed a local store has the Infinity Primus bookshelves on sale. I used to believe Infinity speakers are bright but some reviews of these seemed to indicate the entire Primus line is warm sounding.

Are these speakers any good if they are discounted from the regular price? Will they even be in the same ball park as the Focal 705v?
    This is purely speculation on my part but owning a speaker with a metal coned mid/woofer and woofer you will not have the midrange warmth of the Focal's.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

I bought a pair of the Primus 160's for my daughter. They are good for a cheap budget system or HT but if you are wanting quality sound, look elsewhere. It is the only speaker that I have when hooked to my reference system where the sound only mildly improved. I would rather have a pair of the well regarded cheap Pioneer bookshelfs.

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

Go with the Focal's or the Monitor Audio's and be done with it. Music Direct and Audio Advisor have 30 day return policy's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I was just curious. I recall hearing Infinity in the 80's and thought they sounded too much like Klipsch speakers. Most likely it will be the Focal or possibly the MA's.

Infinity use to make great speakers in the 70's and early 80's. Eventually the Harmon group bought them and now they make low end speakers.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Infinity use to make great speakers in the 70's and early 80's. Eventually the Harmon group bought them and now they make low end speakers.
    Never heard of Harmon. I recall hearing Infinity speakers in the late 80's and they reminded me of Klipsch at least where the sound of their high end was concerned. On that subject. I wonder if Klipsch will now run Jamo into the ground or turn them into a second rate speaker company. They wiped out Mirage which made excellent speakers until a decade ago or about the time Klipsch bought them.

Probably the only way I won't buy either the Focal or MA speakers is if I can find a cost effective way to put a large book case with wooden doors into the recessed area of the living room. If I do that, then I will look at rear ported speakers again since I have some great options available including Jamo's Concert series speakers or Dali Zensor 1's at reasonable prices.

Never heard of Harmon. I recall hearing Infinity speakers in the late 80's and they reminded me of Klipsch at least where the sound of their high end was concerned. On that subject. I wonder if Klipsch will now run Jamo into the ground or turn them into a second rate speaker company. They wiped out Mirage which made excellent speakers until a decade ago or about the time Klipsch bought them.

Probably the only way I won't buy either the Focal or MA speakers is if I can find a cost effective way to put a large book case with wooden doors into the recessed area of the living room. If I do that, then I will look at rear ported speakers again since I have some great options available including Jamo's Concert series speakers or Dali Zensor 1's at reasonable prices.

If you want a great rear ported speaker check out the JBL Studio 530's. As far as Harman Int. they are the parent company of Revel, Infinity, JBL, Harman Kardon, Mark levinson and AKG.

The MA's will not give you the midrange warmth that the Focal's will.

The Studio 530's are currently on sale through JBL fro $479 a pair.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    If you want a great rear ported speaker check out the JBL Studio 530's. As far as Harman Int. they are the parent company of Revel, Infinity, JBL, Harman Kardon, Mark levinson and AKG.

The MA's will not give you the midrange warmth that the Focal's will.

The Studio 530's are currently on sale through JBL fro $479 a pair.
    Thanks. Yes, I gave thought to the 530's a while back but shelved the idea of buying any speakers until I had a better idea of what would work in the living room in my new home. I know that you think very highly of them and mentioned despite having a horn tweeter, it is not a bright speaker. Will keep these in mind again if I can find a way to block the recessed area with a good sized book case with doors.

I really like the Jamo speakers and know I will like the Dali's as well. If the JBL's are anything like them I will probably want to buy them. Would probably be easier than finding the Concert Series by Jamo these days.

Forum Regular
    The following is a great speaker. Auditioned it while at Parts Express a few weeks ago. Unfortunately they are only suited for a small room up to 150 square feet and my room being large with high ceilings won't lend itself well to the use of this speaker. If anyone is in the market for a great speaker for a small room give this one a look.

Dayton Audio RS621CK Speaker Kit Pair Cherry | 302-962

Forum Regular
    Have done so more reading on the Focal 705v speaker. Someone that owns JBL Studio 330's said they sound almost identical except that the Focal is a bit more "air" around the mid range and high end while the JBL is punchier.

As luck would have it I think the current house is going to be a temporary stay. I am going to be shopping for another house thanks to an issue that cropped up there on April 4. I found out on April 5. I will be looking for a more acoustically friendly environment for rear ported speakers this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information