Forum Regular

I wanna rock again!

I'm up to ears from audiophiley skinny, tight focused, laser point image, 5" woofer pretty boy and girly man speakers. What ever happened to the heyday of great big Kef like speakers that have all of that audiophile stuff we so proud of, But more importantly they like to be pushed and rock the walls. Remember the phrase,''these really get up and BOOGIE speakers''. I know you classic rock guys who've been to tweakyville, know what I'm sayin' here. Some one help me out here. I like speakers that make me want to stand up and can't control my bodily functions NOT! sit down and be in a head vice. Yes I know, I know,I want to relax to Enya( who does melt me by the way) and see the glories of heaven extending beyond my walls into the infinite too. But enough's enough OKay?

Please suggest good 3 way floorstanders, Maybe 2 way will do, that love to play loud with ease, PUNCH! me in the gut, rattle my bone marrow. It's a FEEL thing, not just an ear thing.

Thanks,

Mid Life crisis man boy

I got your Rock right here!

What? Too big for ya, girlieman?

How 'bout these monsters with dual "15's?

Still not ready for Miller Time, eh?

OK, throw a leg over these and see if it rattles last night's quiche from your bowels.

Better still, why not just add a Pardigm or Velo Servo 15 and separate your windows from their headers.

There ya go.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Ever hear of Cerwin Vega?

Forum Regular

Now that's some boogien' speakers!

Well be careful of what you want because you might very well get it. Those speakers humbled me and made me feel weak. I didn't want to throw the baby out with the bath water.(please excuse all the puns) I can spend a little more on what these guys can to do with tad more fidelity. Although the ones mentioned could sound better than I think they would.

The Klipsch RF-7's (newer reference series) seem interesting, Pretty tall, efficient, they go low and loud. My room is too small, I think ( 14 x 11x 10) for the corner horns,

You gave great suggestions, but the're so many I would know where to start? Haven't heard those guys in ages.

Thanks for the slap I needed.

Robby

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Ever hear of Cerwin Vega?
    Definitely heard of them, but not heard them. Their website has so many on different levels, I wouldn't have a clue where to start. I guess I could call a Cerwin dealer, but sometimes that can confusing as well.

Thanks,

Robby

Forum Regular
    How much are you willing to spend to bring sound into your listening room?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by john_jcb
    How much are you willing to spend to bring sound into your listening room?
    Well I guess around $1500 to $3000. I imagine I'd have to probably go the used route. In other words something that retailed more but could get a decent deal. I frankly as you can see haven't been in the floor stander realm for a bit.

Thanks

Forum Regular
    When I was last auditioning speakers I listened to the Von Schweikert VR-2's and was very impressed with them. On the used market they should be right in the middle of your range.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr2.html

I ended up buying the Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr4.html

The finalists were Magnepan's, Martin Logan's and the ones I got.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by john_jcb
    When I was last auditioning speakers I listened to the Von Schweikert VR-2's and was very impressed with them. On the used market they should be right in the middle of your range.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr2.html

I ended up buying the Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE

http://www.vonschweikert.com/vr4.html

The finalists were Magnepan's, Martin Logan's and the ones I got.
    Now were talkin'! I owned a pair of Vr3's for a couple of years. Great loudspeaker that practically did all for a reasonable price. My only concern is the vr3 had a 10'' woofer which did allow for the ''boogie factor'' with the audiophiley stuff we like. The vr2's have a 6.5'' woofer which can sometimes, and I stress only sometimes thin out the presentation a little, almost overly tight if you've heard what I mean. What your impression of the vr2's extension and loudness ease? If you got a chance to hear that aspect.

Many Thanks,

Robby

Forum Regular

maybe these

http://www.speakerdirect.com/main.htm take a look at the DB line, maybe one of the bigger ones would do the job. the new Cerwin Vega classics should give'r really good too, the biggest ones have 2-15's. Adire audio has a kit speaker with a 18

Forget about the wimpy home speakers, that stuff's for the wives! You're looking for MANLY BRAWNY stuff? You wanna rock? Bring home a piece of the rock concert experience ...

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp

Is 170 lbs. of movie theater madness enough for you?

http://www.jblpro.com/vertec1/new_vertec/pdf/VT4889.pdf
    http://www.jblpro.com/vertec1/VERTEC...AL_11_25-1.pdf

Or perhaps a big stack of these things? (main drivers 150 lbs. each, capable of 146 db output; subwoofers 120 lbs each)

THIS COULD BE YOUR LIVING ROOM!

Forum Regular

Try these..

I've got a set of Infinity SM 15's which have a 15' woofer, two 5 1/4, and a 1' tweeter I'm selling for $300...send me a message and there yours. I can send you photos they're in mint condition and never really been pushed like they should. I'm having to get rid of them to make room for our 1st baby. They're monsters and they will rock your socks off.

Robby,

The VR2's are clean and energetic down to about 25hz, which is plenty. Trust me, they rock. If you'd like a little more refinement along with more bass, try to find a pair of used VR4jr's. These things are astonishingly dynamic. When I demo'd them, I asked Kevin at VSA if a sub was on. No joke. The Juniors will rock as well as play jazz, vocals, and large scale orchestral music with ease. Quite a speaker, and if you like VSA's sound, you'll love these. They'll absolutely pressurize your small room.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood
    Now were talkin'! I owned a pair of Vr3's for a couple of years. Great loudspeaker that practically did all for a reasonable price. My only concern is the vr3 had a 10'' woofer which did allow for the ''boogie factor'' with the audiophiley stuff we like. The vr2's have a 6.5'' woofer which can sometimes, and I stress only sometimes thin out the presentation a little, almost overly tight if you've heard what I mean. What your impression of the vr2's extension and loudness ease? If you got a chance to hear that aspect.

Many Thanks,

Robby
    It was a while ago when I auditioned them and my memory of exact details has faded a bit. Overall I was very impressed. I did not listen to the VR-4jr's but they have gotten excellent reviews in the press.

Forum Regular
    heywood,

I was in your boat 8 months ago. I had been living with "audiophile" speakers, Vienna Acoustics Mozarts (Maestro center and Haydn surrounds) and found myself listening less and less to my CDs. 98% of my CD collection is comprised of rock, from the 60's to present. Sure, they're not the best quality recordings but I'll trade good sonics for good music and day.

Through the Viennas things just seemed to lack emotion that rock music should. Even if I cranked'em they'd still sound too polite, not enough weight down low either.

A full upgrade (IMO) was in order. A full Paradigm Reference Studio Series version 3 setup was brought in. I recalled how good I thought the Studio 60v2 sounded when I was last auditioning speakers. I ended up with the Vienna's because I was working at Tweeter at the time and couldn't pass up the deal. They did all of the "audiophile" things well. They left me wanting more over the 2+ years I had them when listening to my favorite music.

I auditioned the usual suspects in my area, Monitor Audio, Totem, Mirage, Klipsh, B&W, Definitive Technology, KEF, and Paradigm. This time I was looking in the $2500 range and the Studio 100v3 simply blew everything else away with rock music. They just get it right. Drums sound dead on, there's weight down low that'll pound your chest, highs are very nice, not fatiguing in any way. My foot was tapping again...and hasn't stopped since. It's very cliche but I really am discovering a lot of recordings that were bought during the time I owned the Viennas that sat on the shelf.

Disclaimer: This is just one man's opinion but you asked for recommendations so there you go. If you've got a Paradigm Reference dealer in your area I'd put them on the list of "must-hear" speakers.

Good Luck!
    Bill

Thread Information