Forum Regular

Need rsonator(?) for Lansing L-44 speaker

Hello-I am in need of a resonator(I hope that is what it's called) for a Lansing L44 speaker. The resonator is a dummy woofer in a compression type enclosure and fits a 7 inch hole. The previous one developed a rattle so I threw it out.
    Any idea where I can buy a replacement ?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoneThat
    Hello-I am in need of a resonator(I hope that is what it's called) for a Lansing L44 speaker. The resonator is a dummy woofer in a compression type enclosure and fits a 7 inch hole. The previous one developed a rattle so I threw it out.

You might want to check with www.partsexpress.com or www.madisound.com. I am not familiar with that speaker but some speakers use a passive radiator to help reinforce the bass. A passive radiator has a cone and surround without a voice coil and magnet. Good luck and welcome to AudioReview.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by DoneThat
    The rattle might very well have been fixable, and if not, the passive radiator (what you call the resonator) likely had info on it.

Ya can't just put any ol' 7" PR in the hole and hope for the right results. Best contact the company or take the other one off to find out what make of driver it is.

...what kex said...

ya, partsexpress, and find out the manufacturer

Forum Regular
    The speakers are James B Lansing L44. Nothing on the passive radiator that I can see.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    If you check out the links they both will have a phone number and they should be able to help you find the correct passive radiator. If they can not help check with JBL and see if they might have the part.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Welcome to AR. If you own vintage Altec/JBL gear, make Lansing Heritage.Com
    one on your favorites list. Every part/part # is there, and much much more. BTW,
    L 44's were released in 1970, and are but one edition in a long line of "L" series
    speakers. Not that great at low volume, but crank them up, throw on some VH
    and it just don't get any better. Check Ebay, I saw that radator on there a few
    days ago. Search vintage speakers. Good luck

Forum Regular
    Check out simplyspeakers.com that's what they do, repair, parts, refoam kits and the like.

Forum Regular
    The old Lansing woofers were replaced about 12 years ago with a pair of 8"ers from Madison Sound. I am of the opinion that I don't need to be that speclar about the replacement passive radiator to go in there. Just received an email from Madison Sound and they don't have any passive radiators.

Okaay, well it's not a jbl l 44 anymore anyway. If you just want sound out of the
    enclosure, any driver etc. can be thrown in there. That was like putting a 69
    camaro z-28 in the crusher. I'm going for the JD.

Forum Regular
    JD, is that the fine gentleman from Lynchburg?

It is for a fact, with his BUD, and some cool tunes. A great threesome, Ah forget it
    you know what I mean.

Forum Regular
    You're right-they are not JBL's any more. FWIW, I wouldn't put used passive radiators back in anyway. Why risk have them go bad again. So, I might as well find some cheapo 8 " woofer to fill the hole. Anything is better than the way it is now.

Forum Regular
    As I mentioned before, simplyspeakers thing is older speakers such as JBL give em a call. They're familiar enough to know what will work and what won't. They sell replacement speakers or new style. Such as going from a foam surround speaker to a rubber surround.

Forum Regular
    Ok 2chAlex-thanks for the reference to Simplyspeakers. I missed it the first time cuz this forum didn't high-light the url. Nice site. I sent off a couple of emails to them. What's interesting is that I spend some time in winter only 30 miles away from them, I just might carry some spekers with me and have them do re-foams next winter.

Forum Regular
    Just thought you might have missed it (I forgot the link).

Thread Information