Forum Regular

Budget Living Room Speakers

I'm looking to buy a pair of simple, 2.1 stereo floor speakers to hook up to a 42" plasma in a small appartment living room for music, DVD's, games, etc. I'd like to limit it to under $200 for the pair. I've been eyeing a set of Cerwin VE-8F's. I'd like to get the most out of the money spent on them, while avoiding the need for a sub. Also, what type of receiver is required for the set of Cerwins or something similar? Could I get away with spending under $100 for one off ebay? Thanks.

I think you might want a sub with these, if you like deep bass.

I've been looking at other Cerwins that have a sealed enlcosure (acoustic suspension type) for stand-alone use. The bass frequency specs looked good, the problem is that it appears that they don't have a full grille, giving them that what I call "single guy" look.

I was looking at these but they have others (less expensive) in a sealed box:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

hope this helps

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply. What would be the ideal receiver to power these? Could I get away with a sub-$100 2-ch 200w Sherwood or Insignia? Do 2-ch receivers have hookups for subs?

Quote Originally Posted by w0nx
    Thanks for the reply. What would be the ideal receiver to power these? Could I get away with a sub-$100 2-ch 200w Sherwood or Insignia? Do 2-ch receivers have hookups for subs?
    Take a look at these.Perless drivers,17lb cabinets,and a low Xover point.They will play down to 50hz.
    http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=82.1
    IMO the sherwood will be fine.I doesnot have a sub out though.However most subs come with high level in's and outs.The problem with these inputs IMO is the fixed xover point is usually to high.

Cerwin makes party and DJ speakers, these sound like crap, pump out a lot of bass, and handle LOADS of power...

for movies? without a sub? ya, they're viable

with the cerwins you probably won't need a sub, but you can always use a line level input on the sub!

Forum Regular
    2.1? So you mean stereo speakers + a subwoofer?

Forum Regular
    Well I have a 12" Sony SAWM40 sub that I can either give or take.

Forum Regular
    What exactly is a line level input?

Quote Originally Posted by w0nx
    What exactly is a line level input?
    That's for a powered sub. On most recent av receivers there will be an analog plug (line level input) that runs from a receiver to the sub, where the receiver just sends the audio info to a powered sub that amplifies the sound.

wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

line-level input means the speaker output from the receiver for the speakers gets connected to the sub which takes all the low frequencies out of the signal and amplifies them, giving the rest of the signal to the main speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

line-level input means the speaker output from the receiver for the speakers gets connected to the sub which takes all the low frequencies out of the signal and amplifies them, giving the rest of the signal to the main speakers.
    Duh, I knew that. Pre-nap posting. Do forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

Line level is not speaker level output from a receiver. Line level would be pre out or the LFE out from a receiver. The tape out jacks are also line level although not variable from the preamp. Power amps are fed with line level signals.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    What do you guys think about an Insignia receiver for those speakers I'm getting?

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/i...1QQsacatZ14969

Forum Regular
    Since you may want a sub in the future, how about an Onyko 303 5 channel refurb receiver from authorized online for $99. This receiver will have a LFE output for a sub and allow simpler digital coneections for the dvd and such. The Parts Express flyer I got today had some MTX speakers that are efficent and specs that seem good on paper. I've not had any experience with MTX but they seem to get good reviews. There was a pair for 199.99 but would require stands as they were about 18" tall and were rated down to 42, good for an apartment. In the future there also was a matching center.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Line level is not speaker level output from a receiver. Line level would be pre out or the LFE out from a receiver. The tape out jacks are also line level although not variable from the preamp. Power amps are fed with line level signals.
    See, this is the source of my confusion. Some times, line level refers to such "pre- out" connections or other analog connections, but I think line level also refers to speaker level connections through a sub, albeit a different context in this case.

whoops, my bad...i'm getting it confused with the speaker level connections!

*bashing head on wall*

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    See, this is the source of my confusion. Some times, line level refers to such "pre- out" connections or other analog connections, but I think line level also refers to speaker level connections through a sub, albeit a different context in this case.
    No, I don't think line level ever means speaker level, in fact, that's what it's usually used to differentiate against.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Thread Information