Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mr Peter Q's opinion about ALL of your speakers !!!

Well i just wrote Mr. Q about speakers and here is a quote from the mail.

The subject of what is good and not good equipment is a complex one, let me
    just say that to me 99.99% of everything made the past 40 years is NO GOOD.

Sincerely,
    Peter
    Funny, this inlc. pretty everything we own. Mmmh.......
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Hold on here...

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Well i just wrote Mr. Q about speakers and here is a quote from the mail.

Funny, this inlc. pretty everything we own. Mmmh.......
    I can understand how RGA's, errr...enthusiasm can get a under your skin a bit. But Flo, this type of posting is only inviting a flame war, and quite honestly is a personal attack on RGA (your signature) and Audio Note (and I believe you had questionable motives for e-mailing Peter Qvortrup in the first place).

Not very moderate of you at all...I'm sure we can agree there's more productive thread ideas for you to post about.
    We don't need anymore flame wars.

Besides, Peter Q's own opinions aren't radically different from your previously stated comments about hi-fi vs. hi-end.

OK lets forget about the whole RGA issue and me and lets focus on the above statment. What do you think about that?

-Flo

He's entitled to his opinion, and at least he's done something about it by starting Audio Note...I disagree with an aweful lot of the stuff he says (whether it's marketing or Peter Q just really believes it I don't, know, don't care).

And as I said, I find it ironic that someone who recently made comments regarding how all of us here (99.9%) own "hi-fi" speakers as opposed to the superior "hi-end" speakers he owns, and consequently don't know what sounds good - would have a problem at all with Peter Q's statements.

Not sure what your beef is...I would have thought you and Peter Q would get along fine.

My beef is very simple. I am against over hyping !! And comparing a B&W 700 to a Soundlab U1 or a big Apogee etc... has nothing to do with taste. I had many HIFI speakers in the past and i never said that tey were the best there is because its not true.

My problem starts when someone says "Hey my 700$ speaker sounds only a little bit worse than your 70K system ..."....or "An makes the best speakers and 99% of all other manufactures are totaly wrong".

-Flo

RGA post like 7 private mails to him on the forum. I am doing no wrong.....

Forum Regular
    OK lets forget about the whole RGA issue and me and lets focus on the above statment. What do you think about that?

-Flo
    I am sure Mr. Qvortrup wrote the email to you personally regarding his own thoughts. I am quite certain he will not appreciate his private email to you being placed on a public forum and thus open to scrutiny. Luckily, most here will realize the context of this statement, and that perhaps all Companies are a long way from perfection in sound reproduction.

Flo - There you go on and on about RGA again. I can understand how he can annoy you. But best just to ignore him.
    I'll be fair, I've had (and continue to have) my gripes with him, but he's coming around. Just take what he says with a grain of salt.
    It's not like he's converting everyone to his religion or anything.

Well thats what i am afraid of. Lets asume a beginner comes in here and ask for speaker opinions. The general answere is B&W or Paradigm. Then RGA comes in and writes a book about Peter Q and how AN is the only speaker in the world. I hold against it saying that his **** MDF box is nowhere near the sound of real. I am anoyed by the permanet AN advertisment. In every single post !!! Always you hear AN AN AN !!! I am just sick of it.

If he would say, hey check out the AN speakers there are pretty good sounding, but they may not be your cup of tea i would be fine. But no, he comes in and says its the best thing there is and all others are wrong. Then you have to read like a freaking book about some theory crap.

-Flo

It's just a hobby
    RGA is a laugh , I have taken to making fun of him occasionally ..since I have noticed he is oh so sensitive..., I am even getting better at dodging all those flames he throws around, when he is frustrated.

JSE
    At least this is not a personal thing huh? LOL!

JSE

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    At least this is not a personal thing huh? LOL!

JSE

Tuna Lover
    I've been away for awhile but good to get back, especially with this thread.

I'm sure Audio Note is a fine speaker...there are hundreds, maybe thousands of them.

I came here 8 months ago, and had many a suggestion, including RGA's suggestion of AN; but he also suggested others.

No one suggested Reference 3A mm De Capo i's, which is what I ended up with.

The whole of it is, NO speaker sounds good if it's not integrated into the right system. What's the right system, it all depends on the listener and what their budget will afford.
    ...and there are so many variables...

As the Band once said, 'life is a carnival'...and so it goes!
    ...better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. Abe Lincoln

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LVMF
    I came here 8 months ago, and had many a suggestion, including RGA's suggestion of AN; but he also suggested others.

No one suggested Reference 3A mm De Capo i's, which is what I ended up with.
    Many moons ago, RGA highly recommended the Reference 3A mm De Capo (probably the first iteration of that model). Then he discovered AN. I've followed his posts for several years. If he wants to give the whole AN story with his recommendation, that's fine. I don't have to read it. The point is everyone here has an equal oppurtunity to pimp their own speakers - with the possible exception of dealers/manufacturers/distributors. If you don't like the abundance of information (or disinformation depending on your POV) RGA provides, I guess you can quit your job, interview the lead designer or pres. of the company that makes your speakers, remain in constant contact w/him/her, request all their brochures and company history, read all the reviews on your speakers and finally prepare a synopsis of all the info you've accumulated to support the speaker you recommend. Of course you would have to monitor this board 24/7 to assure that you don't miss an oppurtunity to pimp.

And to Flo, my guess is that Peter Q's speakers represent that .01% and he wants you to buy his.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Many moons ago, RGA highly recommended the Reference 3A mm De Capo (probably the first iteration of that model). Then he discovered AN. I've followed his posts for several years. If he wants to give the whole AN story with his recommendation, that's fine. I don't have to read it. The point is everyone here has an equal oppurtunity to pimp their own speakers - with the possible exception of dealers/manufacturers/distributors. If you don't like the abundance of information (or disinformation depending on your POV) RGA provides, I guess you can quit your job, interview the lead designer or pres. of the company that makes your speakers, remain in constant contact w/him/her, request all their brochures and company history, read all the reviews on your speakers and finally prepare a synopsis of all the info you've accumulated to support the speaker you recommend. Of course you would have to monitor this board 24/7 to assure that you don't miss an oppurtunity to pimp.

And to Flo, my guess is that Peter Q's speakers represent that .01% and he wants you to buy his.
    Yeah well pimping your new speaker is fine but i mean DAMN dont ADVERTISE for AN 24/7....he likes them i get the picture !!
    And to Flo, my guess is that Peter Q's speakers represent that .01% and he wants you to buy his
    Well he can wait forever, because there is no way i will sell my Scinnies for any AN .....EVER!!!!

Yo Pot...Kettle is on line one for ya!

I find it comical that you, Flo, of all people are whining about bias. This from a guy who absolutely won't listen to anything but panels and denigrates every "box" speaker, whether or not you've actually heard them. I won't even get into your opinon regarding hi-end vs. hi-fi, that's been thoroughly played out...

Here's what I read from Peter's statement:

There's an incredible opportunity to advance what is perceived as reality and that's what we're working on.

While I'm certainly no fan of Peter, I don't condemn him for this sentiment, I applaud it. Complacency is for when you're 6 feet under. At least he's not resting on his laurels. Honestly, I don't see it as a slam against others at all, merely a belief that there's definite room for improvement. Isn't this something we should all be striving for, regardless of our field?

I've been here long enough to see RGA go from pimping B&W, to Ref 3A, to his beloved AN's. So what? Everybody is allowed to an opinion and as Kex noted, he's starting to mellow out again and invariably recommends the poster decide for himself. Really, when you consider how scarce AN's are, the chances of him converting anyone to Peter's thinking is going to be pretty far and few in between. If he does, the poster should thank him for expanding his horizons. It's not like he's holding a gun to their head. I'd like to think we're all big boys and girls and can make our own mind up when separating the wheat from the chaff.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I find it comical that you, Flo, of all people are whining about bias. This from a guy who absolutely won't listen to anything but panels and denigrates every "box" speaker, whether or not you've actually heard them. I won't even get into your opinon regarding hi-end vs. hi-fi, that's been thoroughly played out...

Here's what I read from Peter's statement:

There's an incredible opportunity to advance what is perceived as reality and that's what we're working on.

While I'm certainly no fan of Peter, I don't condemn him for this sentiment, I applaud it. Complacency is for when you're 6 feet under. At least he's not resting on his laurels. Honestly, I don't see it as a slam against others at all, merely a belief that there's definite room for improvement. Isn't this something we should all be striving for, regardless of our field?

I've been here long enough to see RGA go from pimping B&W, to Ref 3A, to his beloved AN's. So what? Everybody is allowed to an opinion and as Kex noted, he's starting to mellow out again and invariably recommends the poster decide for himself. Really, when you consider how scarce AN's are, the chances of him converting anyone to Peter's thinking is going to be pretty far and few in between. If he does, the poster should thank him for expanding his horizons. It's not like he's holding a gun to their head. I'd like to think we're all big boys and girls and can make our own mind up when separating the wheat from the chaff.
    I never said i hated box speakers, i own one actually and liked it enough to spend 5 grand on it !! I own the VMPS RM30-M which is a magnificent speaker and a box. I just think that in order for a box to sound good it needs more than 4 slaps of MDF !!

I could care less if he loves AN or Avalon or Apogee or whatever else. I am ticked off because he ADVERTISES !!!!!!!! He plain out is like a 24/7 commercial. At least you cant buy the speakers i like anymore. Why doesnt he just say that his speakers are cool and that someone should give them a try? Why does he write books and quotes Peter Q like there is no tomorrow. I have many mails of people asking me if i can warn RGA. Unfortunatly i am not a moderator for the forums but for the gallerys-

-Flo

quote:

The Scintilla never measured more than about 40 Hz when I had them and they needed a billion watts to give any impression of bass energy, at least as far as my definition of real bass goes, they died very quickly from metal fatigue when pressed hard with a big amplifier for a couple of hours.

That is simply a lie and we can provide measurments with Tact and Behringer units that can prove this. The Scintilla plays down to 22Hz and the Caliper (small) plays down to 30Hz. Its a lie and damaging a reputation. but as soon as i say something i get shut down and get asked to leave the poor RGA alone.

quote:

Not only that but how can anyone stand to listen to the music(on the Scintillas) moving back and forth between the drivers.

The driver integration (same materials all) is nearly perfect and alot better than on the AN where all have different mass, sonic signatue and chassys.

quote:

The subject of what is good and not good equipment is a complex one, let me
    just say that to me 99.99% of everything made the past 40 years is NO GOOD.

quote:

That says it all !!!

An inefficient speaker loses information both dynamically and at low levels,
    the Apogees are very inefficient, so work that out for yourself, no amount
    of power can compensate for the fact that the drive system is too weak to do anything at low level.

This depends totally on design and the Apogee's have very powerfull ceramic magnets, the only problem with the Scintilla is that it needs an amp with real balls.

Also this crap about Apogee are too hard to drive is a myth. They are 3 and 4 ohm speakers and you can use a 18wpc tube amp to make the 3ohm caliper sing.

If he quotes complete garbage, why dont i have the right to correct it?

JSE
    What was the original question again? I'm lost.

JSE

BTW Topspeed, "Yo Pot...Kettle is on line one for ya! "

Classic! LOL!

I never said i hated box speakers, i own one actually and liked it enough to spend 5 grand on it !! I own the VMPS RM30-M which is a magnificent speaker and a box. I just think that in order for a box to sound good it needs more than 4 slaps of MDF !!
    Nothing at all wrong with using MDF...how you use it is another story.
    I could care less if he loves AN or Avalon or Apogee or whatever else. I am ticked off because he ADVERTISES !!!!!!!! He plain out is like a 24/7 commercial.
    -Flo
    This from the guy who had the handle "Lord Magnepan" and shills for those speakers as often as anyone shills any product here.
    Go RGA bash somewhere else please.

No, what they need is ribbons! Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't VMPS hybrid line arrays with ribbon tweeters?

Yeah they are hybrids.

-Flo

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Go RGA bash somewhere else please.
    RGA bashing? Good lord, where have i landed. I will just leave this forum alone.

-Flo

I think that a lot of us on this board have had our fair share of run-ins with RGA, but this thread that you started here is flamebaiting, plain and simple. As a moderator, you should be more aware of what direction a thread is likely to go once it gets started, and I don't see any positives to posting an inflammatory private message like this from Peter Q.

Between this and the anti-AN avatar that you displayed yesterday, it seems that somebody's got your panties in a bunch. Time to take a deep breath and take a step back. In all fairness to RGA, he does post on subjects other than AN, and while his tone might go overboard at times, he is just as entitled to his opinion as you are. Considering how frequently you go off on your Apogees, I don't see the point of accusing somebody else of advertising.

Mutant from table 9
    I've been a moderator on a couple of different gamer forums. Although every forum has its own rules and standards, I find this whole thread to be at odds with what any definition of what "moderation" is supposed to be.

Additionally, it doesn't even take a veteran member to indeed see the pot and the kettle on this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information