Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ajani

Magnepan MG 1.7 to be debuted at CES

Magnepan will Introduce the MG 1.7 at the upcoming CES.

http://www.avguide.com/blog/more-ces...uces-the-mg-17

after years and years in the Magnepan line, Maggie's superb wooden-framed two-way quasi-ribbon/planar-magnetic 1.6 floorstander is being put out to pasture and in its place comes the aluminum-framed entirely quasi-ribbon two-way 1.7 floorstander with improved parts, crossovers, and panels. And all this for a mere $100 more than the classic 1.6. (The 1.7 is priced at $1995 per pair.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani

Thanks, Ajani.

Jonathan Valin clears up the confusion I had from Steve Guttenberg. So basically the 1.7 is a full-range quasi-ribbon speaker, not a true ribbon speaker. Apparently all drivers including the supertweeter are "quasi-ribbon", this being Magnapan speak for their aluminum foil-on-mylar panels. "True" ribbons don't have the mylar backing.

So indeed the MG 1.7 is quite different from the MG 1.6: (1) the magneto-planar bass is replaced by a quasi-ribbon, and (2) there is supertweeter, also quasi-ribbon. How much better the new is than the old remains to be seen.

So I wonder: will there eventually be an all-new Magnepan line-up with all speakers having quasi-ribbon vs. magneto-planar bass drivers??
    Last edited by Feanor; 12-31-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks for posting the news. I'll be interested in reading a few reviews and hopefully getting a chance to hear them myself.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    I called up Magnepan and asked when the 1.7's will be released. They would not say and had no one that I could talk to about it. They gave me the feeling they were a little unplanned and that this was a media slip.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Might as well buy an Analysis Audio. Quassi Ribbon bass and a real ribbon tweeter. Magnepan just copied it
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Analysis audio isn't even close to being in the same price range. Besides, their availability is probably close to zero in the US.

Bill L

1.7's

At last year's CES, Magnepan displayed their "mini-maggie" speaker which got a pretty good write up by the guy who was reviewing equipment there. But I haven't heard hide nor hair about them since.
    Bill
    Music:
    Magnepan 1.6 QR's, upgraded xovers
    B&K 125.2 reference amp
    SONY SACD 2000ES
    Technics direct drive TT

HT:
    Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver
    Bang&Olofsun Penta Surrounds
    SONY Bravia 46" HD LCD

Ajani
    Thoughts on the sound of the 1.7 at this year's CES:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/magnepan...lified-triumph

Looks like the 1.7 will be a hit with reviewers...

I might have to give those a listen, but I sure don't care for the look of the aluminum frame. It looks cheap. I prefer the nice cherry wood frame on my 1.6's.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

So, first indication, not much difference between the 1.7 and the 1.6...But we'll see.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...pkr&1263206590
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Ajani
    Try Stereophile's blog on the 1.7:

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2010/...ting_a_legend/

They seemed to think it was special....

Also of note is that the mini maggies were also on display and finally ready to ship...

One big regret...

I've NEVER heard Maggies or any other electrostatic speaker design, I don't think I'v ever heard a tweeter of that design. It's on my bucket list though.

Worf

RGA
    Forum Regular
    My report will come eventually - I have sent in the first part. I don't know what Valin heard - I went to the same room and heard it considerably differently. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I've NEVER heard Maggies or any other electrostatic speaker design, I don't think I'v ever heard a tweeter of that design. It's on my bucket list though.

Worf
    After hearing and buying a pair of MG-1's in 1976 I've had nothing but Maggy's or electrostatics. No "monkey coffin's" for me ever again. Even if you don't like them you owe it to yourself to give them a listen.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    My report will come eventually - I have sent in the first part. I don't know what Valin heard - I went to the same room and heard it considerably differently. YMMV.
    Well, as you've said yourself, one has to consider where the reviewer is coming from.

(A person who really likes the AN plywood crate might not be receptive to a Magneplanar.)

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Feaner

Not true at all - I have a panel in my top five best rooms at the show. A speaker that is less than half the price of the 20.1 and better in ever possible way. Granted an electrostat but... I also auditioned a couple of ribbon speakers at the budget end and the extreme pricing end and both were in my top 5 or top 10 respectively. I also heard a hybrid panel that they managed to get to gel and it was also in my best grouping.

The fact that AN's room sounded better in every possible way is beside the point - there were tremendous rooms from all sorts of designs with boxes and without. While cheap boxes and bad designs sound bad - of all the panels displayed - there were some that were truly excellent some that truly stunk and some that were mediocre. Magnepan was IMO mediocre. Granted for under $2k they were ok but there were other speakers for similar prices or less that were considerably better and unafraid to let you play your own music.

There were much better panels at the Show and CES - one I have asked for review - it's THAT good. I am highly receptive to quality sound - not receptive to the one brand Magnepan or nothing mantra that you seem to support. And other panels didn't need a center channel to help it out!

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Even if you don't like them you owe it to yourself to give them a listen.
    I 100% Agree....

Even though my own audition of the MG12s left me scratching my head, with the letters WTF stamped across my forehead, I still always include Maggies in my recommendations of speakers in their price ranges.... The reason being that, considering how many consumers and reviewers love them, then there is a possibility that the person I'm advising might love them too...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Check out the show report done by audiofederation. Just click on the play button to skip through the pages. They will apparently add commentary and a show report when they get time. http://spintricity.com/64/public/Vol...2010/got-music

A user review on AA says that:

1.7: more technically better.
    1.6: More musical and enjoyable.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MU...14/148656.html

Best Regards,
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    A user review on AA says that:

1.7: more technically better.
    1.6: More musical and enjoyable.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MU...14/148656.html

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Thanks, Stan.

A very in-depth review. I'll be sticking with my 1.6's for monetary reasons, but I won't be feeling unduely deprived.

Yes, the 1.6's can sound a tag dull at lower sound levels, and as someone observed, if the 1.7 was less so it would be a good thing. Not that this aspect of the 1.6 has ever bothered me -- at lower levels I want a less obtrusive speaker anyway, eh?

I'm going to try and audition the 1.7's next week at Audio Perfection here in Minneapolis. I was there on Saturday listening to REL subs and they has the 1.7's playing. Someone placed an order for them. I did not have enough time to sit and listen to them. The pair in the store are the only 1.7's outside the factory in the country.

I don't care for the aluminum frame. The salesman said the metal frame comes in different colors and that you can still order it in the wood trim. He also stated that the 1.7's were more detailed and smoother than the 1.6's. They were selling them for $300 more than the 1.6's at $2200.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Worfster! They may not be your bag, but you've got to hear them in an optimum environment! Like Joe, I first heard tri-amped Magneplanar Tympani IIIs in 1974 and immediately fell in love. I thought it just didn't get any better than that. I bought a pair of MG-IIs (the lineal predecessor to the 1.6) a year later. In '76, however, I heard Dayton-Wright electrostats and my point of reference got recalibrated. They exhibited a unique coherency that to this day I do not find with any other speaker design. I bought my first pair of Acoustats in '77 and replaced them with Sound Lab U-1s about five years ago.

I really wish I could have heard the magnificent array of SL speakers Ray Kimber showed at RMAF for a couple of years showcasing his discrete four channel recordings. Click on my gallery to see a pic of him standing in front of an array of six 922s.

rw

Ajani
    Jonathan Valin, of the The Absolute Sound, is clearly loving the 1.7s:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/magnepla...-listen-repost

Jonathan Valin, of the The Absolute Sound, is clearly loving the 1.7s:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/magnepla...-listen-repost
    Valin's gungho, that's for sure. Of course, as we know and as he admits, he was long a 1.6 proponent. He certainly had some nice associated equipment to drive them.

I don't know when I'll get to hear the 1.7's. The nearest dealer is in Toronto.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Valin's gungho, that's for sure. Of course, as we know and as he admits, he was long a 1.6 proponent. He certainly had some nice associated equipment to drive them.

I don't know when I'll get to hear the 1.7's. The nearest dealer is in Toronto.
    He may well be gungho, but he's had enough time to determine if he likes them....

I don't like Maggies, but next time I'm in Toronto, I think I need to audition the 1.7s... Would be interesting to see if these ones could change my mind....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information