Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    My Platinum T6's are in a dedicated room that is 11X16 with a ceiling height of 7 feet. This is the perfect smaller size room for them, but I wouldn't recommend a room much smaller for them. However, if the room gets much larger, especially with higher ceilings I would go for the T8's. PSB speakers adjust well to just about any room and setup, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hey Peruvian,

Thanks for the advice.... I should be checking out the PSBs next weekend.... though they'll have strong competition...

I went for a second listening of the Monitor Audio Gold GS20s (floorstanders) today... The first time I heard them was several weeks ago and they sounded nice (using the store CDs) but I wasn't sold on them...

Today I returned with some of my favorite CDs and was totally blown away.... So far I can easily say that these are the best speakers I've heard, so far, for my musical tastes.... unlike the B&W 805S which sounded amazing on some older store CDs but made most of my collection sound like total crap.... Also, the room was a similar size to my current listening room, which is another plus...

So needless to say... the Monitor Audio Golds are now the number one choice on my list... so hopefully the PSBs will be up the challenge next week...

And thanks to everyone who has given advice so far...

One last thing: feel free to suggest any great floorstanders you've heard in my price range as well...

What about the Tannoy TD8, or some other tannoy speaker in your range?

I heard them a while ago connected to a McIntosh Tube amp, sounded amazing!
    (also heard a different model hooked up to an anthem amp, very nice too)

Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    What about the Tannoy TD8, or some other tannoy speaker in your range?

I heard them a while ago connected to a McIntosh Tube amp, sounded amazing!
    (also heard a different model hooked up to an anthem amp, very nice too)

I've never heard a Tannoy speaker.... so if I can find a local dealer I'll definitely check them out...

I think that PSB is always up to the challenge and when driven properly they can do amazing things. The last pair of Platinum monitors that I heard were being driven by Classe amps, and wow did they sing! However, it's completely up to your musical tastes. I like the neatrality that PSB offers where they are accurate and detailed, rather than color the source and become manipulative.

Tannoy is another british brand, like your missions.

But if you see a tannoy, depending on the model, definitively take a look at the mid/bass driver, i don't know, but they use some mighty cool things in the middle for a reason way beyond me, but it sounds great!

http://www.focal.tm.fr/accueil_en.htm

if you haven't already checked them out, apparently the cobolt line has been replaced with the chorus 800 V series...

these floor standers should be in your price range (if they are about the same as the old series)

not sure about the price on the profile series?
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Not sure how I forgot to mention those, but definitely check the Focals out.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think the Profile series is supposed to be priced "middlin'" -- I.E. not cheap, but not expensive (by audiophile standards).
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    ill second the italian made Sonus Faber Concertino Domus.
    I've always thought the Domus speakers were the worst sounding speakers ever to be sold in Hi-Fi shops. Actually, the other series might be worst but I think they stopped making them. Concertino or somem? I cant remember. Classic Series are good, but they are over priced for some. We all hear differently, dont we?

What about Quad 12L? They sounded pretty good my ears mated with Accuphase gears.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I have the powered ones, and they're astounding. But the passives would be below his price point. Nyuk nyuk nyuk...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

So quick update:

So far I've listened to:

B&W CM1 & 805S Bookshelves + 704 Floorstanders (with the same Rotel gear I have). Unfortunately, I no longer enjoy B&W speakers... for some reason they cause me to suffer from listening fatigue fairly quickly....

Dynaudio Focus 140 Bookshelfs and 220 Floorstanders (same store as te B&Ws, also with the same Rotel gear) - powerful bass, and a bit more mid-range than the B&Ws, but compared to my old Missions... were dull and lifeless in the Highs... not my kind of speaker either....

Totem Rainmakers Bookshelfs + Staff and Forest Floorstanders (with NAD setup I used to have & Arcam setups) - Did nothing for me....

Elac Floorstanders (no idea what model number) with a musical fidelity setup - On there own they would have sounded ok but nothing special... but I compared them directly against a Monitor Audio Gold GS20 and well..... Let's just say I can't even consider the Elacs...

Monitor Audio Gold GS20 Floorstanders - easily the best speaker I've heard for my kind of music... they were combined with a Musical Fidelity setup in a small room similiar to mine... and all I can say is that I never knew "Billie Jean" could sound that good...

Anyway, I should be off to check out more speakers this weekend, though I may be picking up some temporary ones on Thursday.... Hopefully I'll be buying a used pair of Magnepan MMGs for a low price just to get my first taste of Planar sound....

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice so far.... and let you guys know when I finally make a decision....

good luck man. I'd love to hear some Monitor Audios but there are no dealers in my area.

Ok so I listened to a few more speakers today...

Firstly I did a direct comparsion between my current favourites the Monitor Audio Gold GS20 and the much cheaper Monitor Audio Silver RS6.... Really not a fair comparison, but I wanted to see if I would just be wasting money to buy the GS20s for more than twice the cost of the RS6s... All I can say here is that if you have the money, buy the GS20s as they are hands down a far superior speaker.... I think that RS6 are exceptional for their price, but the GS20 are just plain exceptional... (I'm starting to think I shoud get a job marketing Monitor Audio Gold Speakers.... I wonder if they'd give me a free pair if I did...lol)

I also auditioned some Electrostats... FINALLY!!!!!

Martin Logan Clarity (a couple hundred canadian more than GS20)... anyway, these are hybrid electrostats.... and in my oppinion, not worth the money.... They totally failed to impress me...

Final Sound 400i (around the same price as the Clarity)... these are true electrostats and are frankly the best speakers I've heard other than the GS20s... Not only did they sound amzing and give me some insight as to why electrostat lovers are so obsessed, but they are easily some of the sexiest looking modern speakers I've seen... I'm tempted to buy a pair just on looks alone... But they also highlighted the inherent problems with Planar speakers... placement is key and these babys need proper placement to excel, which I'm not sure I can give them.... but on the other hand they are only 10 inches wide meaning they are easier to place than many other planars....

Anyway, tomorrow should finally be PSB Platinum time....

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    good luck man. I'd love to hear some Monitor Audios but there are no dealers in my area.
    You should move to Canada then lol... I have two Monitor Audio Dealers within walking distance of my apt... and ironically, a dealer I should be visiting later this week to check out Quads, Revels, Magnepans and JM Labs also has Montior Audio.... So that should be a worthwhile trip....

how much are thoes final sounds, they look sharp man
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    They're about $4k CDN so probably about $3.3K to $3.5K US..... But on looks alone they're worth the money and the fact that they sound good is a great bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    I looked them up myself, what I saw said $3k a pair.

Oohh I gotta know how the PSB Platinum listen goes....I don't think you'll be the least bit disappointed! Do tell!

I think you'll find that with most higher end speakers poor recordings sound poor, and good recordings sound good. To me, speakers that make poor recordings sound good are coloring the music and not giving an accurate reproduction. I guess its a matter of personal preference, thats why we have so many choices.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I think you'll find that with most higher end speakers poor recordings sound poor, and good recordings sound good. To me, speakers that make poor recordings sound good are coloring the music and not giving an accurate reproduction. I guess its a matter of personal preference, thats why we have so many choices.
    I agree with what you're saying to a large extent... based on my experiences listening to more expensive equipment.... For example, I found the B&W 800 series peakers to be exceptional on high quality recordings but utterly brutal on mediocre to average recordings.... Now this may appeal to some fans, but not to me....

IMHO people who seek absolute accuracy and faithful reproduction of the original source material are more in love with the technology in this hobby than the actual music (Please note that there is nothing wrong with that, so hopefully no one will attack me for saying it)... The reason I say this, is that if you buy a speaker that will make the 5% of your music collection that is extremely well mastered sound fantastic, but will make the other 95% almost unplayable, then you are more into seeking perfect faithfulness to source than just enjoying the music....

My Primary love is music, and as fascinated as I am by the equipment, it is still only a very distant 2nd to enjoying the music.... So this is something anyone reading my mini-reviews of the speakers I've auditioned should keep in mind....

Anyway, your point reminded me of this excerpt from a review of the Magnepan 20.1 in Soundstage last September:

We reviewers can be a self-absorbed lot, becoming lost in our own world, forgetting that the kind of audio gear that helps us write reviews is not necessarily what everyone should buy for long-term enjoyment. Do you want your audio system to be a tool? Heck no! It's a source of peace and participation with music, not something with which you do work. The MG20.1s are not for would-be reviewers or equipment jockeys. Other speakers, some that cost far less, can tell you more about the other products with which they are used. As transparent as the MG20.1s are through the midrange and especially the treble, they still present music their own particular way, taking over your listening room more than giving you a pristine view into everything upstream and each recording.

I agree toatally what you are saying. One thing thats nice about our hobby though is that we can fine tune our systems with different cables, wires and CDP's to match our tastes.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

PSB Platinum M2

So I finally got around to checking out the PSB Platinum M2s today. I carried my favourite test CDs, a combination of very modern and 80's synthezied beats and old school authentic instruments....

Let me get to the point, the PSBs were exceptional. Especially when I threw on The Eagles' Hotel California and The Jackson 5's I wanna be where you are.... I heard detail I've never heard before, not even the B&W 805S (which cost significatntly more than the M2s) delivered that level of detail.... To say that I was impressed was a bit of an understatement.

I also love the look of the PSBs, the T6s are very nice looking floorstanders but I think the M2s are really standout as bookshelves... Rather than the typical blend into the background and try not to be conspicous look of many bookshelves (aimed at high WAF), the M2s are very Macho looking (if you can really describe a speaker as macho).... They are large and intimidating looking and I can easily set them up with my 200 watt amp and not feel like a total tool for doing so...

The downside (if I can really call it that).... is that the PSBs are so detailed and neutral... I found that they were exceptional on music with real instruments but only good with my synthesized modern and 80s CDs... Now I should point out that compared to most competitors which range from average to dreadful on those same CDs, the PSBs are incredible... BUT since my current favourites the Monitor Audio GS20s are speakers that seem to be really designed for modern synthesized music, well they left the PSBs in the dust on tracks like Billie Jean.....

I think a reviewer for soundstage really described the M2's best with:

For the audiophile who wants a no-compromise two-way monitor that will reproduce exactly what’s on a recording (minus the lowest bass), the PSB Platinum M2 holds nothing back. This is a speaker with a character -- a rather characterless one -- that gives a clear view into the performance, for better or worse.
    Now one should keep in mind that I'm in no way opposed to a bit of colouration in music if it makes my recordings sound better.... so that may be the deciding factor, If i choose another speaker instead of M2... but regardless, it is a fine speaker...

Damn you PSB, you've just made my decision more difficult... Since now I have to decide between PSB Platinum M2, Monitor Audio GS20 and the Final Sound 400i....

And I haven't even heard the Quads, Revel, JM Lab or Magnepan's yet!!!!

The hunt continues.....

glad you are finding many speakers you enjoy...
    after you have your top picks, go back and audition them again...
    I auditioned my top 5 speakers 3 times each (after the first audition) prior to purchasing my focal jmlabs...
    maybe excessive, but I wanted to make sure what I got is what I wanted...
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

I'm not surprised in the least that the PSB's smoked the B&W's, although more people are familiar with B&W, but I think if they gave PSB a listen they would become bigger fans and also spend less money to get better results. I am a fan of more accurate music reproduction, which is what I get from the T6's and that's fine for me! If I need coloration or more treble/bass whatever I can always integrate an EQ.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information