Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    The 1.7 Maggies list for $1999. I have less than $300 in these OB's. I could probably buy several SET's for the price of an amp that the Maggies would require. Add a good sub for the Maggies and it gets even more pricey.

I listened to some very large Maggies ( don't know the model ) not long again and liked what I heard but they were bass shy and would need bass augmentation.

These OB's are about the same width as the 1.7, but are some two feet shorter. My wife would leave if I brought 6 ft Maggies into my house.

Forum Regular
    [QUOTE=Poultrygeist;382912]The 1.7 Maggies list for $1999. I have less than $300 in these OB's. I could probably buy several SET's for the price of an amp that the Maggies would require. Add a good sub for the Maggies and it gets even more pricey.

Other than price point, how comparable do you feel the Alphas are to a decent sub?
    BTW, the 1.7s have enough bass for my tastes. The only time they need a sub is on bass-shy recordings. This is, of course, a matter of taste/opinion.

Forum Regular
    The Alphas sound nothing like a plodding sub rather they offer great bass weight with fast transients. I've never had a sub that integrated well and I've had some expensive ones but the Alphas blend perfectly. They would be more appropriately called bass augmenters as they are bass full rangers not subs. I like subs but in HT where they're needed to plumb the depths.

Although these OB's are 3 ways the tri-amp solution sans crossovers gives them "one voice".

I'd love to do a shoot out with the Maggies. The turn off for me with the 1.7 is they must be played loud for best results. This was mentioned in the "Enjoy the Music" review and is something that is diametrically opposed to how I listen to music.

Forum Regular

Mid range and your speakers .

Mid range and your speakers starts with the damping factor of your Amp . And the midrange controle on the Amp . Take the Sansui
    V7000 , with mid range controle , would get good results from most well made speakers, weather 2 way or 3 way , than it depends on your lisening space , I personaly like Matrex , or 4 channel with a sub woffer in the back ground . And the music surrounds you .

Forum Regular
    Two thoughts on your OB's, Pg....

1. A curved & shaped structure to move the cone forward of the baffle plane so as to discourage early reflections.

2. Work up a feedback control system to clean up the sound from the cones. [Tweeters usually do not need this since their moving mass is small w/r/t the "motor's" power.] Visit Mackie.com and look up the diagram for the HR824Mk2, which has an elegantly simple feedback control system. The resistor in the cone's ground circuit only has to be large enough to generate a preamp-level voltage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information