Audio Enthusiast

JM Lab SIB Impedance

Has anyone used these speakers ? In JMLab SIB production sheet it marks nominal impedance as 8 ohms. However, the information in JMLab SIB user manual says the nominal impedance is 6 ohms. Is this speaker 6 ohms or 8 ohms ? My receiver must take speakers 8 ohms and up (can't be lower - will burn receiver). Is there any technical difference between current version (black jet finish) and its previous versions of Technic (black/silver) & Classic (wallnut/silver) ? Thanks

it seems unlikely that your receiver won't take 6 ohm speakers,
    I mean, it has to be some cheapo boombox receiver to not accept other impedences than 8 ohm, and even those can take lower...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    Has anyone used these speakers ? In JMLab SIB production sheet it marks nominal impedance as 8 ohms. However, the information in JMLab SIB user manual says the nominal impedance is 6 ohms. Is this speaker 6 ohms or 8 ohms ? My receiver must take speakers 8 ohms and up (can't be lower - will burn receiver). Is there any technical difference between current version (black jet finish) and its previous versions of Technic (black/silver) & Classic (wallnut/silver) ? Thanks
    What model receiver do you have?

The Focal website says the minimum impedance of the SIB is 4 ohms, so off hand, I would consider it to be a 4 ohm speaker. Whether your receiver is suitable for driving it to loud levels is difficult to say without further information, although you probably are making a mountain out of a molehill. It depends on the capabilities of your receiver and how loud you play the music.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat D
    What model receiver do you have?

The Focal website says the minimum impedance of the SIB is 4 ohms, so off hand, I would consider it to be a 4 ohm speaker. Whether your receiver is suitable for driving it to loud levels is difficult to say without further information, although you probably are making a mountain out of a molehill. It depends on the capabilities of your receiver and how loud you play the music.
    I use Yamaha RXV-520 and I use both A & B speaker systems at the same time. In the back of receiver it says:

* A or B => each speaker imp must be > 4 ohms.
    * A + B => each speaker imp must be > 8 ohms.

That's why I want to verify if JM Lab SIB are really 8 ohms or 6 ohms. If 8 my receiver can take it, otherwise (6 ohms), my receiver will get burned. Thanks

don't worry, your amp will take 6 ohm speakers just fine.

if it only accepted 8 ohm speakers, it would burn after all, since I don't know a single 8 ohm speaker that is 8ohm over the whole power bandwith, they always have a dip (this can be a big dip) somewhere...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SAPSEC
    I use Yamaha RXV-520 and I use both A & B speaker systems at the same time. In the back of receiver it says:

* A or B => each speaker imp must be > 4 ohms.
    * A + B => each speaker imp must be > 8 ohms.

That's why I want to verify if JM Lab SIB are really 8 ohms or 6 ohms. If 8 my receiver can take it, otherwise (6 ohms), my receiver will get burned. Thanks
    I see your concern.

I believe your RX-V 520 is a five channel receiver, so you should be able to run each of the 4 speakers off of different channels. That should be OK, although with a single power supply, the maximum power available from each channel will be somewhat less than with two channel, but that should not be a problem at reasonable listening levels. Yamaha receivers are pretty robust.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Thread Information