Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JBL,s

rod
    Forum Regular

JBL,s

what does everyone think of the brand, I have JBL L5 towers and love them, all answers are wellcomed .

Dustin Broke is hot!!! SpankingVanillaice's Avatar

Cool

I dont know the L5's but I can say I do love JBL too since they are soo percise and clear. I only buy JBL speakers. Since JBL's are top of the line.

Well you have to put everything in perspective
    JBL is surely no bad brand, but definetly not "state of the art" in home audio. While i am sure they sound great to some people, i surely wouldnt want one over the speakers i have owned.
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

JSE
    If you are happy with them, enjoy. It does not matter what others think of them.

JSE

My experience with them is that they are great if all you want is loud, boomy, sloppy music. If you listen to anything other than Metal or Rap, I don't suggest buying them. They make good loudspeakers, but their mids and highs are horrendus. But its not buying them, so if you like them, all the power to you.

Well thats why my new speakers have a mixture :-) Many ribbons and planars and regular drivers. Will see how it works out, but my best compromise seems to be ribbon planars with subs. Maybe a Apogee next Ill report on the RM30's tough. 4600$ tough. Not for everyone, but darn good.

Otherwise ill go to Apogee or Magnepan 3.6R with Rel.

JBL, are more party speakers in my opinion. Even tough my RM30s will cleanly hit above 110db in room.

Smile

I am saying for the price JBL's are top of the line.

But, what others are saying...

Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    I am saying for the price JBL's are top of the line.
    ... is that other speakers in the same price range are "better". I tend to agree. Ever listen to the Athena Audition series?

JBL is hardly top of the line in their price.

If you listen to female vocals like Diana Krall, then the last speaker on the planet i would buy is a JBL. If i listen to Techno and party music, i would consider it but would most likely choose Jamo. A much better speaker (entry level) in lets say 300 -500 is the Tannoy RS2 and RS3 or some small B&W.

If you like the JBL's thats cool.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    God must love stupid people. He certainly created a lot of 'em.

Without a question the absolut best signature in the world

I know your content for the moment, but give the 3.6R a try. I used to own 1.6's too, but i almost cried listening to my other 3.6's

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Without a question the absolut best signature in the world
    Thanks! I try. In fact, some people would say I'm very trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    I know your content for the moment, but give the 3.6R a try. I used to own 1.6's too, but i almost cried listening to my other 3.6's
    Don't doubt it. Only two minor issues. Room and $$, my friend, room and $$.

So, I take it you've seen my system listing at AA?

Yeah i read it. I had so far a pair of .5's, 1.6's and 2x 3.6R systems

The .5 is in germany for show (my first Maggie) and i sold the 1.6QR. I have one 3.6R in germany which is now used by my parents. I have another 3.6R here in the US, but room and taste complications made me sell them and go for a VMPS RM30 which will be here in about 5 days.

If you ever stumble across a Pathos Acoustics Classic One, sell all your amps and buy it. Its by far the best match for a 1.6 period.

Well, good luck.

Once you get used to planars, it's hard to go back to monkey coffins, not matter how good they are. But, I'm pretty sure you know that.

..something about that rear dispersion and placement far from the room boundaries that adds so much to the presentation.

As for that Pathos. I don't doubt it but there's that $$ issue again. Been downsized and out sourced so many times in the past few years I'm in sort of a siege mentality, what with retirement looming in the near future.

Oh i see. Lol, well i am only 21 so i cant speak of retirement quite yet

You can run across the Pathos used for around 1500$. I have one at home on my other 3.6R here is a picture.

The Collector
    for those of you who down JBL i have to say have you given a chance to the ones outside of best buy and other stores such as the Performance Series, K2, anything from the Synthesis line, the older 4400 and 4300 series studio monitors, the LSR32's, the Everest, Paragon (or the Metregon as a matter of fact), or anything from the Tik line. as for Rod mentioning the L5's I must say he is lucky for owning those, they are great speakers. I guess I made my point. 95% of the people in the world forget about major accomplishments JBL has made through out the years. oh and one more thing i must add that JBL makes extremely efficient drivers.

Hi Pelly,

Have you got any suggestions on places to look for (good) used 2441diaphragms? I can't buy them just yet...but figure I should start looking for some back-ups.

thanks,

dan

enjoy the music!

don't take it personally, Pelly

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    for those of you who down JBL i have to say have you given a chance to the ones outside of best buy and other stores such as the Performance Series, K2, anything from the Synthesis line, the older 4400 and 4300 series studio monitors, the LSR32's, the Everest, Paragon (or the Metregon as a matter of fact), or anything from the Tik line. as for Rod mentioning the L5's I must say he is lucky for owning those, they are great speakers. I guess I made my point. 95% of the people in the world forget about major accomplishments JBL has made through out the years. oh and one more thing i must add that JBL makes extremely efficient drivers.
    I'm not particularly familiar with the L5 speaker so I withheld comment on it.

My response was more directed at SVI. He's got a history here that warrants such responses. Unlike SVI, I simply don't think what they offer at Big Box City is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

As far as JBL goes, I have a pair of their L55's from the early 70;s and, while not the biggest and baddest they ever did, they served me well. Now, had I known and waited a year I would have had the Jublals but hindsight is 20/20.

I have great respect for a goodly portion of their line, particularly their older products and their pro line. I would love to get hold of some of their big stuff from the 60's and early 70's, particularly their Olympus series.

The Collector
    gonefishin let me check at work i might have some used or new ones that i might be able let go for a good price.

Thanks pelly

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular
    I like JBL's the best. You can go to www.jblpro.com for current models.

Forum Regular
    JBL AE's are good. If you can, get a 3 way speaker and a sub for a 4 way system. DBX 480 good or dbx 260 good for 3 way prosessing. 3 or 4 amps. QSC SRA or crown k1 or k2 have no fans. powerlights, powerlight II, macrotech's,cts,i-tech good amps. crown xls okay amp. Cheap amps will make JBL's sound bad. Good wire such as audioQuest makes it sound excellent such as CV-6 and good interconnects. LSR6332s are good for smaller rooms with a sub. Most of these speakers are $1000.00 and up

Forum Regular
    The best vocals I heard are from JBL's. They have great horns. up to 130DB
    Some horns can cost $700.00 Just from the horns . Using Highend Audioquest and American made amps.

I agree that JBL does have some decent sounding speakers - if you spend $5000 for them. When it comes to anything apart from their high end stuff, they are big, sloppy and down right horrible - unless all you want is something that is loud. I second the motion for the jamo speakers above the JBL. I would argue that the bass response that comes from them blow the JBL's away not to mention that the mids and highs on the Jamo (from all of their lines) simply squash JBL. I actually just purchased the Jamo E855's and compared them to the JBL's that retail for $300 more - no competition - Jamo got my money.

I found out that my JBL Control 1X are way flatter response than the orginal Control 1's so I am excited. These are the flattest speakers I ever owned. Its like +- 0.5 db.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    I found out that my JBL Control 1X are way flatter response than the orginal Control 1's so I am excited. These are the flattest speakers I ever owned. Its like +- 0.5 db.
    That specification is every Loudspeaker Designer's dream!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information