Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 29 of 29
  1. #26
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25
    OK first of two replacement crossovers arrived in the mail today. I put it in and it sounds pretty good! woofer works, tweeters work. I hear a tiny bit of distortion here and there, but I think it might just be the nature of the speakers. They are a 40 year old design, after all. I think it might have something to do with the bump in the woofer response and the sort of wonky crossover design as described here.

    Because the new crossover was from a new model (serial number 177750 -A), I had to drill 4 holes in the front panel of my speaker which is an earlier build, serial number 87709. I didn't mind at all, though, because it will make things easier to replace if something goes wrong with the crossover again.

  2. #27
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25
    I'm happy to report that I was able to buy two replacement crossovers and install them and the speakers are working swell now. My speakers, which are the older L-26 models, had their crossovers *glued* and *stapled* to the inside of the front face of the cabinet. Ripping out the crossovers was hard until I figured that the key is to scrape a bit with a razor edger or spackle spatula until you meet a staple and then pull out the staple. Pliers work for staple-pulling, but you have to be careful not to smash the cardboard port tube.

    I also had to drill mounting holes for the replacement crossovers -- this is pretty exacting work and one must be pretty careful.

    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

    And markw, this one is for you:

  3. #28
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,676
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyimp View Post
    And markw, this one is for you:
    Gee for such a knowledgable tech you sure are a drama queen and a crybaby to boot. All you needed was to spritz the pots or, at most, new pots.
    Last edited by markw; 03-29-2012 at 05:12 AM.

  4. #29
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Gee for such a knowledgable tech you sure are a drama queen and a crybaby to boot. All you needed was to spritz the pots or, at most, new pots.
    Unfortunately, the pots were more or less stuck in place (corroded, etc. -- moisture?). One of them had broken loose and would turn around completely when you tried to turn the adjustment. So minimally new pots.

    I don't know if you were paying attention, but the crossovers were *glued* inside. Not only am I not in possession of mirrors/cameras/arthroscopic surgery equipment, but the nut holding the old pots in place was on the other side of the glued-on board. To unscrew the nut would require that I remove the crossover anyway. Removing the crossovers was impossible without tearing them to pieces.

    For such a self-professed elitist you sure do provide a lot of factually inaccurate detail and grief to well-intentioned posters. I think you are the troll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook