Forum Regular

Dipole Speaker Positioning

When doing 7.1 surround sound, suppose you have a pair of bookshelf speakers and a pair of dipoles (both made from Jamo). Should I put the dipoles in the front rear position (perhaps on the wall) or all the way in the back.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda
    When doing 7.1 surround sound, suppose you have a pair of bookshelf speakers and a pair of dipoles (both made from Jamo). Should I put the dipoles in the front rear position (perhaps on the wall) or all the way in the back.
    I have a 7.1 receiver and a set of dipole speakers, after playing around with direct radiator and dipoles I decided to put the dipoles in the front rear position while maintaining the direct radiators at the back. To me it sounded better that way.

Check out this site, it helped me figure out speaker placements.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    A year or two ago I posted a very interesting article on the merits of placing dipoles at the back and direct radiators on the sides. I don't have the link anymore, but if you search the archives here you might find it. A few people participated in a test basically, and if memory serves, the article concluded with the suggestion of using the dipoles in the back if you only had one pair.
    It was surprising and counter-intuitive.

Everyone's tastes are different though. Maybe you could try both ways for yourself?

Forum Regular
    VERY interesting. If you find it, please bring it this way, this may be what I'm looking for.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    A year or two ago I posted a very interesting article on the merits of placing dipoles at the back and direct radiators on the sides. I don't have the link anymore, but if you search the archives here you might find it. A few people participated in a test basically, and if memory serves, the article concluded with the suggestion of using the dipoles in the back if you only had one pair.
    It was surprising and counter-intuitive.

Everyone's tastes are different though. Maybe you could try both ways for yourself?
    Audio magazine did a simular test, and they found that putting the dipoles in the rear caused the soundstage in the rear to shift, and become diffused. Their finding support dipoles on the sides just like THX recommends. My experience mirrors theirs, I didn't like the dipoles in the rear because the backfill becomes too diffused.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Audio magazine did a simular test, and they found that putting the dipoles in the rear caused the soundstage in the rear to shift, and become diffused. Their finding support dipoles on the sides just like THX recommends. My experience mirrors theirs, I didn't like the dipoles in the rear because the backfill becomes too diffused.
    This is precisely why I don't like dipoles or bipoles at all. I find I lose the imaging in exchange for a falsely wide, but somewhat incoherrent soundstage. I owned a pair for almost a year, but after several months took them down and preferred inferior, cheap bookshelfs.
    This just points out how it's very much a preference thing, THX, ITU standards aside, and why I suggested trying both ways to the original poster. I'm sure the physical environment of each setup contributes greatly.

I'm not experienced in this area at all Sir T, perhaps you can explain. Are Dolby Digital or DTS surround channels created on DVD's under the assumption bipole/dipole speakers will be used? My limited understanding is that this is a carry over from the Pro-Logic days.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    This is precisely why I don't like dipoles or bipoles at all. I find I lose the imaging in exchange for a falsely wide, but somewhat incoherrent soundstage. I owned a pair for almost a year, but after several months took them down and preferred inferior, cheap bookshelfs.
    This just points out how it's very much a preference thing, THX, ITU standards aside, and why I suggested trying both ways to the original poster. I'm sure the physical environment of each setup contributes greatly.

I'm not experienced in this area at all Sir T, perhaps you can explain. Are Dolby Digital or DTS surround channels created on DVD's under the assumption bipole/dipole speakers will be used? My limited understanding is that this is a carry over from the Pro-Logic days.
    Actually I highly recommend bipoles over dipoles and monopoles. Dipoles and too diffused, monopoles are not diffused enough. Bipoles are the perfect combination of both. The can be diffused, and pinpoint when asked to do so. The last two system I installed used four bipolar speakers for the surrounds.

I don't think the studio's mix with any assumption on playback speakers. The guidlines for remixing or repurposing soundtracks for DVD release specifies that monopolar speakers be used. But I think that is largely because most control rooms for mixing are pretty dead acoustically and dipoles or any reflecting speaker will not sound very good under those conditions.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Actually I highly recommend bipoles over dipoles and monopoles. Dipoles and too diffused, monopoles are not diffused enough. Bipoles are the perfect combination of both. The can be diffused, and pinpoint when asked to do so. The last two system I installed used four bipolar speakers for the surrounds.

I don't think the studio's mix with any assumption on playback speakers. The guidlines for remixing or repurposing soundtracks for DVD release specifies that monopolar speakers be used. But I think that is largely because most control rooms for mixing are pretty dead acoustically and dipoles or any reflecting speaker will not sound very good under those conditions.
    Interesting, in my large room I couldn't get used to them. But I've been revisiting and rethinking a lot of my previous determinations this past year. Might be worth another consideration...if nothing else it'd be an interesting speaker project. I have enough drivers to just, just need a box...hmmm...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda

I use dipoles, bipoles, and monopoles in my HT setup. I've found that dipoles work well for surround, and monopoles for rear surround. I'm going to be changing my setup over the next few weeks, and doing some more experimentation with dipoles.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    I guess for now I will setup dipoles in the front rear and monopoles in the back.

Thread Information