Forum Regular

Importance of good stands

So recently I got into the budget high end audio game. I've started with B&W 601's and a Brio3 2 channel amp from Rega. I'm currently using a technics 5-disc changer so I'm not TOO worried about the little things right now since I know my poor source will make this unimportant right now. My focus is on stands, I being an audio "noob" went the cheap way and bought a set of $100 mdf stands so they've got no weight to them and they're rather tall. They've got spikes and bronze nib's to raise the speaker from them but they're still rather........un-stable. Am I going to hear any large problems from these? I don't want to have my money gone for nothing since I'm 19 and $100 is a full days pay. Any help?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Actually, MDF has its strengths. Unstable is bad, but only in a you-might-knock-em-over kind of way. Do they vibrate? That's the key question. One of my favourite pairs of stands I have are cheap little MDF jobbers.

Here's a simple test -- take 'em off the stands, put em on something else -- the end of a dresser or something (flush or a little overhang is fine), and compare them with the stands.

As long as you like the sound better with the stands, then you're fine.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    They're not unstable really, I know they're not going anywhere. They're just very tall and not heavy at all. They're planted quite well because the spikes are easily a bit into the ply.

Are you able to add any weight to the stands? I know that some are capable of having sand poured into them to give them more weight. Not sure what your stands are like, but that might be a quick fix.

Thread Information