Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

I'm finally pulling the trigger!

Well, I'm picking up my Von Schweikert VR-1's Saturday!!! Can't wait to get these beauties home and spend some quality time with them. I'm trying to decide on what song to play first!!

Nice choice. Many hours of listening bliss await you.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Thank you!! The way the weather has been here in upstate NY, i'll be more than happy enjoying some good beer and music Saturday night!

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Nice choice. Many hours of listening bliss await you.

Forum Regular

Congrats...

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Well, I'm picking up my Von Schweikert VR-1's Saturday!!! Can't wait to get these beauties home and spend some quality time with them. I'm trying to decide on what song to play first!!
    ...on your new toy(s)!

Be sure to report back on the good and bad aspects from this speaker. By all accounts, there will w-a-y more positives.

I have a fairly local dealer here on the Island for V.S., but haven't made it there yet. Did you hear 'em, or bite the bullet and just order them?

Good luck and have fun.

P.S. Yes, the weather sux! I haven't worked in a week, and am getting very lazy :^(

Forum Regular

Thanks!

I'll definitely give my thoughts on them!!!

I am buying them without hearing them first. This is usually a no-no, but I can return them for a full refund if I dont like them, so I can't beat that. Plus I'm getting an amazing price on them, so I think its a win-win for me.

This weather is depressing~!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    ...on your new toy(s)!

Be sure to report back on the good and bad aspects from this speaker. By all accounts, there will w-a-y more positives.

I have a fairly local dealer here on the Island for V.S., but haven't made it there yet. Did you hear 'em, or bite the bullet and just order them?

Good luck and have fun.

P.S. Yes, the weather sux! I haven't worked in a week, and am getting very lazy :^(

Thank you!! The way the weather has been here in upstate NY, i'll be more than happy enjoying some good beer and music Saturday night!
    We needed the rain. But all at once? I have two sump pumps running 24-7 and still have water downstairs.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular

ugh

man that sucks. as of this morning, mine still hadn't kicked on yet. I'm betting when I get home tonight it will be running.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    We needed the rain. But all at once? I have two sump pumps running 24-7 and still have water downstairs.

man that sucks. as of this morning, mine still hadn't kicked on yet. I'm betting when I get home tonight it will be running.
    If you were to see this house you would never guess that we'd get flooding. We are at the very top of a big hill. But the house was built wrong. Absolutely no drainage at all. Oh well, I'm moving next spring. The owner will have to deal with it.

You're going to love them... give them some time to "break in" though - took mine about 50 hours to open up and then at about 3-400 hours they really started to shine. They are the one thing in my system that has remained constant for the last two years. The bass is astounding - deep, clear, and quick!

Move them about 8' apart and about 2' from the rear wall and facing straight out - don't toe them in. I know it sounds odd, but these things image the best when firing straight out. Search Audio Asylum for tons of info on placement. Look forward to hearing what you think of them.
    Cayin A-70T Integrated w/ Gold Lion Tubes · PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage · Pro-Ject RPM-9.1 Turntable w/ Pro-Ject Ground-It and Pro-Ject Speedbox II · Dynavector 20X2H Cartridge · Usher Audio X-718 Monitors · Ultimate Cables C4 Interconnects & Speaker Cables

Congrats, I'm actually thinking about grabbing a set for myself to use as rears. I'm currently running my AR DIY's back there with great results but I know it could be better. What finish did you chose?

Have fun,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Congrats! Gotta agree with Slate, no toe-in with the VR-1's. Their ability to fill your room combined with an enormous sweet spot is astonishing. Without question, the best monitor I've heard under $2.5k. Enjoy!

BTW, what are you driving them with?

Forum Regular

Thanks!

Hey Slate, thanks for the info, very helpful!!! I was wondering about toe-in, now i know!!

Quote Originally Posted by slate1
    You're going to love them... give them some time to "break in" though - took mine about 50 hours to open up and then at about 3-400 hours they really started to shine. They are the one thing in my system that has remained constant for the last two years. The bass is astounding - deep, clear, and quick!

Move them about 8' apart and about 2' from the rear wall and facing straight out - don't toe them in. I know it sounds odd, but these things image the best when firing straight out. Search Audio Asylum for tons of info on placement. Look forward to hearing what you think of them.

Forum Regular

Thank you Jim!

I went with the African Hazelwood, loved the look of it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Congrats, I'm actually thinking about grabbing a set for myself to use as rears. I'm currently running my AR DIY's back there with great results but I know it could be better. What finish did you chose?

Have fun,
    jc

Forum Regular
    Thanks Speed!! I really cant wait to hear them!!

For now I'll be using a Marantz SR-7000. In some of my past posts, I was concerned about driving them with the Marantz, but a few here, along with the owner of the store I am buying them at, said it woudn't be a problem. Granted, I'm sure they would benefit from an upgrade in that area, but that will have to wait for a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Congrats! Gotta agree with Slate, no toe-in with the VR-1's. Their ability to fill your room combined with an enormous sweet spot is astonishing. Without question, the best monitor I've heard under $2.5k. Enjoy!

BTW, what are you driving them with?

For now I'll be using a Marantz SR-7000. In some of my past posts, I was concerned about driving them with the Marantz, but a few here, along with the owner of the store I am buying them at, said it woudn't be a problem. Granted, I'm sure they would benefit from an upgrade in that area, but that will have to wait for a little bit
    Cool Beans. I drive mine, also African Hazelwood , with a vintage Marantz 2230 and they sound wonderful. I've also hooked them up to my main rig and driven them with the 3803 and the HCA2. One of the VR1's best qualities is that while revealing, they aren't so clinical as to exacerbate upstream deficiencies. While they benefit from better front ends, they won't sacrifice the music on the alter of "hi-fi," if you know what I mean. I've said it many times, the best word for these speakers is "fun!" Enjoy!

One of the VR1's best qualities is that while revealing, they aren't so clinical as to exacerbate upstream deficiencies.
    This is one of the things I love about these monitors. They are rather revealing but remain musical at all costs. This is a quality that I've not found in any other monitor I've tried at any price.

Modern day Marantz gear is actually pretty damned good - you should be fine.

African Hazelwood here too!
    Cayin A-70T Integrated w/ Gold Lion Tubes · PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage · Pro-Ject RPM-9.1 Turntable w/ Pro-Ject Ground-It and Pro-Ject Speedbox II · Dynavector 20X2H Cartridge · Usher Audio X-718 Monitors · Ultimate Cables C4 Interconnects & Speaker Cables

This is one of the things I love about these monitors. They are rather revealing but remain musical at all costs. This is a quality that I've not found in any other monitor I've tried at any price.

Of course, a Panache front end doesn't hurt either, eh?

Forum Regular
    many thanks to Slate and Speed!! Now I really cant wait to listen to them!!

Sounds like the African Hazelwood is a popular choice!!

Modern day Marantz gear is actually pretty damned good - you should be fine.

Forum Regular

does anyone have the VS center speaker?

or the VS sub?

Cool Beans. I drive mine, also African Hazelwood , with a vintage Marantz 2230 and they sound wonderful. I've also hooked them up to my main rig and driven them with the 3803 and the HCA2. One of the VR1's best qualities is that while revealing, they aren't so clinical as to exacerbate upstream deficiencies. While they benefit from better front ends, they won't sacrifice the music on the alter of "hi-fi," if you know what I mean. I've said it many times, the best word for these speakers is "fun!" Enjoy!

No, but I've heard both. The LCR15 is a fabulous speaker, better than the VR1 in many respects. It is an actual left/center/right speaker, not just some label thrown on a cc. It sports the same wide dispersion as the VR1's, but with more bass.

The sub is ridiculously heavy for its petite size. It sports (if memory serves) a long throw 8" woofer that must have God's own magnet and basket on it, because lifting the damn thing will give you a hernia. Output is very impressive; strong, deep, clean, and fast. I liked it a lot, just not for the price. I'm not a big bass guy anyway, but I do think there are better values to be had. The VRS just didn't strike me as the screaming bargain the VR1 or LCR15 did. Break in your VR1's for a while before you decide whether you need a sub. Unless you listen to a lot of large scale orchestral music, I doubt you'll miss the sub.

Forum Regular
    Interesting info. I'm not a big bass fan either, and from what I hear I think the VR's will provide plenty for what I need. Would definitely like to get the LCR sometime down the long road...

No, but I've heard both. The LCR15 is a fabulous speaker, better than the VR1 in many respects. It is an actual left/center/right speaker, not just some label thrown on a cc. It sports the same wide dispersion as the VR1's, but with more bass.

The sub is ridiculously heavy for its petite size. It sports (if memory serves) a long throw 8" woofer that must have God's own magnet and basket on it, because lifting the damn thing will give you a hernia. Output is very impressive; strong, deep, clean, and fast. I liked it a lot, just not for the price. I'm not a big bass guy anyway, but I do think there are better values to be had. The VRS just didn't strike me as the screaming bargain the VR1 or LCR15 did. Break in your VR1's for a while before you decide whether you need a sub. Unless you listen to a lot of large scale orchestral music, I doubt you'll miss the sub.

congrats on the new speaks...

two suggestions...

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (they DO mkae great beer, right here in the ole US!)

Steely Dan - Asia

you got some great speaks there...enjoy the VS!!!

Peace, Pogue
    • Mark Levinson No. 27
    • Musical Fidelity 308cr
    • Martin Logan Prodigy's
    • Ariel Acoustics 10-T
    • Rega Planet CD
    • CJ Premier 9 DAC
    • Linn LP12 - Basik Plus - Valhalla
    • Benz Micro Cart.
    • Akai GX 747 Reel to Reel
    • Straight Wire Virtuoso Interconnects

Forum Regular

Thanks Pogue!

Two great suggestions!! I wish the Sam Adams winter lager was out though, that is a damn good beer too!!

Quote Originally Posted by thepogue
    two suggestions...

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat (they DO mkae great beer, right here in the ole US!)

Steely Dan - Asia

you got some great speaks there...enjoy the VS!!!

Peace, Pogue

I've got the LCR15 and am naturally using it as a center channel. There was a massive calibration adustment needed when swaping it with the Klipsch RC 3. It's a fairly petite center channel speaker compared to most on the market. My dialogue comes in crystal clear but more than that, I now have front soundstage that's a lot more coherent then before. In fairness to the demoted Klipsch set up, the actual matching center for my mains was a KV -1. Good luck finding one of those, which is why I went witht he RC3. At any rate, I had read several concerns that the LCR 15 was somewhat lacking when paired with the VR4 jr's. In size it most certainly seems inadequate and once that get's in your brain it's all over. I still need to make some adjustments to the angle of the speaker but once that's done I expect it perform most admirably.

Oh, and yes...African Hazelwood! Excellent choice.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Hey Jim,

How 'bout an update on those jr's. Did you get it straightened out with the shipping co?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information