Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Kind of funny and strange story, I posted this same thread on another forum and got told by 2 different people now that all amps sound the same and that "there is no scientific proof that different amps make a difference in sound, watts are watts". I guess no one told all these different amp manufactures not to waste their time in researching and developing all these amps. Or prestigious electronics engineers not to waste their time because in the end they will all sound the same. Why use different configurations, designs, components, if in the end it will sound the same as your competitors amp? just kind of a ignorant statement to me.
    All I did was change out the amp and messed with nothing else and got a different sound, I was really baffled that they said this. Kind of like saying all speakers sound the same to me. I guess if that's what they have to tell themselves to get out of experimenting with different amps then more power to them. One guy said he had four ATI amps and said they run dead silent. well that implies that you have had experience with others and they do not, hence they do not all sound alike. And unless you bought all four at the same time why waste your time tracking 4 of the same brand if they all sound alike? oh just wanted them to match in looks?
    I just had the mods close the thread and if this turns into a useless debate then I will close this as well, thanks.
    Thoughts anyone?

Well anyone that thinks all amps sound the same should post that thread on Nelson Pass's site and pay real close attention to it for a while while Nelson schools them and lets them know what reality is all about. These people think the way they do for a certain reason. Its either they have reached their spending limits in amp and do not want to admit to themselves that there is better out there. Or they are home theater only guys that only play movies which to say the least is a DSP circus that does not bring the best out in an amp(not to say the amp does not matter in HT as well). And finally they refuse to upgrade the rest of their gear in order to hear the difference. I will be the first to admit that my speakers are levels below my amp in my system right now but Dynaudio speakers have this ability to sound better with upgrades to the components no matter what level of speakers you own and while my amp is the single most expensive component in my system by about 4 times or more I also know that anyone that has heard my system will say it way outperforms its price level and I know the amp plays a huge part in it.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Charm Thai™
    Kevin that site is a complete joke as far as audio is concerned. Too many members there, including the moderators, are far too closed and simple minded for my taste.

I have gone there in the past to get some info and opinions about television sets but that's it.

You must mean the AVS forum? Yeah some real big egos on that place. These guys just don't listen to any kind of reason at all. I bet they would never post those feelings or opinions on a site like Pass's or anywhere like that. Close minded narrow unenlightened, like I said whatever they have to do to convince themselves, go figure.

OK I tried it on the Viennas and they sounded better with it too, as much as I like my Rotel I have to admit this ATI better. I also figured since I removed the EQ out of the mix I would try using the DAC in my receiver (Sony STR DA2ES) I figured since my CD player was also a Sony (CDP CX 55) they would have the same DAC but I guess I was wrong, clearly the receiver has a better DAC. Another improvement in sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information