Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help me choose my first (used) speakers

Forum Regular
    My brother in law visited last weekend and, of course, I had to show him my new system. He has been in a music desert for many years ( young kids) and immediately went into "I need this" mode. While he was impressed by the sound (it gets better every day), he apparently thought my budget should have been higher, and asked me (in so many words), what would it cost to go to "the next level". A fairly ambiguous question. I explained that I thought my $1,700 had bought a great sounding system for my room size and listening preferences, and that additional incremental expenditures would not make major SQ changes.

He immediately immersed himself in an OCD driven internet pursuit of the "perfect system". Of course, he never got the answer he was looking for.

So, for his sake and mine, let me put it out there to see if anyone can help him in his quest. Given the system I put together (Marantz PM7005 / Marantz CD5004 / Focal v716 speakers / BJC cables), how much more would you have to spend, and for what, to experience a MATERIALLY better SQ. Or could you achieve this goal for the same cost with different equipment selection. Recognize that it would not be fair to assume you can buy a $2,500 piece of equipment for $200. I managed to buy all new with full factory warranty ( clearance / open box items) at about a 45% discount from full retail, so that should stand as a reasonable maximum discount.

I know he plans to pull the trigger on this so any opinions before he leaps would help. I have my own but I benefited greatly from this board's advice, so hoping you can assist him as well. Thanks in advance

There is no direct linear relationship between what you spend and the resulting sound. The relationship is actually logarithmic. As you go up the scale the more you spend the smaller the differences. IMO/E at much above $10K for an all new two channel system you start seriously running into the problem of diminishing returns for the outlay. Beyond $10K the differences are for the most part very small and/or incremental. This doesn't mean the differences aren't there or can't be heard. It really depends on the listener and what he/she finds important.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular

$10K budget

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    There is no direct linear relationship between what you spend and the resulting sound. The relationship is actually logarithmic. As you go up the scale the more you spend the smaller the differences. IMO/E at much above $10K for an all new two channel system you start seriously running into the problem of diminishing returns for the outlay. Beyond $10K the differences are for the most part very small and/or incremental. This doesn't mean the differences aren't there or can't be heard. It really depends on the listener and what he/she finds important.
    $10,000 is highly unlikely to reflect my bro-in-laws pocketbook, but I am curious what you would spend it on.

Suspended
    It depends on what his budget is and what he is looking for. He could spend around the same and just come up with a different sound. Or he could spend more, anywhere from the Parasound integrated at $2500.00 which has high power, built in DAC and good sound at that level, this piece was selling so well it was back ordered, not sure how it is now. Or, up to Pass Labs integrated depending on which, I think around $5k, then he'd still need a comparable source and speakers. The thing is when you or he asks, everyone has their preference they will recommend. Then Marantz has their Reference gear which I believe they still offer an integrated.

I think you have a nice system, I would need to know what area would he be looking to best? Does he want louder, warmer, more detail etc. He could get your exact components and change things a lot by using a different brand of speakers.

Does he want a turntable, disc player or streaming from computer? Does he want surround sound for movies?

If not able to audition some brands I'd certainly recommend buying with a return option. And, always keep in mind what one person thinks is "best" may not be at all what you or I would call "best" So if not able to audition draw from a lot of sources to form some options then begin to narrow it down. I think you have a bit of experience there

Suspended
    A quick look on Audiogon shows a Pass integrated 30 (30 watts into 8 ohms of pure Class A power, he'd wet himself) or the integrated 150 which is Class A up to I believe the first 10 watts then goes A/B, as you may notice more hear are in agreement that Pass sounds incredible, these werer like $3200 to $3500.00, but used. I'd match that with maybe the Marantz DAC that has the built in tray or the Ayre CD only player around $3500.00, depends a lot on what source material he owns or plans to play. The Clearaudio Concept turntable that comes with cart for $1500.00 is my pick of best bang for the buck or the Marantz Reference table built by Clearaudio for around the same price with cart.

If he likes your Focal he could go up the line, there is a wide open field of options in speakers. I'd personally use better cables with a Pass like Transparent, Wire World or Analysis Plus. Going this route I think would surpass the $10k some, we haven't even mentioned a phono stage, one of the Musical Surroundings would run about $800.00 and up.

He could get the Parasound, buy something entry level to spin the disc and use the built in DAC, I believe a phono stage is built in, this would free up more budget for the other system components. This really is a nice piece that sounds good.

What is his budget? You can put a great sounding system together for $2000-$3500, especially if you go used. Does he want to go digital with computer based music or does he want to use CD's or Vinyl?

I would certainly consider a stand alone DAC like the Chord 2Qute. I am a firm believer that a good music source (CD Player, DAC, Turntable) and a good pair of speakers is a good place to start. There are plenty of good amps, preamps and integrated amps to fit just about any one's budget.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by sjtm View Post
    $10,000 is highly unlikely to reflect my bro-in-laws pocketbook, but I am curious what you would spend it on.
    That's easy to answer. I'd buy pretty much the same sort of gear I already use. That is tube driven electrostatic speakers with dual subwoofers.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

If your Brother in law does not need ear bleeding power, I would consider a Vinni Rossi Lio integrated. I heard this gear at the Chicago audio show this year and it was stellar. It was paired with a pair of Harbeth speakers. It was one of the better sounding and more affordable rooms at the show. It had plenty of dynamics with the inefficient Harbeths.

Vinnie Rossi - LIO Modular Audio System

Vinnie Rossi
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    What is his budget? You can put a great sounding system together for $2000-$3500, especially if you go used. Does he want to go digital with computer based music or does he want to use CD's or Vinyl?

I would certainly consider a stand alone DAC like the Chord 2Qute. I am a firm believer that a good music source (CD Player, DAC, Turntable) and a good pair of speakers is a good place to start. There are plenty of good amps, preamps and integrated amps to fit just about any one's budget.
    I do not believe he has put very much thought into any criteria, but I can speculate: He is likely to use a digital source (lossless files as he is a bit of a computer freak). Will also likely borrow ( and rarely return) portions of my CD collection. He will be relegated to the basement, although his home is newer with higher ceilings (9') in the basement. wall to wall carpet. His music preference reflects his age ( 80's- 90's retro / alternative / with some classic rock and classical as a minor interest. His roomate after college had some minor success ( Barrance Whitfield and the Savages), so he is in regular rotation.

As far as budget, he is impulsive and unpredictable. His wife is a successfull TV personality and will indulge him to a point, but would probably be apoplectic if he came home with $10K of equipment. While he and I both subscribe to the philosophy that it is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission, this approach has its limits (as demonstrated by the fact he is on his second marraige).

My guess is he would be well advised to stay around $5K plus or minus. Any specific suggestions that get him to "the next level"?

Suspended
    If he is playing lossless files you really should look at the Parasound integrated, built in DAC, sub output with crossover, plents of power, suggested retail is $2500.00 and half the budget left for a decent set of speakers. Go up the line in Focal. Perhaps something in KEF's R series. If he likes to rock he might even like the Monitor Audio, they have a floorstander around $1k in the Silver series that's supposed to be good for the money, I can't remember the model, Silver 7 maybe. You have to like the music on the crisp side to enjoy monitor Audio. KEF was actually using this integrated to demo their large Blade 2 towers at an audio show.

You can see the Parasound integrated at Audio Advisor website, I don't have a link

Suspended
    Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier-Audio Advisor

Here's the Parasound if the link works

Forum Regular
    Well October was an interesting month. My brother in law's queries led me to stalk the varios used gear sites. The rusult was I upgraded my entire system at a cost of only $150 over my initial purchases, and sold my original equipment to a friend for $100 less than I paid - so a net $250 additional cost to me. I nded up with the following used but virtually new replacements:

Focal Chorus 816v speakers. Slightly more bass extention than the 716v's they replaced due to a second down firing port. Significantly nicer looking with a substantial metal base. Also appear to be fully broken in - prior owner had them for 9 months and played them about 8 hours / week.

Marantz PM8005 - great integrated, with a little more power but additional flexibility than the PM 7005 it replaced.

Marantz SA 8005 - The C%5004 it replaced sounded awesome, but this player is even better and lets me play the few SACD,s I own. And the player has a USB input.

Love this combination. The Focals continue to impress.

My only question is whether I should look at any further upgrades to my cables / power. I am currently using the BJC interconnects and their 10AWG speaker cable with bare wire connections at both ends. I have a Furman surge protector but no power conditioner. Given this equipment and my relativly frugal budget will wire upgrades make any meaningful sonic improvement.

Suspended
    I think with the gear you have now you should hear some difference with a cable upgrade. But entry level "high quality" brands will approach $100.00 or so for interconnects and speaker cables depend on length. I find Analysis Plus a good value and Transparent is also good. Transparent has a direct online store now and may allow return if not happy. A+ I find to be revealing but in a natural sounding way. Many Focal dealers seem to sell Nordust with Focal but I'm not very familiar with their stuff.

The BJC are really good, I feel compete beyond their price. When I compared some of their interconnects to a couple entry brands I was able to improve bass or treble extension but the BJC midrange was holding its own.

To sum up, there is better than BJC but you don't need to feel upgrading is a pressing need, just something to maybe experiment with at some point.

Congrats & enjoy the system.

Keep the speaker cables. Before upgrading IC's, see if you can borrow a pair of higher end IC's and see if you can hear a difference. In my system, most IC's sound the same. Any differences that I have heard have been subtle. Other people's experience have been different. I have heard very significant differences in USB cables however.

Check out the Cable Co. They will loan you cables to try out with a deposit. They are very helpful in picking out cables for your system if you know what you are looking for.

Audiophile & Audio Cable Types available from The Cable Company.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

AR Newbie Registered Member

options

Trying to assemble a relatively low cost but high quality sound system. This is for strictly listening to music in a relatively small music room ( I am still negotiating with my wife for the space). My tastes cover a wide spectrum, but listen mainly to blues ( Bonnamassa, Buddy Guy. Musselwhite), acoustic / instrumental / jazz ( Metheny, Andy McKee), and female vocals (Leela James, Bonnie Raitt). My budget is from $1,000 - $2,000 max for everything - the lower the better as I am currently funding two kids in college.

I have identified some speaker options and plan to try to listen to them all, but no guarantee that they will be powered by the right equipment. So I am hoping that this forum might weigh in on which of these might work best for my needs and whether the price represents good value.

The options are:

Quad 22 L - $600. Right now I think these are my first choice, but not the most efficient speakers if I am reading specs correctly.

NHT 2.5i - $375. My low cost option

B&W 604 S2 - $400

Tekton Lore S - $750

Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 - $1,000 - this is really over my budget, but would stretch if they are far superior to the other options.

PSB Imagine T Towers - $1,000 - same issue as above

Polk Lsi15 Towers - $1,000

B&W 683 - $1000 - I think these are too bass light for what I want

I know this may be a wide range, but hoping for comments by those with direct experience with one or more of the above. I would also appreciate recommendations for an amp / preamp or integrated amp to work with one or more of these. Thanks in advance.
    Consider Bose 901 Series VI (used eBay etc) Most earlier 901 series had cone rot problems, finally fixed in Series VI. However, there are two earlier series that are much cheaper that did not have cone rot. Google it.

Electronics: You aren't anywhere near the price point where its worth
    worrying about electronics/speaker matching. Forget it. Again, hit eBay etc for good prices on high quality used, old amps. Example: a couple years ago, I picked up a Struss Model C integrated amp for $5 at the thrift store which blew away my McIntosh. I also got a circa 1990 Luxman integrated amp for $15 which easily matched my Mac (Struss is better).
    A Tandberg 3000 amp is well worth considering.

Also look at used Crown International amps. Crown is the top maker of commercial amps. They are indestructible & are superb for home use.

Used CD players are problematic because current models are almost always better, for less money. Check out low priced Marantz, Oppo, & Emotive.

sjtm:
    The space and positioning requirements for 901's make using them in a small room extremely difficult. There are any number of smaller bookshelf type speakers that will work much better in small rooms.

IMO auditioning speakers, as you're doing, is the only way to make a buying decision.

Select the speakers first. Then get the power needed to properly drive them.

For any speaker you like that's bass shy, you can always add a powered subwoofer.

Forum Regular
    Keep the speaker cables. Before upgrading IC's, see if you can borrow a pair of higher end IC's and see if you can hear a difference. In my system, most IC's sound the same. Any differences that I have heard have been subtle. Other people's experience have been different. I have heard very significant differences in USB cables however.

Check out the Cable Co. They will loan you cables to try out with a deposit. They are very helpful in picking out cables for your system if you know what you are looking for.

Audiophile & Audio Cable Types available from The Cable Company.
    By your recommendation, I assume you infer that BJC Belden 5000 (10AWG) is sufficient for my needs and an upgrade of the speaker cable is not likely to produce a noticable sonic improvement.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0000 View Post
    Consider Bose 901 Series VI (used eBay etc) Most earlier 901 series had cone rot problems, finally fixed in Series VI. However, there are two earlier series that are much cheaper that did not have cone rot. Google it.

Electronics: You aren't anywhere near the price point where its worth
    worrying about electronics/speaker matching. Forget it. Again, hit eBay etc for good prices on high quality used, old amps. Example: a couple years ago, I picked up a Struss Model C integrated amp for $5 at the thrift store which blew away my McIntosh. I also got a circa 1990 Luxman integrated amp for $15 which easily matched my Mac (Struss is better).
    A Tandberg 3000 amp is well worth considering.

Also look at used Crown International amps. Crown is the top maker of commercial amps. They are indestructible & are superb for home use.

Used CD players are problematic because current models are almost always better, for less money. Check out low priced Marantz, Oppo, & Emotive.
    Thanks for your suggestion, but I am settled in now with my system selections: Focal 816V speakers, Marantz PM8005 integrated amp. Marantz SA8004 SACD player. Now focused on relevant accessories that complement / enhance sonic quality.

Yes. If you don't like the bare ends, blue jeans sells banana plugs and spades that attach easily. I use them.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I think with the gear you have now you should hear some difference with a cable upgrade. But entry level "high quality" brands will approach $100.00 or so for interconnects and speaker cables depend on length. I find Analysis Plus a good value and Transparent is also good. Transparent has a direct online store now and may allow return if not happy. A+ I find to be revealing but in a natural sounding way. Many Focal dealers seem to sell Nordust with Focal but I'm not very familiar with their stuff.

The BJC are really good, I feel compete beyond their price. When I compared some of their interconnects to a couple entry brands I was able to improve bass or treble extension but the BJC midrange was holding its own.

To sum up, there is better than BJC but you don't need to feel upgrading is a pressing need, just something to maybe experiment with at some point.

Congrats & enjoy the system.
    I came across a pair of Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval speaker cables locally. Quite costly even used ($1,000). These are 9AWG silver over copper. Are these what you are referring to?

I think Mr. P was referring to the Analysis Plus Oval One Interconnects that go for about $90pr.

Save your money. I doubt that you will hear much of a difference if any with the gear that you have. If you have doubts, try and borrow a pair of better IC's. The money would be better spent on a good usb cable if you get into computer music or save for a good external DAC. Just my 2 cents for what ever that is worth. My main system consists of about $25K worth of gear, and speaker cables and power cables have not made a difference, IC's have made very subtle differences occasionally and some have not. USB cables have made major differences. I know that others have had better experience with different IC's.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I think Mr. P was referring to the Analysis Plus Oval One Interconnects that go for about $90pr.

Save your money. I doubt that you will hear much of a difference if any with the gear that you have. If you have doubts, try and borrow a pair of better IC's. The money would be better spent on a good usb cable if you get into computer music or save for a good external DAC. Just my 2 cents for what ever that is worth. My main system consists of about $25K worth of gear, and speaker cables and power cables have not made a difference, IC's have made very subtle differences occasionally and some have not. USB cables have made major differences. I know that others have had better experience with different IC's.
    Well I now have a USB input and a laptop full of lossless files. What USB cable would you recommend?

What is your budget and what length of cable do you need? Does your system sound warm, neutral or bright?
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I came across a pair of Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval speaker cables locally. Quite costly even used ($1,000). These are 9AWG silver over copper. Are these what you are referring to?
    The Big Silver would most certainly improve your system, but its a silver cable thats directed at much more expensive gear.

I see you have a Marantz PM8005 integrated amp. Marantz SA8004 SACD player and Focal speakers! Thats a very nice system!

I wouldn't go silver cables or interconnects with that gear as it doesn't need silver unless you are not shooting for a neutral sound but a brighter sound. You would do best with a good copper as it will give you a bit more body though out the entire music spectrum. And please know you can hear a difference in cables with your gear. every cable I've added to my systems over the years I have heard a difference. It just depends on synergy. If there is no synergy, you wont hear it, infact it may make it sound bad. Its about the right gear, be it cables, power cords, amps or whatever.

The Analysis Plus Oval Ones would be a great choice at its price point, and its copper. But in your system, I would go up a notch to the Copper Oval-In MICRO Interconnects.
    Home Audio | Analysis Plus

You will get better resolution with excellent bass and mids...and you will hear better resolution on every note, with cymbals hanging in the air. They are $346 for 1 meter pair. Also that matching speaker cables would be great to compliment the sound. The New Black Oval 12. You can get a 6Ft pair for $218.90 and 8FT pair for $269. Youd be very happy with that set of cables.

Also, please know you can even enhance your listening pleasure by simply getting your amp and CDP off their feet and onto some nice inexpensive isolation devices. Youd be surprised by all the smearing of sound you have, but you never know until you take care of the smearing problems
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Forum Regular
    Well - after reading countless threads / reviews etc., and stalking all the usual used equipment sites, I managed to secure a nice 12 foot pair of Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables. There is no question they have made a sonic improvement over the BJC Belden 5000 cables. Hard to describe the difference - slightly less "scratchy" in the treble (if that make any sense). Was it worth $400? Yes for me as it satisfied my curiosity if an upgrade would make a difference. I also am awaiting the delivery of an AZ Super 1 IC that I found for $75 - hope it also contributes to some level of sonic improvement.

I started this pursuit hoping to spend $1,000 on an entire system. I am now bumping up to almost $2,500, but I am elated with the results. I think I have stumbled upon a very happy marraige of components, speakers and , now, cables.

The unintended consequences is an almost addictive tendency to buy more music. Every equipment review has included reference to recordings praised for their audio quality, many of which I had never heard before. These have become the true reward of this little adventure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information