AR Newbie Registered Member

Exclamation help me buy new speaker

hello, im new to the forums. I recently blew out my dads speaker playing some music quite loud (but the volume was only at half ), and would like to replace or repair his speakers. They are infinity reference five.
    Power Rating................25-200 watts per channel, RMS
    Frequency Response.....40hz-40kHz +/- 3 DB
    crossover Frequency......300Hz, 4000hz
    Efficiency.......................90db @ 1 watt, 1 meter
    nominal impedance... 6 ohms

i would like to know about how much it would cost repair, or if these speakers or worth anything, or should i just get new speakers for him. He payed $250 each for them back then, and if i were to buy a new set of speakers, they would have to be about the same size, would have to have a similar dark wood finish. not sure how much i would like to pay for a new set of speakers. If someone could tell me if the speakers right now are worth repairing or just scrap that would be great, just need someone to point me in the right direction, thanks
    -colby

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colby44
    hello, im new to the forums. I recently blew out my dads speaker playing some music quite loud (but the volume was only at half ), and would like to replace or repair his speakers. They are infinity reference five.
    Power Rating................25-200 watts per channel, RMS
    Frequency Response.....40hz-40kHz +/- 3 DB
    crossover Frequency......300Hz, 4000hz
    Efficiency.......................90db @ 1 watt, 1 meter
    nominal impedance... 6 ohms

i would like to know about how much it would cost repair, or if these speakers or worth anything, or should i just get new speakers for him. He payed $250 each for them back then, and if i were to buy a new set of speakers, they would have to be about the same size, would have to have a similar dark wood finish. not sure how much i would like to pay for a new set of speakers. If someone could tell me if the speakers right now are worth repairing or just scrap that would be great, just need someone to point me in the right direction, thanks
    -colby

Colby welcome to AudioReview. Which drivers are damaged? The damage to the surround is more a factor of the age of the speaker than anything you have done. Foam surrounds crack and crumble with age. There are many companies that can replace the surrounds or you can buy a kit and do it yourself. I have not done it myself but we have members who have and they can be of more help.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

i just believe the mid ranges are destroyed on the edge from what i could tell, they are 12" i believe

Quote Originally Posted by colby44
    i just believe the mid ranges are destroyed on the edge from what i could tell, they are 12" i believe
    I presume you mean the woofers

looks like simple overexcursion...
    the surrounds are broken from what I can see, easy repairable. It does get a problem when you fried the woofer though...
    but most likely you just broke the surrounds...

so a simple refoam job will do. You can do this yourself (it's not really that hard, or let your dad do it if you think you can't do it yourself, Or send the woofers in for repair...

check www.simplyspeakers.com for refoam kits (I think they'll have the refoam kit you need.) send them a mail to ask if they have them for sure...

specs say your speakers have a 10" woofer in a 11" frame, if it's the kit I think it is, it should cost you like $40 each, so that's much less than what you would have to pay to have a similar speaker that performs as good as this one.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Last edited by basite; 04-01-2008 at 02:29 AM.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    I presume you mean the woofers

looks like simple overexcursion...
    the surrounds are broken from what I can see, easy repairable. It does get a problem when you fried the woofer though...
    but most likely you just broke the surrounds...

so a simple refoam job will do. You can do this yourself (it's not really that hard, or let your dad do it if you think you can't do it yourself, Or send the woofers in for repair...

check www.simplyspeakers.com for refoam kits (I think they'll have the refoam kit you need.) send them a mail to ask if they have them for sure...

specs say your speakers have a 10" woofer in a 11" frame, if it's the kit I think it is, it should cost you like $40 each, so that's much less than what you would have to pay to have a similar speaker that performs as good as this one.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Yeah i meant woofers XD. How do you know what size they are? Thanks for the help, going to go that instead of buying a whole new set

Forum Regular
    I hope those emit tweets are in great shape after you did that. if those are damaged, they can be VERY expensive to replace.

well i really think that they should be in tip top shape i dont see why they wouldn't be

Thread Information