Forum Regular

different thread, different question

ok, thanks to yall that read these,, think about it, and reply a great answer.
    i want to know what people can tell me about using either (A) a floorstander, and (B) bookshelves with a subwoofer.

i am waiting for the audience 52se's. but, should i consider the 62, 72 or a floorstander in general?

again, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nusiclover
    ok, thanks to yall that read these,, think about it, and reply a great answer.
    i want to know what people can tell me about using either (A) a floorstander, and (B) bookshelves with a subwoofer.

i am waiting for the audience 52se's. but, should i consider the 62, 72 or a floorstander in general?

again, thanks

There is only one difference that I can think of why a bookshelf sub combo cannot do the same thing as a pair of floorstanders.( assuming the sub crossover is set correctly to account for the rolloff gap in the lower bass frequencies of your typical bookshelf speaker). A sub would be mono bass from the crossover frequency down. With floorstanders you would have stereo bass down to somewhere between 88 hz and 50 hz, then you can no longer tell the source direction of the bass.
    Even with floorstanders you might want a sub to fill out the bottom octave (below 40 hz). This isn't all that important however since few instruments go below 40 hz. A bass guitar's lowest range is around 40 hz. Your typical floorstander can play to 40 hz or lower, so unless you listen to pipe organ music or Taiko drums you only really need a sub for Home Theater sound effects in this case.

F1
    In relation with your other thread; you'll be using Marantz SR6400, right?
    It's better to use Audience 52 and cut the lower frequency for subwoofer to handle. This way you reduce a great deal of load on the receiver since the load is transfered to subwoofer. Low freq requires more current so leave it to the subwoofer.

Forum Regular

F1 is right

Your Marantz isn't very happy with the speaker load. In a full range situation, it isn't a very appropriate piece. But, engage the crossover so the receiver doesn't have to deal with the bass demands, and you will be just fine.

But buy a good sub.
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

Thread Information