Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    Hey guys, it's been a while, but I still haven't decided on a speaker and I've actually upped my budget to between $300 to $400. I have been looking closely at some different speakers than what this thread was initially about as well, some of which you advised zepman...

Infinity P362 (if I can catch it onsale at Frys again)
    Infinity P162
    Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE
    KEF iQ3
    Infinity P162
    Axiom M3 v2
    SVS SCS-01

AV123 doesn't have the x-bookshelf on their website anymore.

I'm really looking for the speaker that is the LEAST fatigue sounding, since I usually always have music playing, and play music while I sleep. I also want it to sound fairly neutral and smooth, and not overemphasize one area (treble for instance). And of course, I want it to be able to sound good at low and moderate to high levels without sounding muddy or stressed. And if it helps, I don't listen to any country, classical, or jazz. I listen to mostly Rock/ Alternative Rock/ Progressive Rock/ Indie/ Electronic/ Ambient/ Experimental/ Reggae/ Hip Hop... And I really can't afford to buy all of them to audition and send the losers back... so based on that can you hypothesize which speaker I would like best?

edit: I also found a pair of Energy RC-10's on audiogon for $300... how would those compare to everything that has been mentioned?
    Last edited by exospire; 10-27-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by exospire
    Hey guys, it's been a while, but I still haven't decided on a speaker and I've actually upped my budget to between $300 to $400. I have been looking closely at some different speakers than what this thread was initially about as well, some of which you advised zepman...

Infinity P362 (if I can catch it onsale at Frys again)
    Infinity P162
    Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE
    KEF iQ3
    Infinity P162
    Axiom M3 v2
    SVS SCS-01

AV123 doesn't have the x-bookshelf on their website anymore.

I'm really looking for the speaker that is the LEAST fatigue sounding, since I usually always have music playing, and play music while I sleep. I also want it to sound fairly neutral and smooth, and not overemphasize one area (treble for instance). And of course, I want it to be able to sound good at low and moderate to high levels without sounding muddy or stressed. And if it helps, I don't listen to any country, classical, or jazz. I listen to mostly Rock/ Alternative Rock/ Progressive Rock/ Indie/ Electronic/ Ambient/ Experimental/ Reggae/ Hip Hop... And I really can't afford to buy all of them to audition and send the losers back... so based on that can you hypothesize which speaker I would like best?

edit: I also found a pair of Energy RC-10's on audiogon for $300... how would those compare to everything that has been mentioned?

The RC-10's fit in nicely with the group you have above. New, these would be out of your price range I think. The only problem with audiogon is you can't audition before you purchase. Keep in mind these only have a 5.5" woofer and have titanium tweets I think, which can be more fatiguing. I have not heard this speaker, but on the whole, I think metal tweeters are brighter than silk/textile tweeters, especially in these lower price ranges. If you are really concerned about the speakers being bright, and can't audition, I would stick with silk dome tweeters.

Too bad the X-LS is no longer available. I think that would have been a great fit for you. AV123 is coming out with a new x-LS superwave guide version, for maybe $400, but I don't think it is available yet. I saw on the AV123 forum, that eventually the x-LS will be available again. It is being re-tooled so to speak.

If you have a local audio store, they can often let you borrow a pair of demo speakers, and you don't have to buy them. Just another option to keep in mind. Maybe this is not an option for you.

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by exospire
    I usually always have music playing, and play music while I sleep. I listen to mostly Rock/ Alternative Rock/ Progressive Rock/ Indie/ Electronic/ Ambient/ Experimental/ Reggae/ Hip Hop
    Would you mind revealing the brand of sleeping pills you take?

RR6

Forum Regular
    Haha, no sleeping pills, I just find it relaxing. I don't listen to rock or hip hop when I sleep, but I will play some coldplay, m83, sigur ros, beach house, portishead, avett brothers, or khonnor

Forum Regular
    zepman - I really wish they had those X-LS bookshelfs too! I've read so much about them but haven't even seen what they look like. How much longer do you think until they come back? I think I'm goona email AV123 and hopefully find out

I've also been investigating 'package deals' from Elemental Designs because you can save on average about 15%

Elemental Designs A6 6T6 pair + A2 250 Sub = $586

Anyone know how the A2 250 sub compares to the Acculine Asub?

What happened to the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2's. I think that they would sound better than the Infinity Primus which have the ugliest grills I have ever seen on a speaker. My daughter has the Primus 160's and while they are a good sounding speaker for $180pr they in no way would compare to some of the Monitor Audio S2's RS2's, PSB and some of the others you are considering. The infinity's certainly are not warm sounding. The monitor audio's are.

If you can find a pair onsale, look at the NHT Classic 2's. They have a nice warm detailed sound with very nice bass. I've occasionally seen them for about $440. They and the Classic Three's blew away the paradigm monitors when compared side by side at the NHT-Paradigm dealer here in Minneapolis.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I wouldn't be ruling out the Wharfedale's if I was you. If you are concerned about a warm sound, they are definitely not at all on the bright side. A very nice sounding speaker if that is your thing.

Here's a review on the PSB B-25 http://www.psbspeakers.com/reviews/S...hile-Image-B25 List is $479, onsale at saturdayaudio.com for $299
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I like the looks of the B-25's, they are on my short list. Great price at Saturday audio too. IF you had to buy any of the speakers you are considering without a demo first, these might be the way to go based on price and PSB's excellent reputation.

Exospire, here's the speaker you should consider buying and forgo the sub for now- http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/produ...ge=2&product=4

http://saturdayaudio.com/picturepage...o_specials.htm

The Monitor Audio S6's. $579pr is a steal for a very good speaker. List is $1K.
    I would much rather have this speaker over any of the other speakers you are looking at along with a sub. This will give you a much better sound overall. Buy these and get a sub at a later date for use with HT.

Here's some reviews- http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/306monitor/

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/cms/u...6WHFGT207a.pdf
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp