Got new speakers

Printable View

• 02-01-2007, 03:46 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Got new speakers
    I just got new Sony SS-MB150H speakers and they sound soo great I am impressed with the highs compaired to my old HLS410. They have more bass and more power and highs are soo clear and I can hear higher sounds now since they go up to 50khz. My other one rolled off before 20khz so i couldnt hear the highs well. I am glad I got these $49.95 pair speakers. :) I got them at Best Buy
  • 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    They sold the speakers for $56 but I had printed a sheet from Sonystyle.com and showed them the lower price and they priced matched.
  • 02-01-2007, 03:52 PM
    emorphien
    I highly doubt you're hearing much more at the high end. Particularly from a $56 pair of speakers, and more interestingly, from a pair I've heard. I'm glad you like them, but I can guarantee they aren't going as high as they claim they do.
  • 02-01-2007, 03:58 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Well it uses the same tweeters as the ones that costed $280 from Sony. So the highs are the exact same. The woofer meteral is the same too as the bigger ones but just the bigger ones has a larger driver.

SS-MF750H

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/%3Cw...nents_Speakers
  • 02-01-2007, 04:10 PM
    emorphien
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpankingVanillaice
    Well it uses the same tweeters as the ones that costed $280 from Sony.

I hope you realize that doesn't really mean anything.

Quote:

So the highs are the exact same.
    Probably, but that means they're awful. Unrefined, sibilant, muddy and unintelligible.
  • 02-01-2007, 04:15 PM
    topspeed
    Unless you're part dog...something I'm not prepared to completely rule out...you can't hear above 20khz. But that doesn't really matter anyway, does it?

Enjoy your speakers.
  • 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Now my question is that is it better to have the grills off or on for better sound. I would think off is better but what do you guys think?
  • 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emorphien
    I hope you realize that doesn't really mean anything.

Probably, but that means they're awful. Unrefined, sibilant, muddy and unintelligible.

Well if you say they are not clear then why are they more clear than my JBL HLS410?
  • 02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
    emorphien
    Quote:

Well if you say they are not clear then why are they more clear than my JBL HLS410?

Either your JBLs are worse, or you're fooling yourself. And I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you think they sound clearer because you were convinced that would be the case before you bought them.

Quote:

Now my question is that is it better to have the grills off or on for better sound. I would think off is better but what do you guys think?

Off, generally speaking. My new speakers didn't even come with grills.

Regardless, if you wanted cheap speakers the Insignias that Best Buy carries are better than the Sonys you bought.
  • 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM
    topspeed
    OK, I'll play along...
    Quote:

Let's try this for sh!ts and giggles:

1) Plug your speakers into your receiver. Oh wait...you don't have one. Soooooo, go into the living room and steal your receiver back from your Mom and then plug it in.

Your speaker. Not your Mom.

2) Turn the receiver on...

No...wait...No...STOP DANCING! That's not what I meant, dammit! Just push the little button that says "Power"!

3) Put on some tunes. No, not cartoons. Music, radio, CD, or if you can, try XM's Disney Channel. That should be right up your alley...not that there's anything wrong with that.

4) Listen to an entire song with the grills on.

5) Walk over to the speaker and take the grills off. If you used a cd, hit the back button (again, not that there's anything wrong with that) and listen to the same song again.

6) Decide which sounds better to you.

Viola!
  • 02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    I guess the biggest difference in the HLS410 and the Sonys is that the Sonys has alot more bass and lower end. The highs on the Sonys are better but just softer or warm type. I should say that JBL is usualy harsh on the highs. But I think the Sonys have more power putting out the high sounds that are around 20khz. The JBL was putting alot more power on the 16khz or so and rolls off around 20khz but my Sonys don't do that I can hear that the highs are powerful and clear aound 20khz since the highs can go upto 50khz. The bass is around 45hz it can go so it's alot lower than my HLS410 that can go 60hz when I used the test tone program. Sony says it only goes 80hz but I have a tone tester and it has gone down to 45hz loud and clear I was sooo amazed.
  • 02-01-2007, 05:19 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed
    Let's try this for sh!ts and giggles:

1) Plug your speakers into your receiver. Oh wait...you don't have one. Soooooo, go into the living room and steal your receiver back from your Mom and then plug it in.

Your speaker. Not your Mom.

2) Turn the receiver on...

No...wait...No...STOP DANCING! That's not what I meant, dammit! Just push the little button that says "Power"!

3) Put on some tunes. No, not cartoons. Music, radio, CD, or if you can, try XM's Disney Channel. That should be right up your alley...not that there's anything wrong with that.

4) Listen to an entire song with the grills on.

5) Walk over to the speaker and take the grills off. If you used a cd, hit the back button (again, not that there's anything wrong with that) and listen to the same song again.

6) Decide which sounds better to you.

Voila!

Well the receiver problem is already solved since my moms friend got her a new receiver so I have my Pioneer ones back. :)
  • 02-01-2007, 05:24 PM
    Carl Reid
    OMG!!!!!!!!! Those Sony's sound AWESOME!!!!!! Do they really hit 50khz???

I'm also looking to buy some new bookshelf speakers (see my thread in this section), so maybe I should put the Sonys at the top of my list!!!!!!

:dita: :dita: :dita:
  • 02-01-2007, 05:27 PM
    royphil345
    I know someone who bought the SS-MF750H towers to play with in his basement. Didn't pay any $280.00...

They are built very cheaply in every way. Thin enclosures, plastic woofer frames, small magnets, only crossover is a capacitor to the mid and tweeter...

But... They sound surprisingly good. They are sort of a miracle of engineering, in that the frequency response is pretty flat with no adjustments made by a crossover network. The drivers are manufactured to work together fairly seamlessly with no additional parts required and it worked out better than you'd expect. The sound reminds me of some mid-priced speakers from the old days that were probably designed in a similar fashion.

They're not very efficient due to the small magnets on the drivers and you can't really run alot of power through them to compensate. My friend blew a midrange, hence the opportunity to look inside... Bass extension definitely seems limited compared to any other speaker I've heard with dual 8" woofers. There's a little bloat in the mid-bass. Much preferable to a thin / harsh sounding cheap speaker in my book though. The highs certainly don't have that "breath of life", but aren't harsh or grating either. "Laid back" is something you don't often find in a $100.00 tower speaker. I've always found the newer JBLs to be a bit harsh and probably would probably prefer the sound of the Sonys, even though the build quality does not compare. The price is right... Consumer Reports actually rated this line highly over some more expensive speakers. High-end they ain't... But, they don't sound shrill or harsh like many cheap speakers... Not bad at all for jamming loud rock in the basement...

I haven't heard the bookshelves. I'd imagine they're a little bass shy for a larger bookshelf with an 8" woofer... It would probably be a toss up between them and the smaller Insignias though. Similar sound... not precise... not offensive...

Woah... The 150s??? I thought he was talking about the bigger bookshelves!!! I don't even think Sony intended those to be used as mains!!! Probably just offered them as cheap surrounds for the cheap speakers in that line... Sorry... The Insignias probably would smoke them.
  • 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    I do think that if you want shaking bass then you should go with the floorstanding ones like the SS-MF550 since they have bigger drivers and more power. For my med sized bedroom the SS-MB150H is enough. Sony says that it goes 45hz on the SS-MF550H so that means that it will go ALOT lower than that so I think that would be a perfect speakers for living rooms. But if you really really want lowest bass ever then the SS-MF750H will do it since it goes 35hz according to the site so that means it will probley go down around 25hz or less.
  • 02-01-2007, 05:37 PM
    N. Abstentia
  • 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
    emorphien
    Quote:

I do think that if you want shaking bass then you should go with the floorstanding ones like the SS-MF550 since they have bigger drivers and more power. For my med sized bedroom the SS-MB150H is enough. Sony says that it goes 45hz on the SS-MF550H so that means that it will go ALOT lower than that so I think that would be a perfect speakers for living rooms. But if you really really want lowest bass ever then the SS-MF750H will do it since it goes 35hz according to the site so that means it will probley go down around 25hz or less.

Somehow I doubt the Sonys you bought are hitting 45Hz, maybe 90. Do you know how low 45Hz actually sounds (why am i asking?)

When will you get it through your thick skull and phallus filled ears that the specs Sony publishes are mostly worthless?
  • 02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
    SpankingVanillaice
    Quote:

Somehow I doubt the Sonys you bought are hitting 45Hz, maybe 90. Do you know how low 45Hz actually sounds (why am i asking?)

When will you get it through your thick skull and phallus filled ears that the specs Sony publishes are mostly worthless?

I KNOW how 45hz sounds like forsure OK. I can hear the my Sonys goes that low. Ya it's not going to be very powerful like the bigger driver ones but it does go that low. I have a sub that goes lower so I know how 45hz sounds like.
  • 02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Man oh Man

I wanna live in Spanky's world so I can save money on speakers and electronics

Never have to worry 'bout upgrading
  • 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Just Fuc@$ng Kidding Spanky
  • 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
    Rock789
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Reid
    OMG!!!!!!!!! Those Sony's sound AWESOME!!!!!! Do they really hit 50khz???

I'm also looking to buy some new bookshelf speakers (see my thread in this section), so maybe I should put the Sonys at the top of my list!!!!!!

:dita: :dita: :dita:

check out klh while your at it
    much better than the mini utopias ;o)
  • 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
    Rock789
    Quote:

Originally Posted by royphil345
    plastic woofer frames,

SAY WHAT?!:confused:
  • 02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Actually those Sony's are rated around -6db at 45 hz, so indeed if they can go down to 90hz (if that) you are lucky. A 45hz tone would probably destroy those crappy woofers in about a second.
  • 02-01-2007, 07:03 PM
    N. Abstentia
  • 02-01-2007, 07:06 PM
    Rock789
    not being mean, but from what I have read in several threads, I have to think either:
    1) SVI has mental issues (serious, not being mean)
    or
    2) SVI is having a huge laugh out of this forum (wouldn't be the 1st time)

it it's issue #1, please listen to us for help if you want help with audio... if you don't want to listen and you think your stuff is awsome, then cool, have fun with it...
    if it's issue #2, rock on man, you have to be rollin with this forum...

if I am totally lost, oh well,
    later
    Mike
  • 02-01-2007, 07:07 PM
    Rock789
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia

:rofl:
  • 02-01-2007, 07:12 PM
    Robert-The-Rambler
    I have 4 of those in the rear section of my theater
    Quote:

I just got new Sony SS-MB150H speakers and they sound soo great I am impressed with the highs compaired to my old HLS410. They have more bass and more power and highs are soo clear and I can hear higher sounds now since they go up to 50khz. My other one rolled off before 20khz so i couldnt hear the highs well. I am glad I got these $49.95 pair speakers. :) I got them at Best Buy

They sound very good as rear effects speakers and just for kicks I have had them turned off for a while and there really is a lot missing with only the 8 inchers in the rear on the floor. They add a lot to the soundstage. (FYI, I have 8 rear speakers) Yes, I am the guy with the setup with all the watts and so many of the Sony SS 150, 250, 550 series as some of you might have seen my thread about that. Anyhow, they do sound tremendous for the price. Who cares if they don't really hit 50khz because the only thing that matters is what we do hear and that is very crisp highs without the harshness of horn style tweeters. I'm saying THESE Sony speakers sound good. Preach the word brother Vanilla.
  • 02-01-2007, 07:24 PM
    Robert-The-Rambler
    The 150s cut off at 80hz
    Quote:

I guess the biggest difference in the HLS410 and the Sonys is that the Sonys has alot more bass and lower end. The highs on the Sonys are better but just softer or warm type. I should say that JBL is usualy harsh on the highs. But I think the Sonys have more power putting out the high sounds that are around 20khz. The JBL was putting alot more power on the 16khz or so and rolls off around 20khz but my Sonys don't do that I can hear that the highs are powerful and clear aound 20khz since the highs can go upto 50khz. The bass is around 45hz it can go so it's alot lower than my HLS410 that can go 60hz when I used the test tone program. Sony says it only goes 80hz but I have a tone tester and it has gone down to 45hz loud and clear I was sooo amazed.

Sure you might be able to hear something at lower than 80hz. It will probably not sound right and depending on how much power you are using you are risking damaging the speaker. I haven't even tried to put much pressure on them yet but I have plans to try to put 450 watts through them soon when I convert my home theater to all Behringer EP2500 amps. What is this tone tester program you are referring to? Are there programs we can download for our PCs to test that? I think that would be cool to fiddle with.
  • 02-01-2007, 07:32 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert-The-Rambler
    I have 8 rear speakers. Preach the word brother Vanilla.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tonespotter/wtf/wtf3213.jpg
  • 02-01-2007, 07:35 PM
    emorphien
    Quote:

moar cheap speakers in rear means more better!

8 $60 speakers is just like one pair of $480 speakers.
  • 02-01-2007, 07:36 PM
    N. Abstentia
    I can only get 2 speakers in my rear. Guess I'm not trying hard enough!
  • 02-01-2007, 07:46 PM
    Robert-The-Rambler
    It does mean more better!!!!!
    Quote:

moar cheap speakers in rear means more better!

8 $60 speakers is just like one pair of $480 speakers.

Actually my rears cost about $300 all together. They definitely sound a lot better than just a pair of $150 rears.
  • 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Actually my rears cost about $300 all together. They definitely sound a lot better than just a pair of $150 rears.

Yeah but do they go up to 50khz? If not, they're useless.
  • 02-01-2007, 07:50 PM
    Robert-The-Rambler
    Let me clarify
    Quote:

I can only get 2 speakers in my rear. Guess I'm not trying hard enough!

2 left surround, 2 left surround back, 2 right surround, 2 right surround back. One is on the floor and one is perched near the ceiling.
  • 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

2 left surround, 2 left surround back, 2 right surround, 2 right surround back. One is on the floor and one is perched near the ceiling.

Hmmm. Sounds ghetto-worthy!
  • 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
    Robert-The-Rambler
    You don't know the half of it!!!!!
    Quote:

Hmmm. Sounds ghetto-worthy!

The pair of Gemini 15" Bandpass DJ subs sure add to that aura.
  • 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM
    L.J.
    LJ walks into room....
    ....sits down and looks around for a bit. Says what hell and starts to smoke what everyone else is smoking :crazy:
  • 02-01-2007, 08:00 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

The pair of Gemini 15" Bandpass DJ subs sure add to that aura.

I like your center channel best. Using a computer power supply to drive a $39 4000 watt car amp is a nice touch!

http://static.flickr.com/9/69341439_57d33bfadd_m.jpg
  • 02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
    emorphien
    Quote:

:lol:
  • 02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
    Robert-The-Rambler
    Not smoking.... Just Listening....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by L.J.
    ....sits down and looks around for a bit. Says what hell and starts to smoke what everyone else is smoking :crazy:

Okay these Sony speakers sound not only good with Behringer EP2500 amps giving 450 watts of pure class H goodness but they also sound good with my Yamaha RXV-795a receiver in my bedroom. Not to mention that HD-DVD sounds awesome!!!!!