Forum Regular

Good Match for Studio 20v3

I have Studio 20 V3 for front and 470CC and ADP-470 for Side Surrounds. I really cant afford another pair of Studio 20v3 for rears so whats the other alternatives from other more affordable paradigm series. That will be more affordable but still sound right with my current setup

You may want to consider dipoles for your rears, such as another set of ADP-470's, or ADP-370's. See this article: http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudsp...25/index2.html

Otherwise I would audition the Paradigm Mini-Monitor or Paradigm Monitor 3.
    Last edited by elapsed; 10-01-2006 at 10:54 PM.

Mid-Fi
    I have the same issue of being short of dollar to upgrade surround speaker to match Studios. Using cheaper speakers for surround back is certainly good idea. I wonder how much sound that will come out from the back speakers from the limited DVD sources and how much difference we can tell from Studio back channels. If I were you, I would invest to the point that has the biggest improvement per dollar in the system, such as power of front channel, better sub or music performance...

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    For a brief while as I was selling my Studio 20's off I used a pair of Atoms as the rear surrounds.
    Honestly, for home theater, I can say I rarely noticed a sound difference in this application. They sound decent for $200 or whatever they cost now, and are voice matched to other Paradigm models. This just means the frequency response has similar characteristics. Not a perfect match, but close enough for rear duty.

As for how much they are used - I use mine for any DVD and TV source, regardless of whether it was encoded in 6.1/7.1 or not. The processing is quite convincing, and in my large room the gap behind me is filled much better. I hated not having the rear surrounds during my last upgrade. It in no way diminishes the other 5 channels, but really provides for a more enveloping sound field. I always advise people though to make sure they get the most out of 5.1 before uprading to 7.1. It may be worthwhile in many rooms to consider, but it's not the high on the benefit/dollar list. YMMV.

Mutant from table 9
    Another alternative is just to go with a single rear surround, i.e. 6.1. You can frequently find single speakers, including the Studio 20 on ebay. Half the speakers should equal half the cost.

But I agree with Kex, rear and side surrounds can make a huge difference depending on your room and preferences in filling that hole behind you.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys i will prolly go with one of the monitor series

Thread Information