Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RGA
    Forum Regular
    Unfortunately - you need to be careful about falling in love with an "idea" and actually bother to directly compare these technologies to determine how it fits.

Active speakers come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The dealer I most frequented (soundhounds) carries the big Meridian active speakers - and they sound pretty good - but hardly anything to rave about and they cost a LOT of money. And you can't alter the presentation because that's the way it comes. I can actually accept that - if Meridian views that as the ultimate sound then live and die with it I say - but it didn't exactly beat any of the non active speakers in the store hands down, as some here seem to indicate that it would (without ever auditioning them). Quad non active, Harbeth non active, Dynaudio non active, Sonus Faber non active, Magnepan non active, B&W non active were all just as good in some ways better and some ways not.

I have heard active systems from PMC, ATC, and Genelec and a few others. As hi-fi they all sound pretty awesome. If that's the sound you're after go for it. But do do the side by side comparisons level matched - and f you are really persuaded by specs and technology do it blind.

Forum Regular
    Back to OP.

I found the info on the Voxativ's award over at diyAudio with some interesting follow up quotes which are related to it's common diy design and not it's outrageous price tag.

"It's good to see our little niche of the audio world get some mainstream recognition. This speaker beat out newest versions of the B&W 800, Magico Q5 and Wilson Sophia for the honor."

"All of us can't be completely crazy about what we hear. B&W, Magico and Wilson can continue to blend dissimilar ( dones to cones made from different materials ) and stick them in inert boxes as long as there's a market for them but WE hear the problems crossovers make and WE hear the benefits a more elaborate, more difficult, optimized box can produce. We also hear the benefits no box at all can produce ( open baffle ) and still choose to utilize our favorite full range drivers rather than woofers that go up to 2.5k and tweeters that give you tinnitus"

"Having heard expensive, multi-driver speakers from Dynaudio, and the above mentioned brands, I must say I've never been envoius of their wares after listening to them."

"Wait until all those little, inexpensive digital amps begin trumping Krell and other expensive solid state...and tube amps. I think the sub $50 Sonic Impact was rated class D in Stereophile a couple years ago. The Hi-End was in trouble for being more expensive but there may come a time the sound of 'traditional' technology is trumped by simplicity and application "

The author of the last three quotes was the first to go with the Tang Band 1808 OB's over H-Frame Alphas which I duplicated and rejoice over daily.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA View Post
    Unfortunately - you need to be careful about falling in love with an "idea" and actually bother to directly compare these technologies to determine how it fits.
    Agreed. Proof of the pudding is in the....

At the end of the day execution will matter far more than the concept...

Ajani
    To get back to the OP... I just received my digital copy of the latest Stereophile and am still perplexed as to how the Voxativ Ampeggio won Product of the year! It was only runner up in Speaker of the Year category (beaten by the Magico Q5), so how did it win Product of the year?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Magazines are incredibly inconsistent on these "awards."

How many people agree with the academy Award winner for Best picture?

GO back to 1990 and look at all the nominations and winners - I think I agree with them 3 times - maybe 5 more that were in the ballpark - and the rest I would not have had in my top 10.

While some voters let their maid's fill in the ballot at least for the most part the voters are in the business and there are thousands of people voting. So there is a clear consensus.

With audio gear - take our magazine - we have something like 10 writers - very few of us have heard a given amp in our system. If we were to do an "awards" section - it would basically come down to the reviewer and the editor - 2 people (as it is WHOLLY done at Stereophile. It comes down to John Atkinson - if he likes it it gets class A - if he doesn't it doesn't. PERIOD.

So it should be the John Atkinson product of the year award not Stereophile - since the magazine is not one person.

Jack Roberts on our staff loves the Teresonic Ingenium - He owns them and loves them - so he would probably vote for it being award worthy. I heard it at a show and loved the sound - so I might back him (although it's less credible being under show conditions). I bet no one else on staff has had these speakers at home in their system.

And that is true at Stereophile and TAS. In fact there is clear evidence that a reviewer will give something class A but it winds up getting class B. The editor supercedes the reviewer. The award is given solely and entirely by the editor.

It's their magazine after all - but an award implies that there is some reviewing body who came together and agreed upon a given product. That is not happening at the magazines that give out such awards. Hi-Fi Choice has the decency to call the award "the Editor's Choice Award" so at least you know ONE person made the call.

If I chose best pictures - Pulp Fiction, Leaving Las Vegas, and Goodfellas would have one - A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator and Lord of the Rings would not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information